“TRY TO SLEEP WITH SOMETHING MOVING IN THE ATTIC !”
Review of Toghill House Farm

Toghill House Farm
Ranked #1 of 5 Wick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2010

My 2nd visit.
First time was in a room beside the road and you could hear every single car trundling past. Shower was limp too. However, the room had its own mini kitchen with Microwave (I was not self-catering), so instead of seeking an evening meal locally, I went to a supermarket, then brought back and microwaved my own dinner, saving pounds.
Have just returned from 2nd visit, where I asked to be away from the road and was given upstairs room (No.11) in The Barn. The TV was without picture, just "No Signal" on screen. Mentioned it to staff, as I went out for evening. Fixed on return.
Shower was better, but I've never known an instant electric shower where you had to wait a while for the water to become hot.
Four-poster bed, but too firm mattress.
At bedtime, it became obvious that I was not alone. There was something scurrying around in the attic right above my head. The scratching sounds continued at intervals throughout the night. Scary as hell. When the dawn came, so did the chirping. I'd thought it was rats, but it was a bird -- or birds. Ruined my sleep though.
Told the owner about my lack of TV reception and having no sleep all night, through fear of being invaded.
Was there even the suggestion of a reduction from the bill ? ... you're kidding.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank StevenageFullEnglish
There are newer reviews for Toghill House Farm

Reviewed 17 May 2010

We stayed in a barn room that could accomodate 5 people - perfect for a girls weekend away when enjoying the spa and shopping delights of near-by Bath. It had self-catering facilities but the breakfast service was so good that the toaster never saw a slice! With lovely, welcoming pubs such as the Rose and Crown in Wick serving a huge range of reasonably priced, hearty dinners we never dirtied a pan either.. You do need to take a taxi (which are fairly pricey for the distance travelled) or drive to get anywhere but when we got stuck at the pub without one the landlady took us home instead - proper country hospitality! A really great country get-away that had us all relaxed and wishing we didn't have to go back to work on Monday... would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank doo_darling
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The most important thing to remember that this is a B&B not a Hotel. You wont get wall-to-wall hot & cold running luxury, but if you want a comfortable place to stay away from the noise & chaos of Bath/ the east side of Bristol, this is it.

We have used both cottages and the B&B rooms in the main house. Both are comfortable but not luxurious. Breakfast is basic (no menu/choice, you just get given a cooked breakfast as it comes). Service can be a little vague at times.

However, staying so close to a working livery stable is fascinating - lots for kids to look at - plus sheep & hens. It isnt a Four Star Hotel but is warm, laid-back and simple.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank returnmigrant
Reviewed 3 October 2009

My wife and I spent 2 weeks travelling Oxfordshire, Devon and Cornwall with only a vague itinery and hence no pre-booked accommodation. We relied on daily wireless internet access to seek our next B&B or Farm Stay. The reviews we read of Toghill Farm were mixed but our stay prooved the one scathing review we read as totally missleading. The hosts were most welcoming and friendly and even allowed us to use their own computer in the kitchen to look for our next accommodation when our little notebook PC struggled to receive a wireless signal through the old house's thick stone walls. The rooms were quite spacious and beds comfortable (we were provided a different room across the hall when we decided to extend our stay to a second night, as our first room had been pre-booked). The laundry facilities were an added bonus as we had been travelling for more than a month by the time we arrived at Toghill. Although surrounded by farmland with views in all directions, being only 5 minutes drive to the park and ride allowed us easy access to Bath.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Warooka
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Really surprised at the bad reviews. A few of us stayed here last weekend to attend a wedding in the area. The place is lovely with big garden/outside area with lovely benches and swings to sit in. The two dogs and cat that live there are friendly and adorable.The rooms arent fancy, nor would you expect them to be for the price, but clean and comfortable with everything you need - even a corkscrew for when we came home at 1am from the wedding and sat outside in the lovely garden having a nightcap. Breakfast again was not spectacular but perfectly adequate and did the job. The girls who worked eer were incredibly friendly and the price at less than 80 quid for a big double room is frankly unbeatable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank charlisays
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We received a very warm welcome from the ladies at Toghill Farm. The House is very pretty with lovely flowers around. We travelled as a group of 7 – my husband and I (stayed in a double room in the barn) was travelling with my elderly parents (who stayed in a twin room on the first floor in the front house) and my brother with his 2 adult children (they shared the room in the front house with double bed and a single bed). In the house, my family slept comfortable and sound. They had a lovely view across the road onto the farm land with sheep on the other side. I was a bit disappointed with our room. It was a little more expensive (only £4 more), but on Laterooms had it described as lovely views across to Bristol. There was only a small roof window in our room and I had to stand on something to see out of it. The bed in our room was also a bit uncomfortable – both my husband and I woke up with sore backs – and the bed was noisy. As I said, my family did not have the same experience in the house, so I would suggest a room in the house rather. Other than the uncomfortable and noisy bed, we enjoyed our stay at Toghill Farm.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Gavson
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I have never written a review of any B&B/Hotel before, but I feel moved to with this place, particularly since it promised such nice things on its website, and I read that it is supposedly B&B 4 diamonds.

We stayed in a self-catering apartment for one night, on our way back to London from Cornwall, so I can't comment on rooms in the House itself.

Firstly the good stuff. The place is clean, there's lots of fresh air and open space, and you can see horses, lambs and pigs on the farm, which is great. There's also a nice swing in the garden.

And now the not so good. Our welcome was a perfunctory hello. Our room did not have a travel cot set up in it, and when the hostess brought one (we have an 19 month old son), she left the box standing in the room and left. We had to set up the cot, and somehow make the cot up with sheets already available in the room, because she hadn't provided cot sheets. The cot smelt horrible like it had been in storage and it was a bit too rickety for my husband and I to feel totally comfortable with.

The decoration in the apartment was old-fashioned and uninspiring. We were staying on a working farm and there were those little sachets of long-life milk in the fridge! The TV reception was so poor that we didn't get ITV (we were 4 miles outside Bath for god's sake!) and if had intended to stay for any longer than 1 night, then there is no doubt that we would have left immediately.

Breakfast was horrible. We felt like we were on a conveyor belt of guests from start to end. The breakfast room itself is quite pretty. But we couldn't even request what type of egg we wanted. Fine if you like fried eggs I guess, and also if you enjoy mushrooms which taste like water, and wrinkly old tomatoes.

Afterwards we had to queue in a big line with the other guests in order to pay. No smile, no personal service. They just took our money and we left. How lovely.

In short, stay here if you must. Stay here if you are desperate. But there is better out there. It's well worth looking for it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank horp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
Crown Inn at Tolldown

Been to Toghill House Farm? Share your experiences!