“Good for the price”
Review of Toghill House Farm

Toghill House Farm
Ranked #1 of 5 Wick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2010

A nice country inn outside of Bath. The room was quaint, though a bit dirty, the box-spring (I actually checked for bedbugs.....didn't find any) was so dusty/dirty. The price was fair. They had a ringer for their house phone outside my room (it's a working farm), didn't appreciate it ringing at all times.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank thills1

Reviewed 30 October 2010

My friend and I finally found the place in the dark, but were not greeted in the usual friendly B&B manner, and wondered if we had the right place. We were given a key and directions to the top of the house for our room. Up we struggled and found the room.
We'd known when booking it would be a gable room, and it was a cozy, unique feel. We stayed in our room and made use of the okay tea-making facilities and the telly.

There were at least four dogs running around on the ground floor, belonging to the farm. My friend, allergic to dogs, suffered even up in our gable room. I'm not sure if I missed the notification on the website when we booked it, but if you're allergic to animals, I would definitely steer clear of this place.

Our sleep was good, but in the morning, the shower didn't quite work. Due to the slope of the roof, the shower was a showerhead hooked to the taps of the bathtub. Except it wouldn't stay on, giving my friend a difficult time. I didn't bother and just took a short shallow bath.
The room was fairly clean and nothing to argue about.

The breakfast was a big disappointment. We weren't given the option to ask for certain items on the full breakfast to be left off, like mushrooms and fried bread. We asked anyway.
I discovered my glass dirty, with a tiny moth in it. After getting up the courage to point this out to the nice serving woman, she said "Oh!" and walked off with it. No apology, and certainly no replacement glass.
One of the servers, only a few years younger than me at 28, did not look professional in a hoody and uggs.
Finally, when attempting to pay and leave, I spent several minutes in the foyer until I stopped one of the workers passing through and asked if I could pay for my stay.
That's when the shock of the cost of a disappointing stay hit, but I held my tongue and paid and left. The woman I paid was very kind in giving us detailed, written directions to our next destination.

The place has potential, with very simple things that could be changed. Better quality food, perhaps a choice of what to offer guests so there's no wasted food on the plate, and just some friendly service!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fenedin
Reviewed 29 May 2010

My 2nd visit.
First time was in a room beside the road and you could hear every single car trundling past. Shower was limp too. However, the room had its own mini kitchen with Microwave (I was not self-catering), so instead of seeking an evening meal locally, I went to a supermarket, then brought back and microwaved my own dinner, saving pounds.
Have just returned from 2nd visit, where I asked to be away from the road and was given upstairs room (No.11) in The Barn. The TV was without picture, just "No Signal" on screen. Mentioned it to staff, as I went out for evening. Fixed on return.
Shower was better, but I've never known an instant electric shower where you had to wait a while for the water to become hot.
Four-poster bed, but too firm mattress.
At bedtime, it became obvious that I was not alone. There was something scurrying around in the attic right above my head. The scratching sounds continued at intervals throughout the night. Scary as hell. When the dawn came, so did the chirping. I'd thought it was rats, but it was a bird -- or birds. Ruined my sleep though.
Told the owner about my lack of TV reception and having no sleep all night, through fear of being invaded.
Was there even the suggestion of a reduction from the bill ? ... you're kidding.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank StevenageFullEnglish
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We stayed in a barn room that could accomodate 5 people - perfect for a girls weekend away when enjoying the spa and shopping delights of near-by Bath. It had self-catering facilities but the breakfast service was so good that the toaster never saw a slice! With lovely, welcoming pubs such as the Rose and Crown in Wick serving a huge range of reasonably priced, hearty dinners we never dirtied a pan either.. You do need to take a taxi (which are fairly pricey for the distance travelled) or drive to get anywhere but when we got stuck at the pub without one the landlady took us home instead - proper country hospitality! A really great country get-away that had us all relaxed and wishing we didn't have to go back to work on Monday... would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank doo_darling
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The most important thing to remember that this is a B&B not a Hotel. You wont get wall-to-wall hot & cold running luxury, but if you want a comfortable place to stay away from the noise & chaos of Bath/ the east side of Bristol, this is it.

We have used both cottages and the B&B rooms in the main house. Both are comfortable but not luxurious. Breakfast is basic (no menu/choice, you just get given a cooked breakfast as it comes). Service can be a little vague at times.

However, staying so close to a working livery stable is fascinating - lots for kids to look at - plus sheep & hens. It isnt a Four Star Hotel but is warm, laid-back and simple.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank returnmigrant
Reviewed 3 October 2009

My wife and I spent 2 weeks travelling Oxfordshire, Devon and Cornwall with only a vague itinery and hence no pre-booked accommodation. We relied on daily wireless internet access to seek our next B&B or Farm Stay. The reviews we read of Toghill Farm were mixed but our stay prooved the one scathing review we read as totally missleading. The hosts were most welcoming and friendly and even allowed us to use their own computer in the kitchen to look for our next accommodation when our little notebook PC struggled to receive a wireless signal through the old house's thick stone walls. The rooms were quite spacious and beds comfortable (we were provided a different room across the hall when we decided to extend our stay to a second night, as our first room had been pre-booked). The laundry facilities were an added bonus as we had been travelling for more than a month by the time we arrived at Toghill. Although surrounded by farmland with views in all directions, being only 5 minutes drive to the park and ride allowed us easy access to Bath.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Warooka
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Really surprised at the bad reviews. A few of us stayed here last weekend to attend a wedding in the area. The place is lovely with big garden/outside area with lovely benches and swings to sit in. The two dogs and cat that live there are friendly and adorable.The rooms arent fancy, nor would you expect them to be for the price, but clean and comfortable with everything you need - even a corkscrew for when we came home at 1am from the wedding and sat outside in the lovely garden having a nightcap. Breakfast again was not spectacular but perfectly adequate and did the job. The girls who worked eer were incredibly friendly and the price at less than 80 quid for a big double room is frankly unbeatable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank charlisays

Been to Toghill House Farm? Share your experiences!