“Exceeded my expectations”

Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wick
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel could not be faulted. The staff were helpful and courteous, the room was clean, spacious and well-appointed and breakfast was of good quality and plentiful. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank davidgaukroger
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Good Morning,

I'm writing to offer you our sincere thanks for taking the time to write a review in light of your stay with us.

Over the last six months Tracy Park has undertaken a huge overhaul of its processes, costings and services available and whilst we have more developments in place for 2014 we are so grateful that our hard work is resulting in such complimentary feedback!

We welcome any further suggestions you may have and we hope you'll consider us again in 2014!

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I reviewed this location on 16 August 2013 following several unsuccessful attempts to book a golf break there for my wife and I, on 29 August. Following this review, a day or two later, I used YourGolfTravel to make the booking for me as there was no difference in cost.

In the meantime Matthew Wofinden, the Marketing and PR Director put a response to my comments on TripAdvisor. As a result of this Matthew and I had a number of emailed correspondences about the issues I had raised.

From what Matthew told me and from other information I picked up during my visit, it is clear that the hotel has undergone a great deal of turmoil in past few years having been in different ownership. It now seems clear that the current management are totally committed to bringing the hotel up to a far higher standard. Currently a 3 star location, it is clear that there is an intention to seek upgrading to 4 star when currently planned changes have been implemented

At the time I tried to make my booking there were clearly significant problems with the IT installation and these are slowly being ironed out. Many of the staff including some senior management have only been working there for a little over three weeks and struggling hard to achieve the standards they aspire to.

For instance the newly appointed receptionist, Jessie, although only having been in post three was highly professional both when we booked in and the previous afternoon over the telephone, when she also arranged the booking of buggies, when it proved difficult to contact the Pro Shop.

I saw a range of rooms from the most basic right through to those in the Carriage Suite. The basic rooms are scheduled for immediate refurbishment and I was told that the sum of £5000 has been allocated to upgrade each of these rooms. With this amount of expenditure, even the basic rooms will become quite palatial.

The food quality and service for both dinner and breakfast were both excellent and the restaurant in the baronial hall was quite exquisite.

The golf courses too were fine. The Cromwell proved to be very exciting and challenging and whilst the Crown course was less arduous, it was still a tough little course to negotiate. Only the greens need some attention and appear they would benefit from hollow tining aeration and an application of fertiliser.

My overall comment therefore is that Tracy Park is a work in progress. The current, newly appointed staff showed a very keen determination to provide the highest possible standards and whilst there are a few minor hurdles to negotiate at the moment, I feel confident that the location is in the good hands of those who will make things happen. On that basis, I think some of the previous negative reviews about this location may be unfair. The property is now in different hands and the most recent reviews and those appearing in the coming weeks and months are more likely to be a far more accurate reflection of Tracy Park than the negative ones of the past. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Trace Park and will definitely return.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aceputter

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We booked into this Hotel as a last resort as we were going to Bath for the Christmas market and all rooms booked in bath.
We arrived and was booked in ok and was informed where our room was in the Carriages ,we went pass other converted stables and barns which were numbered but when we reach the Carriages ( a big stone barn conversion ) there was no indication that this was where we were staying .Eventually a staff member informed us to go through a door ( no sign ) where we came across 2nd problem as this was on 2 level's no sign how to get up to next level,saved again by staff who told us was through another unmarked door.
After all this what a room(37) a huge room with a 7ft bed ,settee ,table chairs ,wardrobe ,dressing table and a huge 46" TV and there was still loads of space.
The bed was comfy ,pillows soft ,duvet duck,and sheet crispy white and a good night sleep by
both of us.
The bathroom was another huge room with walk in huge shower lovely hot water 2 radiators to put your towels on, soap shampoo conditioner etc was supplied and room in bathroom for a small party.
We did not eat in hotel we wished we did as the dinning room was a nice room with 2 huge ingle nook fire places either end and a very cosy room to eat .
At night was very quite and dark even with a wedding reception there did not hear anything .
Breakfast was superb with fruit juice and hot drinks ( think in a hotel this quality coffe & tea should be brought to your table ,not to go and get it ,note Hotel) ,there is continental or English provided but have to make your toast on on one of those conveyors belt toasters ,which meant putting toast through twice and taking time ,another note to hotel bring toast to table.
The breakfast was good ,quality good only saw scramble eggs ,no poach or fried but rest adequate .
If you were going to Bath there is a park and ride approx 10-15mins drive away from hotel,turn left end of drive and follow road .
After all this would I recommend this hotel YES if I stayed in the room I stayed ,it is also has a golf course there as well as Spa etc .So men golf & women Spa .

Room Tip: Ideal for Bath without the hassle of trying to find a car park in Bath . The Carriages are good if...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ukpse

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Great stay. Kim was so helpful with my booking the best check in ever , anywhere. Nothing to much trouble.
Our night away was a treat for my wifes birthday , and she thought our room was fabulous.. all in all a great stay with a fantastic breakfast. We will be coming back soon for sure.
Thanks again all at Tracy park..
Mark parker.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank markparks12
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Good Afternoon,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We spent one (Friday) night Tracy Park. We were pleased to find it available for our stopover. The location, park and the drive to it through the surrounding countryside were delightful. We were accommodated in a wonderfully restored carriage shed in a fabulous room - beams to ceiling, a huge bed, comfy chairs and a lovely en-suite bathroom. Only slight downside with the room was a difficulty in controlling temperature - there was underfloor heating and it did feel somewhat uncomfortably hot at times.
We were advised to book for dinner - and as we were awaiting confirmation that a friend could join us we rang the hotel some short time after we had gone out. An answer phone invited me to leave a reservation request and said they would return a call to confirm. I was somewhat disappointed when, having heard nothing for an hour, I telephoned again, but the receptionist on this occasion seemed to have no knowledge of my previous message.
For dinner, we went to the bar in good time to await our guest - I was struck by how quiet it appeared - not many seemed to be going to the restaurant - the barman said there were a number of late arrivals expected. Eventually, we went into the dining room which I have to say is very atmospheric - tall with a large open fire. So far, apart from the minor niggles above, everything was fine.
First problem we experienced - we were told the steaks and the lamb were off - ⅓ of the main menu choices gone. I expressed surprise at this given the restaurant was not busy. Nevertheless, we went for 1 soup and two pigeon breasts for starters and had a small comedy of errors when were told there was only one pigeon breast and having made an alternative choice we had a revisit to say there were in fact two. The pigeon breast was disappointing - overcooked, tepid and devoid of seasoning. For main courses we had the pork belly which our guest appeared happy with (with the rider "You can't go far wrong with pork belly), the duck and the sea bass. For the latter, it was not clear from the menu whether there were potatoes with it and on questioning it was suggested we order a side (mash) - only to find it came on a bed of mash anyway! Plates were cold and the food was tepid. The duck was overcooked and tough. The overall presentation lacked the finery we had anticipated both from the standard in the hotel generally and the descriptions of the restaurant on the Hotel web site.
Breakfast next morning was a buffets which for a hotel of its size seemed somewhat limited. Once again the food was tepid and the "choice of eggs" on the menu seemed limited to an overcooked and dry scrambled egg.
Our dining experience rather blunted the enjoyment of what was otherwise a lovely place to stay. The cooking was certainly not of a standard to be anticipated by the nature of the Hotel itself or the web site comments. If I could be sure that this deficiency was corrected I would have no hesitation in booking here again.
Staff we encountered were excellent. WiFI didn't work, though a staff member acknowledged they had had problems which had been reported.

Room Tip: The Carriage shed we were in was delightful though you do have to way across a yard to reception / b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good Morning,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you have had during your stay with us. We are keen to discuss this matter further with you so please can you email matthew@tracypark.co.uk with your contact information, full name and date of your stay and we will be in touch.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed for just the one night in the courtyard in a well converted building with good finishes. As alight niggle but understandable in an old building, if you're not an early riser don't book a downstairs room [room 14] as the floor boards above creaked. However this is intended to be helpful comment not a complaint. Staff were all helpful and friendly. The food was excellent. Would definitely recommend and the golf packages look extraordinarily good.
If it is not obvious from the location map you definitely need a car as it is a true country location.

Room Tip: AS per the comment above
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank peter l

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Another lovely visit to Tracy Park it never disappoints however both dinner and breakfast were tepid and not nearly hot enough which was a disappointment to an otherwise wonderful stay.
Staff were brilliant even letting us have dinner in the bar as it was not busy, stayed in same room as last time which feels like returning to an old friend, we knew we loved it before so knew we would again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolaskinner

Good Afternoon,

Head of Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
Bailbrook House Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Apsley House Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel? Share your experiences!