“Week end break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wick
London, United Kingdom
“Week end break”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had a fantastic room reasonably priced. However the service in the restaurant was on the Saturday night slow and the portions for the main course on the small side. Unfortunately the hotel was unable to order a newspaper. The food at breakfast on the Sunday was of poor quality..On the positive side the main house has a lot of character and in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to the luxury double room on the top floor of the main carriage house

Thank Michael Bernad... D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A beautiful location and the receptionist was excellent. We arrived very early and didn't expect to get into our room but we needed to check we would be able to get in later as we were off to an event in Bath and didn't expect to be back until early hours of the morning. As it happened our room was ready which was excellent. The room was more than acceptable although could have been cleaner as I had to pick up a big ball of goodness knows what off the bathroom floor.
Unfortunately, our experience at breakfast was shocking! Breakfast was served until 10am on Sunday morning so as we'd had a late night we didn't get there until 9.50am. there was not a single clean table to sit at, nobody greeted us and in the end we sat at a dirty table with 2 clean place settings. I asked if we were ok to sit there and was told yes fine just help yourself. We wasn't directed anywhere or given any other instructions. On arriving at the buffet the food was virtually empty and what was there was overcooked, the scrambled egg looked like rubber and the sausage skins were so hard you struggled to bit through them. Everything was over cooked and tasteless. The toast, if you can called it that, it was more like hot bread. I ordered 2 fried eggs which took ages to arrive and then was asked did I want 2 or not? No one made us feel welcome or asked for any feedback throughout the whole meal. I overheard another table complaining about exactly the same issues we had. They were given fresh pastries and fresh fruit as an apology. No one even made conversation with us. On the table there was a menu of choices, We were never offered any choice just the hot buffet. The whole experience was awful and spoilt our stay. If breakfast is available until 10am then that is what it should mean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Tracy Park for his birthday this weekend and we were looking forward to an amazing and relaxing weekend. However, we were sadly let down and after staying one night in this hotel the only thing we were looking forward to was leaving and going back home!
When we arrived we were given the wrong room, it appeared to be a classic twin, we then had to wait for reception to sort out our correct room which was the superior double. When we were able to access our correct room were happy to see that our room was large, with a nice bathroom (shower was great), two televisions and a walk in closet. However, the cleanliness of the room was shocking. There were flies everywhere! The red sofa in the sitting area was covered in white stains (I shutter to think what those stains are from!), the carpet was very dirty and the walls needed a good cleaning.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant that night and we were appalled at the poor service (for instance leaving us waiting for a bill only for us to have to seek out the waiter and ask for it and then we were told that you have to walk out of the restaurant and into the bar to pay). The food was not great, we wished that we had gone into Bath for a better meal. The free breakfast the next day was horrible, the eggs looked as if they had been microwaved, and everything else looked either undercooked or overcooked and slimy.
The next morning we called the front desk to see if the 11am checkout time could be pushed back and where told that we would have to pay £20 to check out an hour later (despite the fact that we were made to wait to get into our room in the first place). Luckily, my desire to stay later in the hotel changed when I dropped an earring under the bed and when I went to search under the bed I found a mass infestation of bugs! Spiders hanging from the bed and black bugs crawling around on the floor (I certainly hope these were not bed bugs!) and clumps of hair (not mine!) all over the floor. We also had issues with the heating, it was on full during the day (when it was 18 degrees out) and then turned off at night so we were left too hot during the day and too cold at night.

Upon check out, I informed the nice women at the front desk about the bugs and lack of cleanliness in the room and she replied that I should expect bugs when staying at a hotel on a golf course. For £160 per night, I expect a clean hotel room! I have lived on a golf course and my house was NEVER full of bugs so that excuse does not work for me. You can tell that this hotel tries to be nice but falls short. The outside of the hotel is lovely and we enjoyed walking around the grounds of the hotel. However, I am extremely concerned about the lack of cleanliness, it makes me sick to think that we stayed in a room that was full of bugs and not properly clean.

1 Thank avablue
Derbyshire
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent hotel very close to Bath and ideally located for the park and ride. Bedrooms were excellent, the only thing that stopped me giving 5* was an over-priced, small portion evening meal in the restaurant. But the restaurant itself is a very grand room, muchlike the rest of the buildings. Watch out for noisy groups of golfers though in the adjoining dining room.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me & the hubby stayed here for my 40th birthday. We had the luxury 4-poster room (I recommend it!), lovely sized room, well equipped and great en suite with a full sized bath & separate shower. Me and my man are not the smallest of people but the bed was plenty big enough for us to get lost in!
The full English breakfast was lovely (poached eggs were perfectly cooked) and the dining room was very impressive.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. What else can I say.... I can't wait to go back for birthday number 41!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Hoo Saint Werburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Lovely setting, steeped in history. Ideally located between Bath and Bristol. Park and ride nearby for visiting Bath. Very relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, all staff friendly and very professional. Fine dining in the Knights Templars Chapel or relaxed dining in the lounge, plenty of comfy seats. Good selection of wines and beers. Rooms provide all you need for a relaxing break in individual settings. Stayed twice now and will be returning soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are surrounding the main hotel building either in a courtyard setting or luxury carriage r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Kay F
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We booked a luxury double room for 2 nights as special treat . My son having stayed the previous weekend suggested Tracy Park Hotel as the luxury rooms were amazing. We were very disappointed when we arrived to be told we were in Room 20 which is situated in the Courtyard. Whilst these rooms were luxury they (as well as a bedroom it had a lounge) were cold due to air conditioning not being put on before our arrival. The rooms were also quite dark. The bed was also so soft that I knew I would not sleep well. Having gone to reception to see if we could change the room, we were told that they were full in the Carriages and would not be able to change rooms. By this time we were all for going home but after one last try with reception we were told that there was a twin room available in the Carriages. The room was beautiful as expected. The male receptionist had only been in the post for 2 days but he handled the matter very well and we were very happy customers for the rest of our stay. The food in the restaurant and the bar were excellent. We could not fault anything and would definitely stay again (we would certainly make sure we booked into the carriage rooms!!). A big thank you to the receptionist for putting up with disappointed customers.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackie W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Bailbrook House Hotel
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
The Roseate Villa Bath

Been to Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel? Share your experiences!