“Great food and excellent service”

Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wick
Anglesey
“Great food and excellent service”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here twice in the last 3 months, both times on business on my own. The building is stunning and the rooms comfortable and well appointed with good showers and comfortable beds and large flat screen TVs. Because the rooms are in the old stables and out buildings and the whole hotel is 500m from the road it is incredibly quiet which makes for a very restful night. The restaurant is excellent. I ate in the hotel on both evenings and the food was delicious, good quality ingredients, reasonably priced with a short but interesting menu and most of all the service was outstanding. Not stuffy or pretentious just very efficient, friendly and attentive without being excessive. All the staff in the hotel are very friendly in an unforced and genuine way. The American Maître d was especially helpful.

It is a very short drive into Bath and you avoid the bad traffic and best of all the room rates are very reasonable, especially when compared to central Bath hotels, also car parking is plentiful.

I am not a golfer but to my untutored eye the course looked well maintained.

I stay in hotels up to 100 times a year with work all around the UK and Tracy Park is great value with fantastic staff and excellent food. If I ever have to go back to the Bath area again I will make it a third visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Myself and my girlfriend were amazed by the setting of this picturesque hotel when we arrived 16/04/14 , unfortunately our excitement was very short lived. The service that we received from the moment of check in 18.00 to the time that we left the following morning was appalling. We had booked a luxury double four poster bedroom, on arrival the receptionist told us that this was one of the best rooms in the hotel, so obviously our expectations were high. Unfortunately after a while in the room these expectations we were gradually turning into real disappointment , we found that the edges of the shower tray had not been cleaned for along time, the shower head was full of limescale only half the jets were working, the toilet cistern had been removed and not fitted back properly, the toilet was stained, the sink was stained with lime scale, we only had half a toilet roll and no replacement s, there was only three tissues in the box supplied, the overall cleanliness of the bathroom was poor. In the bedroom the lamp was broken and the lampshade was stained with what look like oil. We will say that at least the bed was comfy. Thet breakfast following morning was below par, the fruit bowl did not look fresh the kiwi was rotting and pears bruised, the coffee was cold.These were pointed out to the receptionist when we were checking out but felt that nothing would get done, there was no offer of discount or even any apology. It s a real shame that the management think that the location of the hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paul_elliott68
Somerset, England
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed for one night on Saturday the 12th April and had a lovely stay at Tracy Park Hotel.

Our room in Carriages (room 38) on the 2nd floor was fantastic - overlooking the lovely old main hotel building and practice putting green. Massive bed, lovely white crisp bedding, huge tv, walk in shower, tea & coffee & cookies in the room, loads of space etc - the rooms in Carriages really are worth the extra I would imagine, although we didnt see any other rooms in other parts of the hotel.

Breakfast was good - not exceptional, but still good. On the plus side there is a lot of choice including the usual cooked breakfast bacon & eggs etc, plus fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, toast and cold meats. The only things that could have made the breakfast exceptional would be... somebody taking your cooked breakfast order and bringing it to your table rather than queuing up at a self service buffet. Also the coffee could be improved - I am pretty sure it was instant coffee.

We had a good meal in the evening - pity it was a Groupon 'special' menu with only a choice of 3 mains, starters & desserts, rather than the normal a-la-carte menu which is reserved for 'non-Groupon', full paying guests only I presume.

Now on to the staff - really friendly, down to earth & helpful. For instance we asked for a cocktail, and they were in the process of putting together a new cocktail menu so instead of saying no, the man at the bar offered to let me try one of his proposed new cocktails, and stopped to chat about whether we thought it was good or needed tweaking - a nice touch.
At both dinner and breakfast all the waiting staff were friendly and seemed happy.

Bear in mind that the hotel facilities are geared firmly for those who love golf. So if like us you arent into golf there wont be much else to do - there arent other leisure facilities such as gym, snooker room etc - but we heard a spa may be being built in the future which would be a good idea. Walking around the grounds is nice however.

Now finally on to the one problem we encountered and to why the management gets special praise. There was an issue with a radiator breaking in another room which unfortunately knocked out all the hot water in our room and 3 other rooms on the morning we woke up. Such a shame as we couldnt have a shower as the water was really cold. Not a lot the hotel could do to fix the issue in time before we checked out, however the duty manager, Lesley, was very professional, understanding and apologised and handled the matter to our satisfaction. We are looking forward to our next visit to this great hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I treated my partner and myself to one night at tracy park to celebrate our birthday's. Staff were very friendly food was great and room well worth the money. Only disappointment was it rained the next day so we couldn't play golf but we are going back to do that later in the year.we would definitely recommend tracy park.

• Stayed April 2014
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I took a group of 22 to Tracy Park for a golf weekend and have to say that the entire group enjoyed the weekend from start to finish. The golf courses were great, even better on the Sunday when the greens had been cut. The rooms were excellent, the food was good quality, the service was better than good, particular thanks to those running the spikes bar who stayed open late just for us in the evenings! All in all we will certainly be returning next year, many thanks to all the staff at Tracy Park. Adam

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in April as a Groupon offer with my mother.
We had a luxury twin room in the Carriages. The room was beautiful with good views over the golf course. The hotel grounds are stunning as is the setting for dinner in the main house. The starter and main course were both delicious but the dessert disappointing. Breakfast was good too. All staff were exceptionally friendly. The location was excellent being very close to the park-and-ride. Definitely want to return!

Room Tip: Luxury room in the Carriages. We had room 31 - great view over golf course.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Tracy Park in late March as part of a weekend away to Bath for her Birthday. Our room in the outbuilding was lovely, fantastic large bed and bathroom. The staff were pleasant and we both enjoyed our meals at the Masons restaurant. All was well until checkout when i was told the bill was considerably more than expected, when i queried this i was told that as i booked through lastminute.com no money is taken until checkout, when booking it is only a provisional reservation. I was firmly in belief that the money had already been debited when booking in early February. Reluctantly I accepted this and paid the bill in full. Upon leaving the hotel and finally getting some signal on my phone! I checked my accounts online to confirm my suspicions that i had already paid for the reservation. we immediately returned to reception where i was told that the 'accountant' was not in today so i will have the money refunded first thing tomorrow morning and i would receive confirmation of this as they were unable to do so immediately. Fine I thought! Monday came and went with no contact, until i rang in and was fobbed off. To cut a long story short i was consistently lied to over the course of five days about what was happening with my money and the whereabouts of the so called manager! I sent an email directly to the manager which he/she did not even have the courtesy to reply to! I finally received my money back 5 days after checkout which I think is very poor and it took numerous phone calls from myself to get anywhere. Unfortunately this soured our whole experience of the weekend through their poor communication and management. Safe to say i will not be returning to Tracy Park when we return to the lovely city of Bath.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan T
TP_Management, General Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Ryan,

You are correct that unfortunately you were charged twice and we apologise for that error.
When you checked into the hotel you didn’t have any paperwork with you and although the receptionist had your details, the system didn’t show any information regarding pre-payment through Lastminute.com.
On departure you were informed that normally payment is taken on departure and you accepted this at that time and agreed to pay as you were not 100% sure if you had paid or not.

As soon as we found out you had paid in advance your card payment was refunded. If there was any delay in the funds being placed back into your account it is purely the British banking system we all have to use and not a delay from the hotel responding to the error.
Once again we are very sorry that this happened and if you would like to discuss this matter further please contact the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Bailbrook House Hotel
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
Villa at Henrietta Park

Been to Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel? Share your experiences!