“Fun”

Sandown Greyhounds
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Springvale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Sandown Greyhound Racing Club is Australia's premier greyhound racing facility and home to the world's richest greyhound race, the $600,000 TAB Melbourne Cup. See the world's fastest sport on four legs in the luxury of our world class grandstand, fully renovated and enclosed ensuring the comfort of patrons regardless of the weather. There's a full bar and dining options available, and make sure you meet our resident retired racers to see what beautiful animals greyhounds are. We typically race every Thursday evening and Sunday afternoon and entry to all race meeting is free!
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

If your into sports and greyhounds it's a good night. It isn't fancy and alot of locals go. Dress code last time I went was pretty much trackies and a hoodie.
Depends if there is big certain race on- that can make it a bit more suitable for families and more of a night out.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"track"
"sandown"

Reviewed 27 April 2013

All stereotypes become reality. Not family fun unless you want your kids to learn about smoking, gambling, and most swear words you work so hard to protect them from. And watch put for the pickpockets, luckily I caught one, but a friend was not so lucky.

1  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Have visited plenty of greyhound tracks and this would have to be one my favourites. Sale is another. Great food, kid friendly and a fun night out!

Reviewed 27 April 2009

Being a thoroughbred fan I'd never been to the greyhounds before until a mate of mine shouted me to the dogs for their Melbourne Cup.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised! The meal is a buffet and the food was very good. Apparently the buffet runs every race night, and we were on the tiers overlooking the winning post, giving us a good view of the entire track. There was a big crowd there as you'd expect for the cup, but my mate tells me the tiers are full most race nights.

I'd reckon the feature nights are the way to go if you want to really enjoy the racing and there's lots of other enterainment on too, but the dining room runs every race ngiht and is a good feed.

I'll certainly be back in the future!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 November 2008

Having never been to greyhound racing, I viewed my free pass as the opportunity to see how those interested in this sport spent a night.

It was relatively chilly outside the course, and only about 500 spectators were there. Most stay at home and bet on the telephone or via the Internet.

Not being a sports fan, I found watching the less than a minute long greyhound races boring.

It was one of the least interesting nights I have ever spent at any activity.

However, access by public transport is easy because Connex's Cranbourne and Pakenham line trains stop opposite at Sandown Park railway station.

3  Thank Victorianlad