“Different from the last few pubs!”
Review of The Boot Inn

The Boot Inn
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Studley
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Boot Inn offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Recently, we've been to a few pubs which are places for eating rather than places to eat. You know what I mean. Chains! Not at all bad and pretty well you know what you're getting and, probably more importantly, not at all expensive. However, you know also that it's "boil in the bag" or whatever you want to call the Brake Brothers (or equivalent) supplied out of a van. So it made a nice change to eat in an establishment that was not full of "drinkers" or children. But let's get one thing straight, it's twice the price of a "Chain".
Was the food good? Yes it was and despite the fact that it was quite an extensive menu, and therefore almost certainly food that was at least pre-prepared somewhere, pretty good quality. We had starters that were really pub snacks but the garlic bread was pretty good indeed. It didn't have as much garlic as I personally like but it was smothered in butter and delicious.
I had the steak pie and changed the cabbage mash for chips which again was very well cooked. But again i'm a thick rather than light pastry man. The salad my wife had was fresh, plenty of variety and came with plenty of dressing ON THE SIDE - ie not drowned.
The pudding I tried was a salted caramel and chocolate confection which again I didn't really like.

So you see why I rated the restaurant but didn't really have a meal to my taste. It was good - make no mistake about that - it just didn't quite suit me or my preferences and whether I'm quirky(I'm not sure that I am) it didn't really hit the mark. The staff were excellent - they'd clearly been trained to sell up but were not at all pushy. Indeed, for a group so young, they seemed very professional and yet were very friendly. They found us space when there wasn't really any and were very attentive without crowding.

So would I go back? Probably! I was a bit unlucky with my choices but what I got was well prepared and may very well suit you -it just wasn't to my taste. So by all means give it a go - definitely try the garlic bread but don't necessarily accept what's on the menu unquestionably. They'll be more than happy to change things around (if they can) as they did for us. And not being at all snobby, it's a different experience to the local chain.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Popped in for a quick working lunch. The building was dark and cold, the staff friendly but unprofessional. The food poor, nothing like some of the good gastro pubs, I wouldn't recommend.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to the boot in the last three months for a family meal. The place can get a little busy (which is merely a sign of how good the food is) so the service can at times be a little slow but the food is worth the wait. I highly recommend the belly pork with scallops, black pudding and apple, it's a great combination.

1  Thank BirminghamFoodie79
Reviewed 3 June 2014

14 of us went for lunch. We had pre-ordered, ideal for a larger group with time constraints. No-one had anything to complain about, all meals looked great. No complaints about the service either.
I personally had the salmon on courgette ribbons which was fresh and tasty.
A colleague ordered the cheesy onion bread for starters but with such a large portion of four slices, I tried a piece and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Ate here early evening on a Sunday. The decor and ambience is that of a fairly 'posh' country pub. They had been very busy during the day and in fact were still busy although finding us a table as we hadnt pre-booked wasn't a problem. Unfortunately as they'd been so busy at lunch time there was only one roast option left, however this didn't bother us greatly and the food we ordered was hot, delicious, beautifully presented and plenty of it. The waiting staff were very pleasant and efficient. I would say that this establishment is a cut above your bog standard pub lunch. Although the bill was higher than we'd have normally paid it felt like a real treat. I'd advise a look through the online menu that you can see on their website to give you an idea of cost. We shall definitely go back.

1  Thank OliverFan