“"The chef said......."”
Review of The Boot Inn

The Boot Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Boot Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Studley
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sensitively restored and brimming with countryside charm, The Boot Inn offers British pub hospitality. Mixing classic recipes and modern dishes, the menu is dictated by the seasons, with daily-changing specials also on offer. The bar is amply stocked with fine wines and smooth cask ales, and chunky wood furnishings and quirky décor make for a homely, relaxed ambience in the dining room. A menu just for kids offers fun yet nutritious choice for younger diners.
birmingham
“"The chef said......."”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

-My steak was over cooked.
-I informed the waiter.
-Waiter takes it away.
-Waiter returns to say, "the chef says it was medium, do you want it cooked more?"
-i said it was over cooked. The steak was medium/well, I ordered medium..

I wouldn't normally be bothered by a cooking degree here or there, but the steak was over £20! ...Let me put this into perspective for the insolent chef who wouldn't accept that it was over done...you have to work for three hours to buy that piece of 28day aged meat. I'm not accepting it!
-The steak that replaced it was, predictably, undercooked. It was rare. Don't let YOUR ego decide how to cook a steak. That should have been MY choice @£20! However, it was tasty and tender, (once I let it rest a little,) and the bernaise sauce was nice too.

There were 10 others eating at my table. They gave good feedback on the whole. However, it was all a bit lazy. The service was lazy, we had to ask twice if our table was ready, WE had to ask to place a drinks order. Specials and eliminations from the menu were announced when only half the table were sat. The chefs are lazy, No finger bowl was offered up with the "sticky sharer". The asparagus had not been trimmed and retained their "woody" ends. The butter for bread was unsalted and NOT real butter. The food was ALL under seasoned. The roast beef was tough and carved too thick. The beef was also served pink (which for me is not a problem) but we were not informed on ordering so two guests left the meat as a consequence. There was no check back by waiting staff, sertainly not regarding my steak anyway.
All this adds up to an indictment of what's happened to pub food in this country. Too many establishments have forgotten the meaning of "hospitality". I didn't feel looked after. I experienced little more hospitality than I get at the golden arches, yet I paid a lot more for the displeasure.

I would rather a Big Mac than eat here again, I feel robbed of an afternoon. Can't even get a steak cooked medium in two goes. And don't let your ego's tell you any different, I've cooked more steaks than you've served hot dinners!

...I hate it when a waiter begins a sentence with, "the chef said......".

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Different from the last few pubs!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Recently, we've been to a few pubs which are places for eating rather than places to eat. You know what I mean. Chains! Not at all bad and pretty well you know what you're getting and, probably more importantly, not at all expensive. However, you know also that it's "boil in the bag" or whatever you want to call the Brake Brothers (or equivalent) supplied out of a van. So it made a nice change to eat in an establishment that was not full of "drinkers" or children. But let's get one thing straight, it's twice the price of a "Chain".
Was the food good? Yes it was and despite the fact that it was quite an extensive menu, and therefore almost certainly food that was at least pre-prepared somewhere, pretty good quality. We had starters that were really pub snacks but the garlic bread was pretty good indeed. It didn't have as much garlic as I personally like but it was smothered in butter and delicious.
I had the steak pie and changed the cabbage mash for chips which again was very well cooked. But again i'm a thick rather than light pastry man. The salad my wife had was fresh, plenty of variety and came with plenty of dressing ON THE SIDE - ie not drowned.
The pudding I tried was a salted caramel and chocolate confection which again I didn't really like.

So you see why I rated the restaurant but didn't really have a meal to my taste. It was good - make no mistake about that - it just didn't quite suit me or my preferences and whether I'm quirky(I'm not sure that I am) it didn't really hit the mark. The staff were excellent - they'd clearly been trained to sell up but were not at all pushy. Indeed, for a group so young, they seemed very professional and yet were very friendly. They found us space when there wasn't really any and were very attentive without crowding.

So would I go back? Probably! I was a bit unlucky with my choices but what I got was well prepared and may very well suit you -it just wasn't to my taste. So by all means give it a go - definitely try the garlic bread but don't necessarily accept what's on the menu unquestionably. They'll be more than happy to change things around (if they can) as they did for us. And not being at all snobby, it's a different experience to the local chain.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Quick lunch”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Popped in for a quick working lunch. The building was dark and cold, the staff friendly but unprofessional. The food poor, nothing like some of the good gastro pubs, I wouldn't recommend.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice gastropub, busy but great food”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to the boot in the last three months for a family meal. The place can get a little busy (which is merely a sign of how good the food is) so the service can at times be a little slow but the food is worth the wait. I highly recommend the belly pork with scallops, black pudding and apple, it's a great combination.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank BirminghamFoodie79
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Great lunch spot”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

14 of us went for lunch. We had pre-ordered, ideal for a larger group with time constraints. No-one had anything to complain about, all meals looked great. No complaints about the service either.
I personally had the salmon on courgette ribbons which was fresh and tasty.
A colleague ordered the cheesy onion bread for starters but with such a large portion of four slices, I tried a piece and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Visited May 2014