“Very disappointed in everything but staff”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Booked a Travelzoo deal including D, B & B and glad we didn't spend more! Shown to a tiny double room with one chair and tv on same wall as bed so not viewable. Paper peeling off walls in corner of room and in sheets in corridor. Asked to be moved and shown to room in original castle, big room with lovely ensuite and no peeling wallpaper. Public rooms grand. Very restricted menu for dinner, choice of 3 for each course - we're told this was a new menu. We both had pate with onion chutney - nothing to write home about. I had salmon - moist with tomatoes, spinach and potatoes which was all bland. Mike had roast of day - ham with very disappointing veg ('roast' potatoes, more like boiled and browned) sprouts and carrots. Chose cheeseboard as most likely to be tasty dessert- how wrong. Cheese should be room temperature but it was too cold. The staff were very attentive and apologetic, no complaints as to service. A shambles otherwise. Not up to DeVere standards as we have otherwise experienced and we won't be returning! Such a shame as the area is stunning and the building could be exceptional if up to standard.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PinkElly
Steven S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear PinkElly ,

Thank you very much for your comments and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. However, please be assured we will be taking appropriate actions to ensure that all of our clients and guests receive the level of service that they would expect whether it be for leisure of business.

There are newer reviews for Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Had a great night stay mini Christmas get together.The building is very impressive and would be good for romance and weddings.The young staff group were excellent,nothing was too much trouble.Special thanks to Mike Emma,Connor and Kim for breakfast service.Standard rooms are compact but clean and lots of storage.Will go again in summer to make use of the grounds and terraces.Evening meal was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lindaroseh

Dear Lindaroseh,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and joined some friends for a Travel Zoo overnight stay. This hotel was until recently operated by Best Western, but is now part of the De Vere stable. Prior reports refer to the somewhat tired nature of the Hotel, something that I do agree with when it comes to the bedrooms. The public areas are ok, and the Restaurant is an amazing space with a high vaulted ceiling. The upsides are the Staff who are great, and the food. Both dinner and breakfast were superb. The hotel has clearly learnt the lessons referred to by others regarding the breakfast. We had no complaints. The two areas that need attention are 1) the public rooms are both cold and have low light levels. We could not even read a newspaper, and at one stage, in the bar, we had to put thicker coats on. 2) the bedrooms need refurbishment, better beds and pillows are a must, that and a good lick of paint. The room we were in was small with a single small desk chair.

Having said all this the hotel was good, indeed at the Travel Zoo price, it was great. If De Vere wish to move the Hotel to 4 or indeed 5 star they will need to spend some serious money on the bedrooms, and improve the heating, but the potential is there. Yes there are some builders around but they didn't impact on us at all

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin F
Steven S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Robin F,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor .Your feedback is much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel itself was amazing driving up to a castle was a beautiful scene to be welcomed with. The room itself was small and basic but for the price it was well worth it ....UNTILL 8:15AM we were right outside where the builders were working which totally ruined the experience. The hotel itself should of firstly told the guests that some maintenance was occurring before booking but at least make sure they didn't start work before 9am when they were suppose too. When I finally got so angry I called down to reception they said they would go have a word with the builders. The banging sawing and drilling however, did not cease and we hastily had to leave the room with a headache and in our hast we left some clothes in the wardrobe. Not the relaxing country experience I was looking for, we deliberately picked this hotel outside of Stratford to avoid the noise of the town life, we had more relaxation in the falcon hotel, Stratford centre the next night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TER5

Dear TER5

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured we are taking appropriate action to ensure that all of our guest’s expectations are met and that all of our visitors receive the level of service that they would expect whether it is for business or leisure.

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 December 2013

The hotel is undergoing change from being a Best Western to a DeVere hotel. DeVere have only had the place since 30 July 2013.
We stayed on a cheap Travelzoo deal so it is difficult to be too critical.
The building could be fantastic but needs some serious money being spent. Some of the public rooms are huge and seem to be a bit of a problem to heat .All the staff we met were very helpful and enthusiastic about the developments and the General Manager was very positive about the changes that will be made. Will be happy to return in 6/9 months to see how it has developed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bact1940 ,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor.It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I recently booked three rooms at Studley for myself and my sisters to celebrate my birthday. Did this having read the very varied reviews on this website so ensured I did pay for an upgrade to a room in the Castle. That said this was still a great, value for money, break. The rooms were delightful, the staff were efficient and friendly, the meals were very good and we all had a great time. We arrived early but the staff went out of their way to get us into our rooms. I asked for tea lights on the dinner table (it was my birthday!) and got both tea lights and a complementary glass of bubbly. What more could you want.

Is the hotel perfect? No, it's a work in progress but most common parts are just lovely and the quirkiness just added to the experience. Was the food perfect? No, they had run out of apple pie so I had to have chocolate cake for dessert- what a hardship! Would I go again? Most certainly. This is not yet five star perfection but at the current prices this is a steal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Kate S,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Overall, a pretty good experience. The hotel is clearly being renovated which is reflected in the current price.

Our room was functional and clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean - although when it came to having a shower the water pressure was extremely low and the temperature was either too cold or scalding. Hopefully a new plumbing system will be installed.

A couple of other things I'd suggest to make it better - our room was on the same side as the kitchen and some members of staff spent their breaks on the stairs outside, talking very loudly to one another and waking us up in the middle of the night and then again at about 6am. I would expect the hotel staff to have more consideration than this for guests who were trying to sleep.
There was a terrible low vibration noise until about 2am and then it stopped - I think it was coming from the extractor fan in the bathroom although it might equally have been coming from outside. Whatever the cause, it was really loud and kept me awake.

Overall though, the staff were/are amazingly hard working, helpful and polite. They were understaffed at breakfast - someone had phoned in sick - and as it was a particularly busy morning (the hotel was fairly full) they all had to work really hard, ensuring all the guests had everything they needed - so congratulations to the staff for this. It is much appreciated! Breakfast was delicious!

If I stayed here again I'd ask for a room facing away from the car-park and the kitchens as the views are better on this side and there would (hopefully) be less noise coming in from outside (there is no double glazing as it's an old building.) ... but I will wait until the building work is finished before returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side of the building from the car park and the kitchens.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sunnyshine29 ,

Steven

Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Abbey Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#3 of 7 in Redditch

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!