“Don't advise visiting until De Vere's have done it up. Great Potential!”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Don't advise visiting until De Vere's have done it up. Great Potential!”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My Husband and I stayed through a Travel Zoo deal for two nights. We stayed in the old part of the castle in Room 1. The room was big, clean and tidy. We slept well although the matress springs dug into you. Yes there was a slight bit of mould around the bathroom tiles and the room was dated, and the windows needed a good clean from the outside. My husband didn't seem to mind the fact that the room was tired and old looking, but he did agree with me that the matress needs changing promptly. Also for a kingsize bed the pillows were not nearly big enough. In addition there was no hand soap next to the sink. However soap was provided on the hand towels which we used to wash our hands with. The walls are paper thin and you can hear other guests moving around, particularly above you. However the building is old and this is something I'm not to bothered about.

I am really sad to say that the food in restuarant for both dinner and breakfast was terrible. All meals were overcooked and chewy. There was not enough fresh fruit and there was no gluten free bread for me as I am gluten intolerant. I must admit that I did not ask for this in advance, but it would not hurt the restuarant to keep some gluten free bread and rolls on hand, as there are plenty of people like me with intolerances. Also the night we dined in the restaurant it was only us in there and dinner took 2 hours! There was at least a 20 minute weight between courses. The bar man also served us our dessert which was stange. The waitress was around and I don't know why she didn't serve us our dessert.

We went down to the bar on both afternoons of our stay and the bar man was lovely but slow off the mark. He kept disappearing for long periods of times. On the second afternoon we went for a drink he was having his dinner in the bar with his wife in tow, when he saw us he ran out, collecting his dinner as he went. He didn't say a word to us. My husband and I assumed he would be back, but after a 30 minute wait he still hadn't appeared. My husband went to enquire at Reception and the bar man casually strolled back in 10 minutes after that to get our drinks and then leave again.

Some people have nicknames Studley Castle the new Faulty Towers and sadly we have to agree. For me I would De Vere's to get those blasted matresses sorted asap. I know they're expensive but come on, if you're staying away you want a decent matress. Also quicker off the mark with the service as that was an absolute shambles - kitchen, bar and restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lizzieparsons
Steven S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear lizzieparsons

I would like to assure you that we take all feedback received at the castle very seriously indeed. Please be assured that we are fully committed to delivering an outstanding guest experience here at Studley Castle. I am disappointed that we did not meet expectations. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore some faith back in our team and our property sometime in the future

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed for one night on Sunday 15th December 2013. We booked the deal through Travelzoo and dinner and breakfast was also included in the price we paid. On arriving at the hotel we were very impressed, the grounds are nice and the castle itself quite impressive. The hotel was decorated nicely for Christmas and the open fires were lovely. The room itself was quite small but ok, clean and fit for purpose. The visit went downhill from this point.

We were booked in for dinner at 7pm, this was the only time available when we checked in at 4pm. We promptly went to the restaurant at 7pm to be advised that they were running late due to a large party they had had in that afternoon (we saw this party and it looked around 12 people). We didn’t mind and went to the bar and had a drink. The bar itself is very small and there was not enough seats or tables for all of our fellow guests in the same situation. The drinks range was poor and the bar lady looked like it was her first shift(didn’t know how to pour drinks). At 8pm we still had not heard anything so my partner went to the restaurant to query if we had been forgotten. The member of staff looked shocked that we had been waiting for an hour, offered us a free bottle of wine and informed us it wouldn’t be much longer. We chased again at 8.30pm and they were still not ready. We finally sat down at a table at 9pm, two hours late. We were glad to finally be sat down but not for long. The free bottle of wine was provided but no glasses. We asked twice for glasses but did not get them. In the end my partner went out of the restaurant into the bar to get two glasses himself. The waiter did see this and apologised and gave us proper wine glasses as my partner had only managed to get champagne flutes.

The menu was very limited and not to my taste but my partner liked the choices available. The food itself when it came was an absolute disgrace; the food was unattractive and had no flavour. I had the turkey roast and it was barely warm, didn’t look fresh and had some very strange mash and no potatoes, Yorkshire or stuffing. My partner’s food was marginally better than mine but still far below the standard we expected. Luckily we had some snacks in our car which came in useful after our dissatisfying dinner. Breakfast was better but how wrong can you really go on frying a few eggs and sausages. If you do stay at his hotel then I would advise that you avoid eating there at all costs. This hotel has huge potential but without a decent head chef, staff training and a lick of paint/new carpets etc they will struggle. Also there was Wifi but we were unable to connect to it while we were there.

The staff were friendly enough but seemed to lack basic hospitality knowledge and skills. The grounds of the hotel were nice enough but the information in your room advises there is a free map of the grounds for those who want to explore, my partner and I asked for this but were told it had not been printed yet.

I would not be surprised if this hotel has been closed down by this time next year unless they make some serious changes.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jane73586
Dear Jane73586,

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured we are taking appropriate action to ensure that all of our guest’s expectations are met and that all of our visitors receive the level of service that they would expect whether it is for business or leisure.

Steven

Travellers are raving about these Studley hotels

Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed 14/12 room only £63. This was supposed to be a delux room. I thought there had been a mistake given the very poor standard of the room. I checked at reception and was shocked to find out it was in fact a superior room! What a joke! Small, grim and not even in the castle but in an adjoining building. I asked reception if I could pay to upgrade but they said they only had one level above this and that was fully booked. I would have been more than happy to leave but both my partner & I had both had a drink in the bar before checking in so was unable to drive. We were stuck! I could go on and on about how awful our room was but I think I will let the photos do the talking!

• Stayed December 2013
6 Thank MissCUK
Dear MissCUK

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Studley Castle is set in beautiful quiet grounds with lovely views over open countryside. On entering the hotel one can see the potential the building has, however, a considerable investment is required to bring this hotel up to standard. I understand that De Vere's acquired the hotel in July 2013 and have started by improving the conference facilities. Currently the public areas are cold, while the bedrooms can get extremely hot as one of our group had a faulty radiator.

We had booked three rooms at the hotel through the Travelzoo offer, and at £79 per room for dinner, bed & breakfast thought this excellent value. Both the evening meal and breakfast were of a good standard. Even though the hotel has much to improve on in terms of the building we could not fault the staff. I know it's their job to look after guests and deal with their queries and complaints, however I could not help think that many of the complaints stem from the lack of investment in the building.

2 Thank DavidVB2013
Dear DavidVB2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Having Stayed at Studley Castle Recently, I was delighted to be attending a Christmas Party with my work colleagues that the hotel was holding, from the moment i walked through the door I was made to feel so welcome like a home from home atmosphere with the added Christmas feel. Check in was very informative of the surrounding area along with all the facilities the hotel its-self has to offer for a relaxing stay. When i arrived at my room i was delighted to see the standard of the room to be very good indeed and very clean. All staff members were very friendly and could not do enough to help. When i arrived down to the function room it was very busy but this added to the great atmosphere and I had a Fantastic Evening Well done Studley Castle keep up the good work and I will definately be back for another visit in the not too distant future.

1 Thank graeme K
Dear graeme K

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was at a party at this amazing hotel last weekend. We have been going away as a group for over 10 years and I have to say this is by far the best venue yet!!

From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP's and the food and entertainment was out of this world.

I sometimes wonder about people having read some of the other comments. Were they actually staying at the same hotel as me????? You really need to take some of these comments with a pinch of salt. Don't believe everything you read and be open minded.

We always change our location but we are considering booking this venue again for next year.

Room Tip: One at the front of the castle
2 Thank Siobhan R
Dear Siobhan R

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My friends and I get together every year for a Christmas party and this year we chose Studley castle largely by default. Very poorly organized 'party' I must say. Dinner not served until 10pm, pre ordered drinks not arriving for over an hour, chaotic bar service, tiny dance floor, the list goes on..
We had a bottle of champagne pinched from under our table by the staff which we got back eventually. Bottles of Corona served with no lime. The hotel had no lime or lemons apparently ffs.. Needless to say we will not be going to this venue for a party again.

3 Thank Fat W
Steven S, Reservations & Revenue at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback from your Christmas Party Night held at De Vere Venues Studley Castle.

On behalf of myself and all of them team, we sincerely apologise that we did not meet your expectations at this time.

Feedback here is very valuable as this helps us to monitor which areas need further work for both the benefit of our Guests' experience and the business.

Please be assured that further staff training will be put in place to ensure further occurrences are avoided.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
#5 of 8 in Redditch
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#7 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!