“One Night For Business” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Durham, United Kingdom
“One Night For Business”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed at Studley Castle expecting the worst after reading the reviews, however was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was extremely welcoming, both in terms of atmosphere and customer service.

Room was cleaned to a good standard and the decor was as you would expect for a hotel of this standard and price.

Bar area was extremely relaxing with roaring log fire and a good selection of beverages.

Evening meal was okay - a limited menu which did seem a little over priced at £16 for a main meal. However Studley is only a few minutes away by car, so it's easy to go out and find better choice.

The bed was a good size, however the springs did poke through, but nowhere near enough to prevent a solid nights sleep.

Overall an okay hotel which was reasonably priced with breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steven S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear PRG86

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Best wishes,
Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Brighton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

It would appear my first review was a bit too strong and tripadvisor asked me to amend it, so I'll keep this one simple, Cold Communal Areas (Bar & Restaurant) dreadful service in the restaurant. Advertised facilities were not available (Mountain Bikes). Room had a problem with mould and 3 of the four radiators did not work. What a shame because the Castle could be a wonderful place to stay. But for the moment stay away and take heed of the other December 2013 reviews on this site. Like I have stated gutted to have to write a poor review because it could be really good at Studley Castle.

Room Tip: Turret Room views good but a bit chilly
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheRQMS
Dear theRQMS

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to leave your constructive comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that we take all feedback received at the castle very seriously indeed. We are fully committed to delivering an outstanding guest experience here at Studley Castle. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore some faith back in our team and our property sometime in the future.

Kind regards
Steven

Travellers are raving about these Studley hotels

Redditch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Castle was quiet as it was soon after New Year but the staff were very attentive and the food served was of good quality,all freshly prepared and tasty. Of particular note was the Duty Manager Matt who was professional and helpful.

The bar is warm and welcoming and all the public areas were clean and well presented.

Room Tip: I did not use a bedroom or conference facilities but believe there is an ongoing investment/refurbis...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear HilsRedditch,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and food.

Best wishes
Halesowen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

As someone who works in customer service I felt it was my duty to write about a fantastic experience myself and my girlfriend had in this beautiful hotel!
We arrived early evening and booked in to our room. We were in room 1 which is beautiful! Very spacious and warm! The bathroom had a sunken bath and was spotlessly clean! The only slight issue is the cold tap is hot unless you run it for about 20 seconds...but that is me being extremely picky!!
So onto our evening meal! The food was cooked to an exemplary standard! We are both accustomed to fine dining and could not fault any of the courses. The real icing on the cake came as the orders were taken for dessert! As I didn't fancy any of them I asked if I could have a cheeseboard and the chef duly obliged and it was delicious!
We had a couple of drinks in the bar then headed to bed and had an excellent nights sleep. The breakfast that followed on from our slumber was outstanding and on a par with any I've had in any other hotel at the very least! Checkout was smooth and they almost forgot to charge us for our bottle of wine with dinner but we reminded them and paid. I would like to say a huge thank you to all the staff who made our stay so comfortable!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shroom888
Dear Shroom888

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor.It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Best wishes,
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

WOW studley castle ..... what can we say?? saw this place pop up often as me and my partner always like to randomly decide to go away for weekends just to get away t get some peace and this hotel kept poping up with great deals, eventually we booked to go here and our first impression driving up the driveway to see a miniature warwick castle like uilding and we went WOW inside it carried on and the staff were welcoming as soon as we entered. the room was basic room rate but was impressed with room. we went into the garden and it was idyllic and felt at home immediately. Great variety of breakfasts and because of all this its our favourite retreat and we have been several time's

Room Tip: Room 10 in the old building
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John G
Dear John

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that the team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Very best wishes
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Stayed just after christmas as a quick getaway. When first arrived the view as you come up the drive was amazing, and I was impressed upon first sight. Once checked in by a fabulous young lady, Jennifer, who could do nothing but to help us in anyway she could. However once we got in the room things started to change, the room was tiny, and looked onto rubbish bins and the staff smoking area! Things didn't get better in the restaurant, with two young staff struggling to serve 30 or so people with absolutely no management, which meant we didn't know who to complain to about the long wait and cold food! The young man who served us in the bar the next night was impressive and helpful, as well as a manager, i think his name was james though I'm not sure. Overall a slightly disappointing stay, with the staff needing clear management, and the managers that there are having the correct support!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jessicas198324
Dear jessicas198324

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor .Your feedback is much appreciated.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Tenbury Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed here for my special birthday treat with a large extended joint family party- what a location!
All the rooms we booked were extremely comfortable warm and of an expected level of cleanliness for De Vere and some really outstanding.
The communal areas were a little chilly but I would expect that of a castle.
Just need a few extra layers of clothing at this time of the year.
Food outstanding and the staff went out of their way to make our stay special.
With such a large party service was a little erattic at times but staff attitude to please more than made up for this. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for grounds view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HAC2014
Steven S, Reservations & Revenue at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your lovely feed back from your recent stay!

Your feedback has been very valuable to our team, as this has gave the staff both a moral boost and recognition for their hard work.

If ever you are back over this way, please feel free to pop in for a coffee in our library bar as It would be lovely to welcome you back to De Vere Venues Studley Castle

Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,947 reviews
Premier Inn Redditch North (A441) Hotel

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!