“Mixed attitude from staff members”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Mixed attitude from staff members”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Initially,i was concerned that my visit was going to be a stressful one,due mainly to my experience whilst booking my stay,the abrupt manner of the woman i spoke to raised doubts,but,as i had to be in that immediate area,i forged onward.I was annoyed that she didn't seem in the least interested in my business,indeed i felt like i was keeping her from something,i had to repeat my name several times and ring back to confirm my booking.Under normal circumstances,i would re-direct my plans as i spend half of my year staying in various hotels but it was short notice. However when i arrived,i was pleasantly surprised,a very pleasant setting[albeit a rough ride up the drive],pleasant and helpful reception staff,the room was fair and i enjoyed the meals i consumed while i was there. Luckily i went past the first hurdle of the telephone booking and gave it a chance and will possibly use Studley Castle again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would wonderful.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice castle accommdation and grounds, value for money, cooked b'fast very reasonable price, parking on site is free. The grounds are excellent for the children to play in, lovely decor of the dinning and lounge room and bar, would stay again, need a few nights at a place like this!! Very grand indeed. Close to birmingham and stratford on avon, which is the birthplace of Shakepeare. Need a car to get to the castle. Awesome breakfast, we had a great big room in the old tower section, it was great!!, staff awesome as well!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank starstar13
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
We are so happy to know that the amazing team at Devere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.
Birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've just stayed here last night and I would never stay here again. On arrival the hotel looks beautiful from the outside, and the reception area and receptionists were very pleasant and efficient. After that everything went down hill....
In the rooms we were allocated, the beds went up at the foot end, wallpaper was peeling off the walls, damp on the ceiling, bathroom smelt very stale, dirty bed sheets with stains on them, cobwebs on the ceiling, my friend has woke this morning and been bitten. one of our windows had been painted open, and the other was painted shut.

I must say the staff were lovely, very helpful and courteous. We went down to reception to complain about the rooms and they did move us to alternative rooms, they were slightly better than the original so we took them. Still had paper coming away from the walls, but we had to make the best of a bad situation.

Room Tip: Avoid room 216
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Hevs75
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Travellers are raving about these Studley hotels

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Great sharing plate, lovely beef and delicious puddings! I attended a dinner at the Castle last night with 50 or so other people. The whole event went without fault.
The starter was made up of large sharing boards, 1 meat the other fish. Everyone on our table tucked in with great enthusiasm. There was more than enough of everything for everyone - which is pretty unusual at these sort of events and the quality was first class.
Main course was a good sized steak cooked well which is not easy for so many people.
Pudding was another large sharing board with lots of tasty treats and fresh fruit.
All in all a very good dinner.
The hotel rooms aren't the most modern in UK but the beds are clean and comfy and the shower hot and powerful. You'll NEVER get disturbed by road noise here so what more can you want? Oh breakfast, just had mine... plentiful, hot buffet. I'll be coming here again!

• Stayed April 2014
We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed here on the night of Sunday 30th March on a Devere offer. I am late posting this review after giving Devere 2 weeks to answer my letter and email of complaint, which they haven't had the courtesy to do.

On arrival you certainly aren't met with the view that is shown on the website. To the right hand side of the main building is an old building housing the bedrooms and demountable buildings, which looked like a closed down outward bound centre. On arrival we sat in the car for 15 minutes deciding if we could bear to stay here.

The room we were allocated was small and desperately in need of refurbishment.

The only saving grace was the evening meal was excellent, even though you only had a choice of 4 items on the menu. This was probably due to hardly anyone staying there.

My advice is don't stay here!!

Room Tip: Don't accept a room in the annex!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Sue M
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Chose the De Vere Venues Studley Castle for a quiet break and because it was only a few miles from my home town. Set in a large open space at the end of a long drive(which, unfortunately is full of potholes). An impressive building and the lobby is quite impressive too. The staff were really friendly and welcoming. Our room was a delux double and had a kingsize bed, a huge bathroom with a bath and over bath shower, and a lovely view over the fields. The evening meal was nice. Not an extensive menu but something for everyone, £28 for 3 course. Service was just right, not rushed and not to long between courses. The breakfast was very good, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast and the full English. A very pleasant stay, would go there again.

Room Tip: Was told by receptionist that the rooms in the original part. Of the building are the better ones bu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reg C
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I'm a regular patron of Studley Castle ( written a review here before ) and was amongst the group who were indeed inconvenienced by the issues with the fire alarms and electrics last Saturday night ( 5/04/14 ) - instead of writing a damming review, chastising the Staff who were faced with unforeseen challenges on that night - I've since contacted the hotel to find out what actually occurred.
WOW - I actually witnessed an incredibly resourceful team the next morning who clearly pulled together in extremely challenging circumstances.
WOW - The hotel later told me ( days later ) that it actually took 3 Engineers nearly 4 hours to resolve all the power outages and fire alarm faults - not something that you'd expect a Receptionist to resolve on her own when the safety of a full hotel was a prime concern.
WOW - she must have done remarkably well to ensure the safety of Guests from over 50 rooms was not compromised - there was even an elderly couple that I met, celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary who were actually assigned other people to help them - they were happy !
WOW - All I can say is well done to who I now know to be Aimi the Duty Manager and Geoff their Maintenance Man who I'd never met till that morning - but with a little support and understanding of their situation it actually turned out that the fire alarms were deliberately set off - that can't be the fault of the Staff can it ?
WOW - Well done Studley Castle, Aimi, Geoff and all the Staff - you did yourself proud, which if you read between the harsher lines of the last review, you will actually see how well you all did !
I'll be back ! -
WOW - The Castle has amazing character and amazing Staff - Do Not Avoid !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,986 reviews

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!