Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We had a terrible experience at this hotel.

Let's start with the room. Damp patches on the ceilings, rotting, stinking window frames, peeling wallpaper and threadbare carpets.

I had specifically requested a turret room in the old castle, well in advance, and this was completely ignored. When I queried it, "they were busy". Hmm. People we spoke to over dinner were given their choice of turret room when they arrived at the same time as us. (And they weren't busy, there were four couples in the restaurant that night.)

We had also notified them in advance (twice) of the fact my partner and I are both Coeliac and require gluten free food. This came as a surprise to them on check-in and had them scrambling about to make sure they could 'accommodate us'.

Dinner. Again, gluten free food came as a surprise to them and had the one (ONE!) member of staff in the whole restaurant looking very confused. In fact minutes later he offered us some nice bread rolls. What?!

We then asked what, on the less than extensive menu, we could eat. More scrambling lead to a photocopy of the menu being produced for us, with various dishes scribbled out in felt pen. Classy.

So, the soup was safe, we were told. Good. Until it came out full of croutons! This was hastily changed.

The main courses came, complete with inedibly tough pork and instant mashed potato and some sort of brown sauce.

When I tried to explain to the one waiter that it wasn't great, his response was a knowing 'You had the pork, didn't you? Yes....'

I asked that the two glasses of wine we ordered were removed from the bill as a gesture of good will.

Breakfast? "I'm sorry madam we don't do anything gluten free". What?! That'll be yogurt for us then.

Checking out? We were surprised to find that not only were the previous night's drinks not removed from the bill, but by stark contrast we had apparently ordered drinks to the value of £45! Amazing!

A beautiful castle on the outside, spoiled at every turn and in every hallway by threadbare carpets and tired paintwork, by peeling wallpaper and cracked ceilings.

But, there is a beautiful glass dome. Pop in to see that, then go and stay at the Premier Inn in Stratford.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Kerry M
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would wonderful.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Initially,i was concerned that my visit was going to be a stressful one,due mainly to my experience whilst booking my stay,the abrupt manner of the woman i spoke to raised doubts,but,as i had to be in that immediate area,i forged onward.I was annoyed that she didn't seem in the least interested in my business,indeed i felt like i was keeping her from something,i had to repeat my name several times and ring back to confirm my booking.Under normal circumstances,i would re-direct my plans as i spend half of my year staying in various hotels but it was short notice. However when i arrived,i was pleasantly surprised,a very pleasant setting[albeit a rough ride up the drive],pleasant and helpful reception staff,the room was fair and i enjoyed the meals i consumed while i was there. Luckily i went past the first hurdle of the telephone booking and gave it a chance and will possibly use Studley Castle again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice castle accommdation and grounds, value for money, cooked b'fast very reasonable price, parking on site is free. The grounds are excellent for the children to play in, lovely decor of the dinning and lounge room and bar, would stay again, need a few nights at a place like this!! Very grand indeed. Close to birmingham and stratford on avon, which is the birthplace of Shakepeare. Need a car to get to the castle. Awesome breakfast, we had a great big room in the old tower section, it was great!!, staff awesome as well!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank starstar13
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

We are so happy to know that the amazing team at Devere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've just stayed here last night and I would never stay here again. On arrival the hotel looks beautiful from the outside, and the reception area and receptionists were very pleasant and efficient. After that everything went down hill....
In the rooms we were allocated, the beds went up at the foot end, wallpaper was peeling off the walls, damp on the ceiling, bathroom smelt very stale, dirty bed sheets with stains on them, cobwebs on the ceiling, my friend has woke this morning and been bitten. one of our windows had been painted open, and the other was painted shut.

I must say the staff were lovely, very helpful and courteous. We went down to reception to complain about the rooms and they did move us to alternative rooms, they were slightly better than the original so we took them. Still had paper coming away from the walls, but we had to make the best of a bad situation.

Room Tip: Avoid room 216
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Hevs75

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Great sharing plate, lovely beef and delicious puddings! I attended a dinner at the Castle last night with 50 or so other people. The whole event went without fault.
The starter was made up of large sharing boards, 1 meat the other fish. Everyone on our table tucked in with great enthusiasm. There was more than enough of everything for everyone - which is pretty unusual at these sort of events and the quality was first class.
Main course was a good sized steak cooked well which is not easy for so many people.
Pudding was another large sharing board with lots of tasty treats and fresh fruit.
All in all a very good dinner.
The hotel rooms aren't the most modern in UK but the beds are clean and comfy and the shower hot and powerful. You'll NEVER get disturbed by road noise here so what more can you want? Oh breakfast, just had mine... plentiful, hot buffet. I'll be coming here again!

• Stayed: April 2014

We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed here on the night of Sunday 30th March on a Devere offer. I am late posting this review after giving Devere 2 weeks to answer my letter and email of complaint, which they haven't had the courtesy to do.

On arrival you certainly aren't met with the view that is shown on the website. To the right hand side of the main building is an old building housing the bedrooms and demountable buildings, which looked like a closed down outward bound centre. On arrival we sat in the car for 15 minutes deciding if we could bear to stay here.

The room we were allocated was small and desperately in need of refurbishment.

The only saving grace was the evening meal was excellent, even though you only had a choice of 4 items on the menu. This was probably due to hardly anyone staying there.

My advice is don't stay here!!

Room Tip: Don't accept a room in the annex!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sue M

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Chose the De Vere Venues Studley Castle for a quiet break and because it was only a few miles from my home town. Set in a large open space at the end of a long drive(which, unfortunately is full of potholes). An impressive building and the lobby is quite impressive too. The staff were really friendly and welcoming. Our room was a delux double and had a kingsize bed, a huge bathroom with a bath and over bath shower, and a lovely view over the fields. The evening meal was nice. Not an extensive menu but something for everyone, £28 for 3 course. Service was just right, not rushed and not to long between courses. The breakfast was very good, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast and the full English. A very pleasant stay, would go there again.

Room Tip: Was told by receptionist that the rooms in the original part. Of the building are the better ones bu...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reg C

Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!