“ideal location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
llandudno
“ideal location”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

we recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.the location is perfect for visiting stratford etc.which we did on the first day.the second day we had a lovely walk to the village where we had a nice coffee and cake at the local bakery.in the afternoon we went to a lovely town called alcester ,which is very pretty and full of tea rooms.we especially enjoyed the vintage tea room called orange mabel.on going back to the hotel we had some cheese and wine which was included in our deal.the staff are very friendly and cant help you enough.th breakfast was also very good.we will stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: the room we had was very comfortable.no noise .it was very peacfull
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yvonne m
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you taking the time and trouble to put your wonderful feedback on to the tripadvisor website it really does make a big difference to our business.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle very soon.
Kind regards Mark Starkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my second visit to Studley Castle (my first was in 2007). I would say Studley is a wedding venue first, a conference centre second and hotel third. Therefore if you come here just for a hotel room then this is last on the list and therefore do not expect more than an average room. I came here to attend a training course and stayed for 5 days.
I had read in some of the reviews that it was difficult to book (on the website it states to phone them directly). It took me 4 attempts to get rooms for the nights I needed. However I did get a great rate due to the errors they made. If you do book check you have received a confirmation email as well as the rate on the email. I personally wouldn't pay more than £50 for a general room here.
There is very little attention to detail in the rooms I stayed in. It feels like the hotel side is struggling and this is visible. I had to change rooms on my last day as a wedding party wanted to be located together. My first room was a double however it was quite small. If there had been 2 of us it would have been a bit cramped. The bed cover was marked and I did not have any pillow cases the first night so I wrapped a towel around the thin pillows. The desk was chipped and one of the ceiling lights did not work. The one bedside lamp was cheap and you had to get up and turn it off at the socket. The bathroom was a good size although it had been painted a lime green colour which was out of keeping with the hotel. The water pressure was average. The room was incredibly hot as the main heating pipe was on the side wall. On the plus side there was plenty of tea and coffee as well as bottled water which was handy. The bed was comfortable.
My second room was a twin. A good size although access to plug sockets was limited - I had to move a chest of drawers in the end. It was painted an awful chocolate brown colour. The furniture was in a lot better state. You had to climb on the bed to open the curtains. Again the bathroom was an ok size although somewhat dark in the shower area. The shower curtain had seen better days. Again the bed was comfortable.

We asked to see some of the turret rooms. They were a decent size and ranged from nice to worn and tatty. I was disappointed to see one of the nicer rooms had mould on the ceiling in the impressive bathroom. So if you do fork out for one of these it can be hit and miss.

It can get incredibly noisy at night if there is a wedding on especially if your room faces the front of the building or directly at the back (where the small bar is located). You can alos hear the music coming from the function room. There were 2 weddings whilst I was staying in May and several of my colleagues had disturbed nights. So again I would check if there are any weddings on before you book.

The breakfast room and dining room are absolutely stunning. You can look out onto the beautiful grounds. The breakfast is all self serve, the usual bacon, eggs, sausage, tomatoes, hash browns, beans, mushrooms etc. A toaster is provided. Cereals, tinned fruit and yogurt as well. The staff are incredibly friendly and will provide omelettes etc on request however this is not advertised. In fact all the staff were incredibly polite and helpful. This is the one thing that would make me come back to Studley Castle.

The bar area is very small but you can sit outside and look at the lovely view in good weather. There are also bar meals provided and a lunch menu. I did not try the food but all my colleagues said how nice it was and they appeared to have generous helpings.

There is also a sauna and gym although I did not try these. The grounds are stunning however you are limited as to where you can walk i.e. the long drive or a path at the back of the building - both can be done in 15 mins.

Lovely place for a wedding but not so good if you just want a hotel room.

Room Tip: Check if a wedding is on before booking as it gets noisy at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Gingermad4NYC
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard however I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the team members. If you could email me your contact number and when would be a good time to call you so we could discuss your recent stay with us thank you
mstarkey@studleycastle.com
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Fabulous venue. Staff were so attentive from the general manager announcing the new mr & mrs to the evening event. The reception was laid out beautifully & the meals arrived piping hot. The bedrooms were warm clean and quirky. As we were the grooms parents we had a turret room, a must do for a special occasion. The wedding planner ran everything smoothly. Strongly recommend to anyone couple who want something extra special. Well done

Room Tip: Have the best room that you can afford
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We had a terrible experience at this hotel.

Let's start with the room. Damp patches on the ceilings, rotting, stinking window frames, peeling wallpaper and threadbare carpets.

I had specifically requested a turret room in the old castle, well in advance, and this was completely ignored. When I queried it, "they were busy". Hmm. People we spoke to over dinner were given their choice of turret room when they arrived at the same time as us. (And they weren't busy, there were four couples in the restaurant that night.)

We had also notified them in advance (twice) of the fact my partner and I are both Coeliac and require gluten free food. This came as a surprise to them on check-in and had them scrambling about to make sure they could 'accommodate us'.

Dinner. Again, gluten free food came as a surprise to them and had the one (ONE!) member of staff in the whole restaurant looking very confused. In fact minutes later he offered us some nice bread rolls. What?!

We then asked what, on the less than extensive menu, we could eat. More scrambling lead to a photocopy of the menu being produced for us, with various dishes scribbled out in felt pen. Classy.

So, the soup was safe, we were told. Good. Until it came out full of croutons! This was hastily changed.

The main courses came, complete with inedibly tough pork and instant mashed potato and some sort of brown sauce.

When I tried to explain to the one waiter that it wasn't great, his response was a knowing 'You had the pork, didn't you? Yes....'

I asked that the two glasses of wine we ordered were removed from the bill as a gesture of good will.

Breakfast? "I'm sorry madam we don't do anything gluten free". What?! That'll be yogurt for us then.

Checking out? We were surprised to find that not only were the previous night's drinks not removed from the bill, but by stark contrast we had apparently ordered drinks to the value of £45! Amazing!

A beautiful castle on the outside, spoiled at every turn and in every hallway by threadbare carpets and tired paintwork, by peeling wallpaper and cracked ceilings.

But, there is a beautiful glass dome. Pop in to see that, then go and stay at the Premier Inn in Stratford.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Kerry M
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would wonderful.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Travellers are raving about these Studley hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Initially,i was concerned that my visit was going to be a stressful one,due mainly to my experience whilst booking my stay,the abrupt manner of the woman i spoke to raised doubts,but,as i had to be in that immediate area,i forged onward.I was annoyed that she didn't seem in the least interested in my business,indeed i felt like i was keeping her from something,i had to repeat my name several times and ring back to confirm my booking.Under normal circumstances,i would re-direct my plans as i spend half of my year staying in various hotels but it was short notice. However when i arrived,i was pleasantly surprised,a very pleasant setting[albeit a rough ride up the drive],pleasant and helpful reception staff,the room was fair and i enjoyed the meals i consumed while i was there. Luckily i went past the first hurdle of the telephone booking and gave it a chance and will possibly use Studley Castle again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice castle accommdation and grounds, value for money, cooked b'fast very reasonable price, parking on site is free. The grounds are excellent for the children to play in, lovely decor of the dinning and lounge room and bar, would stay again, need a few nights at a place like this!! Very grand indeed. Close to birmingham and stratford on avon, which is the birthplace of Shakepeare. Need a car to get to the castle. Awesome breakfast, we had a great big room in the old tower section, it was great!!, staff awesome as well!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank starstar13
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
We are so happy to know that the amazing team at Devere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've just stayed here last night and I would never stay here again. On arrival the hotel looks beautiful from the outside, and the reception area and receptionists were very pleasant and efficient. After that everything went down hill....
In the rooms we were allocated, the beds went up at the foot end, wallpaper was peeling off the walls, damp on the ceiling, bathroom smelt very stale, dirty bed sheets with stains on them, cobwebs on the ceiling, my friend has woke this morning and been bitten. one of our windows had been painted open, and the other was painted shut.

I must say the staff were lovely, very helpful and courteous. We went down to reception to complain about the rooms and they did move us to alternative rooms, they were slightly better than the original so we took them. Still had paper coming away from the walls, but we had to make the best of a bad situation.

Room Tip: Avoid room 216
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Hevs75
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
Billesley Manor Hotel
#1 of 3 in Alcester
Old Rectory House
Old Rectory House
#5 of 7 in Redditch

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!