“Easter break”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at the castle over the Easter weekend . The entrance is beautiful but the room in which we stayed was filthy. I did complain to reception but nothing was done. The kettle was filthy and the room dirty the carpet around the edges looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a long while. I asked the maid to clean the carpet on Easter Saturday it was done then but the kettle remained filthy. Just couldn't believe we payed to stay somewhere that dirty. I wouldn't sleep in my bedroom at home like that we didn't eat in the hotel as I couldn't bring myself to as if the bedrooms were that dirty what would the kitchen be like

Room Tip: Ask to see it before you take it
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flo D
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would be wonderful.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well, where can I start. I rang this hotel the morning I wanted to view it as a wedding venue with my friend Louise. The receptionist an Asian sounding lady said that the coordinator was not in and there would not be anyone available to do this. We decided to lunch there anyway and view the rooms we could without assistance. On approach the pot holed very long drive was an obstacle course trying to avoid these very large holes, more like craters and bags of hard core strategically placed along the drive On arrival at the castle we were met with a crumbled looking Asian girl who I believe was the same lady we had spoken to earlier. We explained who we were and again asked if anyone might be available. We were met with the same response. Not to be put off we asked where the bar was and if there were any high chairs available for my friends 1 year old daughter. She couldn't answer and walked off to find this out...???

We ventured into the bar which was drab and lacked lustre. There was no one around and after a patient and cold ten minutes as the French doors were swung open I went back to the bar to ask if we could order drinks and have a lunch time menu. The Asian girl- sorry I did not catch her name said that the girl she was talking to would be through. This young lady again had no personality and on ordering a ginger beer came back to enquire what one was and what it looked like? Something they did not stock I eventually got to know. We patiently sat with our menus needing to have asked for these - no up selling and again had to prompt if we could order, by this time she had been joined by a young tall lad who could barely hold his head up let alone smile. Training springs to mind. By this time a wedding venue here had long been forgotten. We ordered food both the same fish fingers in a giant seeded nap with rocket and tartar sauce accompanied by coleslaw. The food itself was hot tasty and well presented. However we had ordered chips as an extra side dish not having been told by the lad or not being listed on on the menu that our dish already came with it. That was the first error, so these went back wasted. Secondly we had no rocket and tartar sauce also had to be asked for. The seeded bun turned out to be ciabatta bread and the fish fingers were pink inside being salmon. 5 errors in one meal. By this time we were pretty fed up and asked to speak with the manager, running through our visit from the very beginning. She I must say was professional and listened and agreed to their failing, saying she would follow up,our points and added that she had been available all day had she been asked by reception to show us round, something she then offered, however I declined politely. This is such a lovely building that lacks warmth, good quality staff, and most definitely needs money spending on it, however good service costs nothing. So so disappointing and if I was the manager I would be looking to put my skill into a hotel that so rightly deserves me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Babebond

We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent visit that would be wonderful.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I'm reluctant to recommend this hotel - because I don't want to find it's fully booked every time I want to return! A charming 1840s Victorian High Gothic country house it was, for over 60 years a Ladies Agricultural College. Dine in the splendour of the Oak Dining Room. The food is superb - fresh, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Studley Castle has a top-notch chef. The rooms are to De Vere's usual high standard of comfort and cleanliness and the staff are only too willing to deal with queries and adjust things to a guest's satisfaction. This is a fairly recent De Vere acquisition and is progressively being refurbished and updated. Even as it is, it's a peaceful, welcoming hideaway. Recommended for a romantic weekend break.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor, directly above the kitchens and overlooking the car park - and was...
2  Thank Keith D

We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel which is well placed for Stratford Upon Avon & numerous NT houses.
Staff were very welcoming at all times & the chef needs to be congratulated on the evening meals -top notch, well presented & substantial.
Our room had a lovely rear view over sweeping fields & had recently been refurbished ( I think)
with ceiling down lighters & comfy bed.
The Hotel has large, elegant public rooms- so many De Vere venues have restricted space for leisure guests.
Obviously it needs further money spending on it - the grounds are overgrown in places & I suppose there must be a rolling programme of improvements. The long drive for instance had bags of tarmac along it waiting to be spread into the numerous potholes.
All in all a great location & a very good hotel with scope to improve in the future.

1  Thank Elizabeth F
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

On driving up to the Castle (Hotel) we were impressed with what we saw albeit the drive was very badly in need of renewing with numerous potholes. The reception staff were lovely and very very helpful as were all the other staff, young as they were. The downstairs rooms, although obviously luxurious in its time, were in definite need of refurbishment. The bedroom was on a par with a travelodge, very basic with very noisy plumbing but very clean and like another reviewer said the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The breakfast was superb. We had a wonderful two days and would certainly go again if we were in the area but would hope that the De Vere group would by then have spent a bit of money to upgrade what could be a thriving hotel/venue

1  Thank LancashireOggy
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I thank you for the nice comments regarding the team here and I would also like to apologise for the drive and I will do my best to make sure it's better on your next visit
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Should be renamed DUDley castle. Was really looking forward for my partner and I staying in a castle but was badly let down. We booked three nights and stayed two, couldn't stay any longer. The pluses were location and sceneryu. The many minuses were, the potholed driveway was a disgrace and driving up it was an experience, the room was very very outdated and in major need of attention, the location of the kettle was a joke as the lead didn't even reach a socket!, the mould arond the sink and bathroom window (room 105), the very uncomfortable and somewhat small double bed that gave both my partner and I neck aches from a not so good night sleep, the TV losing its signal on the occasions we tried using it ( I reported this after our 1st night and was told it would be looked into but the problem occured the next night/day). When we decided to leave after our second night I removed our case from the top of the wardrobe only for it to be coated in thick dust off the top of the wardrobe! I also found a rail ticket up there that was dated Dec 13 (which was probably the last time it was cleaned). All in all a very poor hotel considering it is a De Vere Venue hotel.....

Room Tip: Until money is spent to refurb... look elsewhere
1  Thank Devilredray
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here two nights and were distinctly unimpressed on arrival. Approach drive full of potholes, a very small bedroom with DIY chipboard shelving looking out onto the carpark and the kitchen extractor fans, and a ganeral air of having seen much better days. However, we got the room changed to one at the back overlooking a wide and peaceful view - literally not a house in sight - and larger bathroom, and then went down to dinner... Our food both nights was absolutely excellent (although either the chairs are very low or the tables are strangely high) - compliments to the chef! Although the whole place is sorely in need of refurbishment, the public rooms are very impressive architecturally and the view from the terrace is stunning. The staff, mainly young and somewhat untrained, do their best and are very friendly and helpful, which makes up for a multitude of sins. The whole place feels slightly surreal and a bit like something out of a novel... With money spent on it, it could be utterly fabulous but then of course we would be paying a lot more, as another reviewer has stated. There ARE things that could be done that do not require money, such as removing that unsightly skip full of rubbish in the grounds to a more discreet spot - these things really jar when walking through potentially lovely arboretum-style grounds with impressive trees and lovely wild flowers woven into the grass. Attention to detail does not cost money. The place was generally clean but we had stained crockery in the bedroom and cobwebs behind the chipboard shelving. BUT... Our bed was SO comfortable, it was so quiet and the view tremendous, and those evening meals so yummy, and we loved the general atmosphere, so I am actually giving it 4 stars for what we paid. Yes, we would return (but fingers crossed the chef would still be there...). Such a lovely area...
Well done to all the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the terrace and views at the back - we changed ours to 207
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and I would also like to apologise for the potholes, I will do my very best to make it better on your next visit and thank you for the comments regarding the food being yummy.....
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
3 mi away
Kings Court Hotel
Kings Court Hotel
#1 of 3 in Alcester

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!