“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
London, England
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Fantastic stay at Studley last weekend. Some people say the interior is a little tired and so on but it is a castle - what do you expect. The room was fine. Clean and well stocked. Bathroom fine. I am not likely to spend all my time in the room so I found it perfectly adequate - I am only going to sleep there.
The dinner was OK - I had a special weekender deal. However I did not think it was worth the price on the menu. The wait between courses was epic. The waiting staff was very goodnatured but the service form the kitchen was glacial. I ran out of conversation and resorted to counting the lights on the chandelier. Was it worth the wait? Is it just me or does anyone else agree that food on a welsh slate with bits of greenery scattered about is pretentious. Just normal, wholesome, good food will do anytime. If this means I am an unsophisticated savage then I do not mind. However, breakfast was outstanding. That is almost impossible to mess up. Hardly ever have a cooked breakfast but theirs was really good.
The staff were (nearly without exception) all wonderful. They are all young and all seem to be enjoying themselves which is great to see. There must be some good management going on.
Mark Starkey is the manager and he never stops - he should have a pedometer - he must do about ten miles or more in a day running around making sure everything is going well for the guests. Ruth at the front desk when we arrived helpfully charged up my Tom Tom which had decided to go on holiday by itself and stopped working.
All things considered I would recommend Studley Hall. Lets not be po faced about this. It is an English Hotel in the middle of the countryside in a huge castle. It is mock gothic, not medieval. Loosen up and have some fun.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear tonylondon54, what can I say your review means a lot to us here at the Castle.We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience and I promise I will have my pedometer fitted by then
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I booked a “superior” room at Studley Castle as a romantic getaway for our wedding anniversary. From the description and promotional photos it looked like a wonderful place to use as a base for our weekend. We could not have been more wrong. Please do not be fooled. This hotel is very much past its prime.

The approach to the hotel from the “delegate parking” area takes you between horribly run down outbuildings and offices, which creates a terrible first impression, but which should have served as a warning of what to expect.

On entering the front doors I was shocked at how tired the reception looked. A wedding reception appeared to be in full swing in the bar area, so we did not encroach on someone else’s party by looking in there. On checking in, we were taken to our room on the third floor at the front of the building by a rickety lift that my wife tripped out of (the lift stops a couple of inches short of ground level), passing on our way down a number of corridors of varyingly unpleasant odour.

The room itself was horrifying. We had paid for a “superior" room, which does not in any way resemble the rooms advertised as such on the website. The first thing that struck us was the heat. The radiator had been left on, leaving the room stiflingly hot. We would have opened the mildew covered window had it not been marked with a label telling us “this window does not open.” The bathroom was, in fairness, clean and modern. It is a profound shame that the rest of the tiny, cramped, outdated room did not match: the furniture and walls were all marked, stained, chipped and scuffed; the carpet was dirty and very old looking and in front of the bedside cabinet was a bottle cap left by, I assume, a previous occupant.

A cursory inspection of the room made me think that we had by mistake been booked into a standard room. The photos we had seen were of clean, modern, spacious rooms. The room we found ourselves in felt like we had been stuffed into staff quarters.

On phoning reception, I asked if we were in fact in a superior room. I was told with an air of unsurprised resignation that yes we were. On complaining that the room was dirty and tatty I was asked “is there anything else?” To which I repeated my complaint. On asking to be moved I was told the hotel was full.

So disgusted were we with the condition of our room we decided we would rather cancel our plans and return home, ruining our wedding anniversary and leaving my wife in tears and me furious.

From the outside and at a distance, Studley Castle is a beautiful work of 19th Century architecture worthy of preservation. The interior however is a run down and poorly maintained, badly cleaned disappointment. We were there for little more than 20 minutes and that was more than enough to ensure we will never return.

To my mind, Studley Castle is venue worthy of the most undiscerning business traveller or the superficial bride-to-be who cares more about having the word “castle” on her invitations than providing quality accommodation for her guests.

Room Tip: Be careful on the approach road: if the potholes don't get you, the unmarked speedbumps probably...
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David J
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear DavidJ First of all I would like to apologize for the issues for experienced during your recent visit to the Castle.
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit, please could you email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent visit that would be wonderful.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Travellers are raving about these Studley hotels

Cornwall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

From reading other reviews I sort if expected what to find. It's an amazing building and lovely grounds and with some money spent on it it would be really nice. Not so nice outbuildings from when it was ladies agricultural college. The entrance area and restaurant were fine, it was just when you got to the halls and bedrooms that you could see they needed modernising. We had a lovely buffet breakfast in a lovely room with a gorgeous view. Staff were friendly. Needs working on but with money and time I think it will be great.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank RACH3884
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear RACH3884
We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had an overnight stay for a wedding. It was lovely - I could have stayed a week. Staff were very helpful and friendly, and the room comfortable and clean, and lovely grounds. Breakfast was great - apart from the very weak coffee - maybe that could be improved upon!

Would love to revisit and spend longer in the hotel and exploring the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be quiet. Ours overlooked the main entrance and courtyard, but was still qu...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jill R
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

A good value place to stay if you are in the area. Looks stunning from outside but a bit tired and dated inside. But is cheaper than a premier inn and much more ambience! Certainly worth a look. Nice grounds too!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank StephenOs
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear StephenOs
We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and I would We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had read other reviews before making a booking at Studley Castle and I heeded them to the extent that I changed our original room selection from a £40 Standard Twin to a £68 Superior Double : so £88 including breakfast. That may not be top of the range , but it is not cheap. It is in that context that I make my comments. First, the drive may have been repaired , but it remains very bumpy and rutted. Secondly, the interior of the hotel, whilst it has areas of impressive grandeur, has an overall feel of somewhat shabby conference centre. Thirdly, the mattress in our room was very worn and uncomfortable. On a more positive note, all staff were friendly and helpful and the room itself was spacious- including the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Alis0n1234
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear AlisOn1234,
First of all I would like to apologize for the issues for experienced during your recent stay with us at the Castle.
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay, however I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the team members. So if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would be wonderful.
S.cambs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Well we could see the beauty of the castle from the road, very excited! Then we hit the driveway still very excited! Looks lovely.
Got keys to our room,... Total disappointment. Nearly cried!! The room was hot pokey and awful. (Sorry) we were put above the kitchens I believe (I could be wrong )! Around 11-12 pm/am staff were leaving and it was SO noisy. The bed was higher at the foot end than the head end my husband and I slept top to tail to try to even the bed out! The bed was small too. No extra pillows in room. Then in the morning quite early the kitchen staff were banging metal trays about and you could hear generators all night!!! And if that's not enough the hotel put a family with children directly above us and they were bouncing around on our ceiling!!! Why put children on wooden floor boards above people?! I have nothing against children at all but we had VERY little sleep so much noise. It was roasting hot had to have windows open a bit oh dear. Would never go back there sorry. Saying that the positive thing was the two bar/ waiting staff, on that evening. Impeccable manners.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barneyandco
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard, so if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would be wonderful.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,941 reviews
Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
Premier Inn Redditch North (A441) Hotel

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!