Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bridge House(Henley-in-Arden)
View Hotel
The White Swan Hotel(Henley-in-Arden)
Abbey Hotel(Redditch)
View Hotel
Bell at Tanworth in Arden(Tanworth-in-Arden)
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We arrived late at this hotel and found the driveway full of potholes. The drive up to the castle however was amazing as the building is beautiful.

When we found the car park it was so dark and there were no signs or lighting to direct us to the reception. We checked in and were directed to the room.

The lift was very slow and we found our way to our "double room". This term should be used loosely as it was a small room and there was only 1 bedside table. The tea and coffee facilities, the kettle lead did not reach the plug without perching it on the edge of the shelf - a health hazard.

The wifi did not work properly and it was not until the morning that I could connect to it, it still dropped in and out.

We realised that we did not have any towels in the bathroom and on checking the wardrobe we found 1 set of towels thrown into the wardrobe. Given that this was a double room there should have been 2 sets of towels. There was also no bathroom mat for stepping out of the bath/shower onto which given it was a sloppy floor was concerning.

Breakfast was ok but the staff were not friendly or helpful. One waitress glared at us which was disconcerting.

Checking out was the most interesting process, as they had no record of our booking through a third party site and wanted us to pay again. Thankfully through having a copy of the email to had it proved that we had already paid but that still did not solve the problem. It was very clear that there was no organisation of the hotel staff as to how guests had booked and paid for their stay.

Would I stay there again, not sure. It's in need of a lot of work, threadbare carpets on the stairs, rooms needing modernised and wifi needing to be resolved.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DQ73
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Yvonne D,
First of all I would like to apologize for the issues for experienced during your recent stay with us at the Castle.
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay; So if you could please email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent stay that would be wonderful.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Fantastic stay at Studley last weekend. Some people say the interior is a little tired and so on but it is a castle - what do you expect. The room was fine. Clean and well stocked. Bathroom fine. I am not likely to spend all my time in the room so I found it perfectly adequate - I am only going to sleep there.
The dinner was OK - I had a special weekender deal. However I did not think it was worth the price on the menu. The wait between courses was epic. The waiting staff was very goodnatured but the service form the kitchen was glacial. I ran out of conversation and resorted to counting the lights on the chandelier. Was it worth the wait? Is it just me or does anyone else agree that food on a welsh slate with bits of greenery scattered about is pretentious. Just normal, wholesome, good food will do anytime. If this means I am an unsophisticated savage then I do not mind. However, breakfast was outstanding. That is almost impossible to mess up. Hardly ever have a cooked breakfast but theirs was really good.
The staff were (nearly without exception) all wonderful. They are all young and all seem to be enjoying themselves which is great to see. There must be some good management going on.
Mark Starkey is the manager and he never stops - he should have a pedometer - he must do about ten miles or more in a day running around making sure everything is going well for the guests. Ruth at the front desk when we arrived helpfully charged up my Tom Tom which had decided to go on holiday by itself and stopped working.
All things considered I would recommend Studley Hall. Lets not be po faced about this. It is an English Hotel in the middle of the countryside in a huge castle. It is mock gothic, not medieval. Loosen up and have some fun.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear tonylondon54, what can I say your review means a lot to us here at the Castle.We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience and I promise I will have my pedometer fitted by then

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My wife and I booked a “superior” room at Studley Castle as a romantic getaway for our wedding anniversary. From the description and promotional photos it looked like a wonderful place to use as a base for our weekend. We could not have been more wrong. Please do not be fooled. This hotel is very much past its prime.

The approach to the hotel from the “delegate parking” area takes you between horribly run down outbuildings and offices, which creates a terrible first impression, but which should have served as a warning of what to expect.

On entering the front doors I was shocked at how tired the reception looked. A wedding reception appeared to be in full swing in the bar area, so we did not encroach on someone else’s party by looking in there. On checking in, we were taken to our room on the third floor at the front of the building by a rickety lift that my wife tripped out of (the lift stops a couple of inches short of ground level), passing on our way down a number of corridors of varyingly unpleasant odour.

The room itself was horrifying. We had paid for a “superior" room, which does not in any way resemble the rooms advertised as such on the website. The first thing that struck us was the heat. The radiator had been left on, leaving the room stiflingly hot. We would have opened the mildew covered window had it not been marked with a label telling us “this window does not open.” The bathroom was, in fairness, clean and modern. It is a profound shame that the rest of the tiny, cramped, outdated room did not match: the furniture and walls were all marked, stained, chipped and scuffed; the carpet was dirty and very old looking and in front of the bedside cabinet was a bottle cap left by, I assume, a previous occupant.

A cursory inspection of the room made me think that we had by mistake been booked into a standard room. The photos we had seen were of clean, modern, spacious rooms. The room we found ourselves in felt like we had been stuffed into staff quarters.

On phoning reception, I asked if we were in fact in a superior room. I was told with an air of unsurprised resignation that yes we were. On complaining that the room was dirty and tatty I was asked “is there anything else?” To which I repeated my complaint. On asking to be moved I was told the hotel was full.

So disgusted were we with the condition of our room we decided we would rather cancel our plans and return home, ruining our wedding anniversary and leaving my wife in tears and me furious.

From the outside and at a distance, Studley Castle is a beautiful work of 19th Century architecture worthy of preservation. The interior however is a run down and poorly maintained, badly cleaned disappointment. We were there for little more than 20 minutes and that was more than enough to ensure we will never return.

To my mind, Studley Castle is venue worthy of the most undiscerning business traveller or the superficial bride-to-be who cares more about having the word “castle” on her invitations than providing quality accommodation for her guests.

Room Tip: Be careful on the approach road: if the potholes don't get you, the unmarked speedbumps probably will.
Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David J
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear DavidJ First of all I would like to apologize for the issues for experienced during your recent visit to the Castle.
We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit, please could you email me your contact details and when is a good time to call you so we can discuss your recent visit that would be wonderful.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

From reading other reviews I sort if expected what to find. It's an amazing building and lovely grounds and with some money spent on it it would be really nice. Not so nice outbuildings from when it was ladies agricultural college. The entrance area and restaurant were fine, it was just when you got to the halls and bedrooms that you could see they needed modernising. We had a lovely buffet breakfast in a lovely room with a gorgeous view. Staff were friendly. Needs working on but with money and time I think it will be great.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank RACH3884
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear RACH3884
We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had an overnight stay for a wedding. It was lovely - I could have stayed a week. Staff were very helpful and friendly, and the room comfortable and clean, and lovely grounds. Breakfast was great - apart from the very weak coffee - maybe that could be improved upon!

Would love to revisit and spend longer in the hotel and exploring the area.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be quiet. Ours overlooked the main entrance and courtyard, but was still quiet. The rooms at the back of the hotel would have the best views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill R

We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.