Vecchia Osteria Pizzeria Bella Napoli
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Great food, relaxed atmosphere, simple but just great, friendly and helpful staff (even delivered 45 pizzas to Villa Catignano in 40 min from ordering them!)!

1  Thank Lina T

Reviewed 26 December 2011

I'm a regular at this place. Nowadays I live around the corner, but I've known it, and visited it for the better part of 8 years. Whenever I want to eat well, I venture out in the countryside, away from Siena. La Vecchia Osteria is less than 5 min from Porta Ovile, and even if you're in a hotel in the very centre, it is well worth the short trip. The couple running the restaurant is lovely. It's a sort of family affair, which also means you might have to wait for your food. But trust me, it's worth it. We're talking a blend between Emiglia-Romagna and Tuscany, which is truly a good place to start. I'd recommend the collo di gallina (stuffed hen's neck), as a starter. As awful as it sounds, presentation is appealing, and there is nothing except pleasure in this dish. It will come across as a patè, so don't worry and just order it. In the cold season there is the salama. I'm not going into details - let's just say it is some meat and potato purè. Fantastic meat and potato! It's not all hardcore, they've got some very delicately flavoured pastas, veggies, and traditional fare that is delicious. Should you be lucky to arrive in the period when they've got the goat's cheese (caprini), absolutely go for it. They are exceptional, and, if like me, you prefer cheese over dessert, it's going to be pure pleasure. Hope you drop by at this place, they speak both French and English, and, more importantly, the language of food. Rob

1  Thank RobbieJey
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Roberta is lovely and welcoming, she also speaks Engish! The menu is not expansive so you can be sure to get fresh locally sourced ingredients. The atmosphere is friendly and informal, and the food is the sort any fine restaurant would be proud to dish out! In short, a place that when you're leaving, you wish you can return to some time....
P.s. They also have wi fi if you want to research your next day's travels!

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Highly recommend this spot for a great Italian meal. We were staying up the street at Borgo Scopeto and made the drive down, but even if you're staying in Siena, it'd be worth the trip. The husband and wife team running the show do a fantastic job, very welcoming atmosphere, food was fantastic, great pastas, and the meats were also quite good. The service really stands out though, Roberta made us feel so welcome, it really was like going over for a family dinner with a relative, she made some excellent wine recommendations and walked our ignorant American family through the menu which was in Italian. Price-wise it wasn't super cheap, but also not memorably expensive, right where you'd expect for good home cooked food. It can get busy, so reservations would be a good idea during the high tourist season.

Reviewed 29 March 2011

I visit this restaurant each time I am in Siena even though it is a few kilometers down the road from Siena. They focus on the freshest local ingredients including local wines - and you can taste the care. The food is inventive and absolutely delicious. The owners - Gianluigi (in the kitchen) and Roberta (front of the house) take wonderful care of you. (They fixed a special pasta dish for me with truffles when I was there in March.)

On one of my first visits there I met a couple from the US that visit the restaurant annually. They make sure they are there on an evening when fresh pici is available. I was surprised that they came back each year - but after one meal I realized why. I have now visited the restaurant 4 times in the last 5 years and if I'm close to Siena I make a special trip to go.