“Best family vacation of my life till date”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sangla
Banjara Camp & Retreat - Sangla Valley Camp
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

After lot of research, we arrived in sangla still not knowing what to expect. Three families with six kids ranging between three to eleven years of age. The whole experience was out of this world. An amazing property by the river side sitting in lap of beautiful, snow capped mountains amidst orchards. Both the building as well as the tents provide a unique experience.
There was a wide range of activities for all age groups. Stayed four nights and not once did the kids miss their favourite cartoon channels. Apart from the day treks, there was a whole gamut of outdoor and indoor games, wide range of books, almost 24 hr functional kitchen and the most courteous hosts -Captain and Mrs Sood. They accompanied us all the way to sangla meadows even carrying our breakfast.
Rakcham walk was a bit difficult for young kids but with porters it was manageable. Chitkul is an easy leisurely walk. Sangla meadows is only for the fit but can b managed at a slow pace.
Food was simply amazing with a wide variety. We were provided with anything that we asked for the kids anytime of the day.
Some people might not like the long drive from simla but even that's worth it. One can stop on the way with a multitude of small, scenic towns on the way.
One of the best hill vacation of my life probably and would love to visit banjara resort, if possible, every year.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank whms

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Staying in solang valley was a great experience in living in village in the foot hills of Himalayas. The only problem in reaching there is that the road till there is not good. It's under construction and the journey is long. The retreat is excellent and provides you with perfectly quiet place without any access to television, phones or any other kind of recreational activity. Hotel rooms are excellent with a nice view from large full size glass on the side of mountains. The snow clad peaks of himalayas look awesome. It also provides you with some activities like trekking, river crossing. Its a place to sit down and relax and enjoy the nature... However they serve only vegetarian food along with the eggs. They also provide you with chicken barbecue and bonfire to enjoy the evening. Weather is almost always cold and its advisable to carry jackets or sweaters.

Room Tip: Don't take cottages as they are not hygienic.. Prefer the rooms instead.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rajavrin
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Thanks to my job with an automobile company coupled with my love for travel to unexplored destinations led me to Banjara Camp at Sangla way back in 2009. Yes it’s almost 3 years ago but i wanted my first review on Trip Advisor to be for Banjara Resorts because that’s how special it is.

This was part of my 5 days solo trip to Sangla Valley in May 2009. For Himachal trips, i just love the HPTDC hotels; they have the best location for all their properties. But for Sangla, since there was no good option available, i came across Banjara Resorts

Was a bit hesitant at the beginning since it was not very well known then.... but my positive experience began right from the time i called them for an inquiry. Their representative was very helpful and requested me to just come and experience something different at their resort. And i agreed. Indeed they were right.

Reaching here though is not easy, from Chandigarh the nearest airport, it’s quite a bit of travel (around 15 hours or so ...mind you i am talking about 2009 dunno how the roads are now), and so I had a stopover at another beautiful location Sarahan and then reached this awesome place on day 2.
The location of this resort is most special and one which i clearly remember even today. Its bang in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by mountainous range and the most stunning and icy Bapsa river. The climate was just perfect for May. Cool during the day and chilly by night.
The resort was very beautiful and clean, the staff was extremely helpful and well dressed, and there were even some great books in the common area. The tent they put me in was very well maintained and comfortable.

Since i alone on this trip, it was the perfect setting to spend some quality time with myself. Just sitting next to the river surrounded by mountains and not a single soul around was a dream which i actually managed to experience in reality. (You need to check the photos to connect with what i felt).The evenings were even more beautiful with the sky so clear and lit up with stars.

The next morning I visited Chitkul, around 30 mins drive from this resort and again the whole journey was really nice. Chitkul is the last Indian village with a population of merely 600. The views from Chitkul were simply breathtaking. One can have so much fun communicating with the locals. There is even a dhaba which sported 'The Last Indian Dhaba' board! One can easily spend 3-4 hours here.

Just a 2 day trip to this resort was enough for me to establish a special connect with this place more than many other resorts I have been to; I highly recommend this for solo and couple travelers. It’s one experience you need to plan for soon!

Room Tip: Don't travel direct to Sangla from Chandigarh/ Shimla have a stopover at Sarahan you will be mor...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Towards the end of October this year I had been to Kinnaur with my family. Actually my son arranged the entire tour with Banjara Camp. Though this is my second visit to the valley the accomodation this time is different. During my first visit I myself made the arrangement with HPTDC with a slightly different itinerary. This time our last place of stay was in Sangla at Banjara Camp property. We took three Super Delux rooms in the upstair. It is a huge property by the side of river Baspa and apple orchard around. It is managed by Mr. Sood, an ex-defence personnel,who looks after the comforts of the guest all the time and he will be your friend in no time. During our stay there we had a feeling that we are really in the land of God. The atmosphere is serene and heavenly. Service is excellent. During our stay we were served with Indian, Chinese and Continental dishes which were never repeated and the taste is very good. If anybody likes to enjoy Sangla stay at Banjara Camp.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ghosebhaskar
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Aah .. we were absolutely thrilled when we reached the retreat. The location is very good ; it is amidst an apple orchard and sweet pea plants with yellow flowers. We really loved our room which had a loft with another bed ( so our girl took the dibs on that !!! ). There was a very nice potpourri kind of smell from our room ( perhaps the wood itself ) and it was a welcoming note every time we entered. The retreat is close to the bank of the river Baspa.

There is no room service here although they give tea and snacks to the room. There is a campfire most evenings. Food was good through out our stay.

There was no TV ( disappointment with a child in tow ) but they have a library, indoor games. To my mind to make it a real luxury haunt - you need TV and room service !! But they claim that it is a place to get away from it all !!! :)

It is easy to just sit in the patio and relax soaking up the atmosphere of calm and quiet with just the river water gurgling to be heard.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Vdy B
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Let me start by saying that there aren't too many people who seem to know about this place. Per se Sangla valley in Kinnaur, Himachal remains a relatively unexplored destination and I refer to other 'touristy' destinations like Manali etc. We traveled from Mumbai (via Delhi, with a 3 day stop over at Shimla) in June this year and I have no hesitation in saying that this was probably the finest holiday experience that we had. Sangla as a place (and I include the Banjara resort itself) is awesome. Right from the jaw dropping ride from Shimla to Sangla, which takes about 9-10 hours to the amazingly beautiful location and surroundings at the camp, its just an experience that needs to be undergone. The camp has 15 odd tents and approx an equal no of rooms in the main building. If you wish to minimize the impact of the cold weather then a stay in the main building should be preferred. This place is open between April to Oct since after that its completely covered with snow. The camp is right on the banks of the Baspa river and is surrounded by the Himalayan range on almost all sides. This place offers an exhilarating experience in terms of treks up to places such as Rackcham or Chitkul (located 25km from Sangla and serves as a base for the Kinner-Kailash pilgrimage; this is the last village on the India - Tibet border). The view and the imagery at these locations is surreal with a complete 360 degree view of the snow capped peaks. There are enough spots around Chitkul to sit down and camp for a day and return back to Sangla. If you are the adventurous type then you can travel ahead from Sangla towards Kalpa, Kaza right up to Spiti. Overall this is an amazing place and Banjara Camp is the perfect getaway in the midst of nature at its very best. And yes, the food and service quality at Banjara is impeccable so don't worry about this being a strenuous stay if traveling with children etc. So if you are thinking of an off beat destination up north and want an experience that is truly mind blowing (leave Leh/Ladakh or Lahaul/Spiti aside!) then think no further, Banjara Camp at Sangla is the perfect place for you. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on level 1 in the main building. They have a balcony that opens out towards the Hi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank yogesh_ajinkya
Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

This retreat is the perfect place to escape from the madness of Indian cities. It was beautiful, comfortable, safe and friendly, with lots to do. You can also do nothing at all very easily here as it is so peaceful and quiet. We really enjoyed our stay and want to thank Capt. Sud (the owner) and all the amazing staff for making our honeymoon very memorable.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Smeliza
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sangla
Kinner Camp Sangla
Samaa Resorts - Chitkul Heights
Hotel Madhu
Hotel Madhu
#5 of 15 in Sangla

Been to Banjara Camp & Retreat - Sangla Valley Camp? Share your experiences!