Askari Game Lodge & Spa
Maropeng Boutique Hotel(Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site)
Magalies Manor Hotel(Magaliesburg)
Budmarsh Country Lodge(Magaliesburg)
TripAdvisor
De Hoek Country Hotel(Magaliesburg)
  • Pool
Valley Lodge & Spa(Magaliesburg)
Forum Homini Hotel(Muldersdrift)
TripAdvisor
All reviewselephant experienceaskari game lodgeexcellent servicewatering holecakeoxbush braaiwhole experiencewater holehot water bottlesunderfloor heatingwild animalsattention to detailsunday lunchfood was amazingdrivetreatment
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My husband and I got married at Askari Lodge in December 2012. It was recommended to us by our wedding planner and we had our first visit in January 2012. From the moment we started organising our wedding Marlene and all of the staff were helpful and attentive to our every need. All of our requests were met and exceeded our expectations. All of our wedding guests stayed for the night of our wedding and most of them stayed a second night. Our guests mostly travelled from the UK, Australia and from various places in SA. They were all impressed with the service. There are so many things to comment on but here are a few things that may help you decide if this is the place for you to get married:

-The stunning forest ceremony venue is secluded and so special for those who want to get married outdoors. All of our guests were driven out in the safari vehicles which was a nice touch. They also have a little chapel for those who would prefer a ceremony indoors.
-We organised a game drive for all guests immediately after our ceremony while we had our photographs taken. They have the big 5 which was great for our international guests.
-They have a big conference room but we opted to have our reception on the deck outside which had a fantastic view of the mountains.
- The food was divine - especially the steak. Our guests commented on how lovely the wedding meal was.
-The rooms have an 'antique Dutch' feel which is not really my style but the rooms were clean, spacious and well equipped. They can accomodate 60 guests so we booked out the entire venue for the night which meant that we had complete exclusivity and it was very private.
-We did the 'Elephant Experience' for our wedding photographs. It was a bit scary but it was so special to have wedding pics with the ellies!

There is nothing about our wedding that I would change. It was absolutely perfect. Thank you to all of the wonderful staff for making it so special.

Room Tip: There are two rows of rooms. Ask for one in the first row (closest to the water hole- I think it's rooms 10-30 but check when you book) so that you get a better view. The first time we stayed was in room 10 (Gazelle room) which was right at the end so it was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sausagesandmash
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Askari was the perfect spa weekend getaway. I booked a spa package which was phenomenal, the ladies at the spa tended to my every desire and were very flexible to my needs and schedule. The hotel staff couldn't do enough to make sure I had an excellent stay, they were phenomenal. I was in the executive room (3 Impala), the room was spacious, comfortable and was beyond my expectations. The food was delicious as well as the cocktails, the afternoon game drive was exciting and fun I liked the fact that they knew me by name and my needs off by heart. This was truly a remarkable experience that I intend making my annual retreat! Well done to the team at Askari!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Due to an error in judgement we had to find alternate accommodation and Askari happened to be "IT", thankfully I chose much better this time. Only had one night stay but it was very enjoyable. Staff made a mistake in our room choice which was corrected and complimented with a bottle of champagne (much appreciated) but Room No. 1 is not a place I would book, it is close to the workers area and kitchen so noise is inevitable.
Executive chalet is a nice size, clean, neat and an earthy smell due to the thatch, which we like. Bathroom large with bath and shower, plenty of towels.
Food good and view lovely on the terrace. Elephants, Warthog, Nyala were all viewed in one day!
Pity we couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: Chalets 10 to 14 are the best, view of watering hole and roomy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This "resort" is about 90 minutes from Johannesburg. The staff is beyond phenomenal. They cannot do enough for the guests. The place itself needs some serious work.

The "Chalet" to which we were assigned was clean enough but had some serious odor problems and a moldy shower. Even if it is in the wilderness, there are ways to control that. Food was scary. I am usually adventurous but after a couple of attempts at some of the native delights, I was not delighted and went back to safe things. Like bread. And Jam.

The game drive is very artificial. It IS a game reserve so the lions are fenced and it does appear that the giraffes and wildebeest are trained to appear at the sign of the game trucks. Even the elephants have a stable. It IS nice for an non-wild view of the animals. The conference center is airconditioned but nothing else is -- so beware on those hot days -- it could be a little tough.

Again -- maybe the rustic nature of this place isn't for me. But there could be improvements

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The pictures looked great for this location and some are in fact identical to what we found. If you are traveling from Johannesburg this is not the easiest location to find. Once you arrive you have to check in at the conference center which is located on a hill above the complex. The day we checked in there was absolutely nothing happening and the conference complex was closed. Our room was not ready and we were ask to come back later and if they were not open to ask for a key in the restaurant. Not a very good way in my opinion to run a hotel. we left and came back before the center closed and was able to get our key. Then we drove down the hill to the complex and located our room. It was rustic and I would challenge a 4 or 5 star rating for this location. I room had a thatched roof and an old claw foot bathtub that apparently was more for show than use. The bed was not the most comfortable in the world and we did not get a good nights sleep. It rained all night as a very strong storm came though. There is no place to travel to for dinner thus one must have dinner at the location or not eat. We chose the dinner and you could choose the entree which in our case was not all that great. There was a small salad bar and an even smaller desert bar. The seating in the restaurant is designed to overlook a small lake where elephants come to water. We were there about three hours and never saw nay wild game. The grounds are rather nice with a museum that contains a lot of old wagons, some historical write ups and a small chapel where weddings can take place. There is free internet only in the bar area of the restaurant. While it was a pleasant experience the price paid was far too much for the accommodations and food,

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple