We were highly disappointed by the service we received from Askari during our wedding weekend, for several reasons, including:
1. A month before our wedding, we discovered that Askari had overbooked the lodge in error, and they asked us to move our guests who'd booked 8mths ahead.
2. When some of our guests checked-in (from England) Askari told them they were not booked for the dates they had requested. Upon checking, it was found that Askari was wrong.
3. 2 of our guests (from New Zealand) had a bat in the roof of their room. Askari said they had removed it, but this was not true, and housekeeping swept all the Bat faeces into corners of the room. Extremely unhygienic!
4. It rained throughout our wedding day. I ordered cappucinos to be delivered to the bridal suite, and was told this was impossible. Also, the things I had requested (well in advance) to be in the room at 7:30am were not there, and I had to chase the staff myself.
5. The wedding co-ordinator served only 1 purpose on our wedding day, and that was to keep me dry before I entered the chapel. For the rest, he was nowhere to be seen throughout the ceremony and reception. We were extremely annoyed by this, as we had to co-ordinate everything by ourselves.
Overall, we were extremely disappointed by the service we received from Askari for our wedding and guests' accommodation. We had a beautiful day due to the help of friends/family and suppliers, but Askari did not play a role in this despite its hefty price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Askari Game Lodge & Spa is situated on the Plumari Africa Game Reserve in the Magaliesberg, just over an hour from Johannesburg or Pretoria and offers guests a memorable Big 5 wildlife experience within a malaria free environment. Plumari Africa Game Reserve is set within a pristine wilderness area of over 5000 hectares with natural African bushveld and an abundance of flora, fauna, birdlife and wildlife. Two game drives, each approximately 2 - 2,5 hours in duration, are scheduled daily. Elephant Experiences entails interaction with our elephants, which include a 'touch and feed' experience. The main lodge, which is in fact the old Bodenstein family farmhouse, overlooks the Elephant Dam and invites guests to take a step back in time while admiring South African decor pieces dating back to the 1800's. Slipper baths, a coal stove, wash stands, luggage chests, antique Oregon cupboards and tables are subtly placed within the luxury four-star surrounding, to emphasize the captivating history of the Magaliesberg area. Askari Lodge has one of the largest private collections of ox wagons, carts and other animal drawn vehicles from the period 1800 to 1900. A variety of stone and iron-age arte facts, items from the Boer War and San Bushmen rock carvings tell the history of the area, which is also known for the nearby Battle of Nooitgedacht. Examples are available in the museum and guided bush walks take guests through areas where many stone carvings can be found. In contrast with the rich Boere and Afrikaner history depicted by the main farmhouse decor, the Day Visitors Center is abundant with African symbology, rich earthy colours and unique African decor focal points. The two contrasting decor themes pay homage to the history while highlighting the significant influence of the indigenous African tribes of the area. Askari Game Lodge caters for romantic getaways, conferences, teambuilding initiatives, training courses and weddings in both the main lodge and Day Visitors Centre. Nature lovers and birding enthusiasts will find the experience most rewarding, while stressed city dwellers will leave feeling rejuvenated and well-rested. Askari Lodge - the legend lingers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Askari Game Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Askari Game Lodge & Spa South Africa/Hekpoort