“Rip-off Resort that should be AVOIDED”

L'esprit de Naiyang Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
United States
“Rip-off Resort that should be AVOIDED”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We checked into this hotel since it was close to the airport and we figured it would be convenient for our last two days on the island. First off, the standard rooms are about one star quality, not four star as advertised. There is no lift to the top floor and they are unwilling to assist you when you check in (our cab driver yelled for them when we arrived and no one got our bags). Our shower was cold, no bathtub, the porch door would not shut completely, just 11 channels on the tv (I wanted to watch the French Open final at a 4 star hotel and missed it), and the bed had just two flat pillows. We asked to be upgraded to a pool villa and they said the hotel was full, only to later ask for 2,000 Bhat for an "upgrade". I pointed out that the room was not as advertised but they did absolutely nothing to accommodate/rectify the situation. The hotel maybe had 5 guests the two nights we were there and it is clear why this is the case. The breakfast was stale and we noticed the same items the next day.
The beach nearby is absolutely gorgeous, but you have to walk through the forest and be back by 10pm.
AVOID this terrible hotel! It is also very overpriced and you can easily get a better place for half the price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cameron8819, Guest Relations Manager at L'esprit de Naiyang Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from L'esprit de Naiyang, Phuket. The customers 's feedback are always welcome and use to improve our service quality.
We investigate your case and a fact is that you booked the room type on the building through EXPEDIA which we have a clear description of the room and information of our hotel. The building has 3 floors, no elevator (we have put this information ) in all online travel agencies. Villas are located on the flat floor. You made a complaint 5 min after check in the room and asked for a upgrade. We are sorry that we do not have a free upgrade policy in order to response to the customer's complaint.
On the other hand, you misunderstood that there were only 5 customers in the hotel but actually other customers went outside for a day trip and came back in late evening.
Our hotel is located behind the National Park so it takes only 5 min walk to the beautiful Naiyang beach. In low season, we do service the front beach from 08.00 am - 8.00 pm. and high season froom 08.00 am to 10.00 pm. There is no electricity at the National Park so it is quite dark after 08.00 pm. We always advice the customers to bring a flashlight when they go to the beach.
Yours faithfully, Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a nice hotel to stay if you want to be close to the airport. It is quite remote so if you're looking for action, its probably not a good place. Only stayed a couple of nights but the service was great and staff was friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Manta888
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel near nai yang beach one of nicest on Phuket , big swimming pool,very friendly staff, excellent service.
I would recommend it to anyone visiting Phuket.
...............................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,............,......................................

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Petit B
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in L'esprit and received a free upgrade to a cottage. Very nice staff, quite room, spacious, with private small pool, and good breakfast. For lunch, dinner, I would recommend the nice restaurants along the beach. L'esprit is a short walk from the beach, and has 2 rather nice swimming pools. The airport is just a 10-15 minute taxi ride away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 100Kojan
Forster, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were travelling around Thailand and just before we had to check into this very substandard accommodation we checked the reviews again on trip advisor and noticed that 19 out of 20 had nothing good to say about it. We decided that we would still check in and judge for ourselves.

The staff were nice on arriving and asked if we would like to upgrade our room to the pool villa (we had a garden villa with a plunge pool) so we asked if we could see our rooms first and also the pool villa to compare.

On seeing our room and the plunge pool (an oversized unclean bathtub) where all of the wooden decking had rotted around the pool we asked to see the other rooms which were not much better either and we would have to pay 500bht p/night more. We decided to stay in the room we had and advised we would let them know about the upgrade in the morning. Us girls decided it wasn't worth the money to upgrade.

We had a swim in the pool where my friend cut her foot on a sharp raised tile so out we got and went to get ready to go out for dinner. I went in for a shower to find out we had no hot water so a cold one it was.

In the morning I spoke to some friends of mine who live in Thailand and we told them how bad the place was to the recommended the Dewa. We went for a swim in the pool in the morning while we decided what to do and the pool smelled like dirty pond water. My husband was the only one of us who went under the water and was violently ill the next day??

During the morning (while we making our booking to the Dewa) the receptionist and another man came to our room and went out of the pool (without asking etc). I was at my friends villa next door where she came to advise that the engineer said the decking was not safe and they would have to move me. I politely advised her that I made her aware of that on site when we checked in but at that time I had to pay to move.

The resort has no atmosphere, I don't mind peace and quite but this was dead silence.

When my husband spotted a snake (cobra) he was asked not to talk to the rest of the guests and let the staff know if he sees it again (it was near the pool).

The resort has not been looked after and needs a total uplift (minor and major repairs to the villas) including painting. They also need to keep the pool clean and filter the water (slimy and slippery wet area) The staff were rude and were talking about us behind our back (giggling and nodding our way etc).

If they continue with the rude housekeeping staff and the lack of maintenance this 'resort' will cease to exist.

I could continue with all the problems of this place but I think you get my impression by now.

NOT a nice place to stay at all! The worse place I have ever stayed at!

Room Tip: Do not stay there. That is the only advice I would give.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sharon B
Edinburgh, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here one night at the end of our holiday. We were staying on Ko Lanta but had an early flight home, too early to get off the island and make it to Phuket airport for our 5.45am flight. Nai Yang beach was recommended on the TA forums as an ideal location for the airport.

I can't recall exactly what we paid for our room as we 'packaged' it with our flight via Expedia. Admittedly it wasn't a lot - we didn't want to pay too much for a room we would be vacating at 3.30am. It was supposed to be on special offer at half price (should have realised!) but even half price didn't feel good value or quash our disappointment.

First off........This is NOT anywhere near the standard of the many 4 star hotels I have stayed in previously. It wasn't even close to a 3 star. At least the rooms which we stayed in (deluxe sky room) which are in the main block above reception where at best 2 star. Perhaps the pool villas are better but I would be surprised given the general standard in the rest of the hotel if they were significantly better in anything other than location by the pool.

The rooms are virtually all white and try to be boutique and modern in their style. I love this style but unfortunately it can't be done on the cheap and need constant maintenance (e.g. Touching up paintwork) and this was definitely lacking. The room was simply depressing. The balcony was bit much better - a couple of cheap plastic garden chairs and a massive air conditioning unit plonked bang in the middle. The door to the room had gaps all round and looked so flimsy I didn't feel particularly secure. Even putting my valuables I the safe didn't alleviate my concern as it was only screwed to a shelf in the wardrobe. The air con in the room was very effective but very noisy.

Bathroom was fine but the shower was cold. Didn't seem worth the hassle of calling to report.

We requested a 3am wake up call - as a back up to our phone alarm. Instead we got the call at 2am - not great when I had been struggling to get to sleep not least with the noisy air con, the noise from other guests and the planes. I worried that the calls were mixed up and perhaps someone else had booked a 2am call so called reception to check but got no apology.

And because the door to the room is flimsy and leads to an external balcony you will hear the planes all night. Which was surprising because when we sat on Nai Yang beach for dinner at sunset there appeared to be very few landing and taking off - so I guess Phuket gets a lot of nighttime flights.

When we began to bring our bags down the stairs on checkout the reception member of staff ran up the stairs and asked for our key to check the mini bar. Most hotels would trust guests to be honest on checkout so this felt really rude especially considering all there was in the mini bar was a few cans of soft drinks and beer. It wasn't like it had spirits or champagne. Plus they had our credit card copied at checkin for guarantee anyway.

We didn't sample breakfast but I think we're offered a packed breakfast at check in which we declined. The breakfast area looked depressing.....a bit like a holiday camp or cheap canteen.

I would not recommend this hotel to disabled or those who have difficulty walking. There are lots of stairs including a large and steep staircase up to reception from where our taxi dropped us off and as we were on the top floor about 3 double flights to our room. There is no lift although we were assisted with our luggage up to the rooms so it didn't cause us any issues for us personally.

The taxi ride to the airport is less than 5 mins (at least it was at the time we travelled) and you just have to accept you will be ripped off with 500THB fixed fare. We were told when booking the taxi at reception that it would take a lot longer than it did....probably because of the price.

The barge crossing to access the beach is well documented in other reviews so was not unexpected and although the walk to the restaurants is not far I didn't feel particularly safe in the dark (even with my husband) as there were teenagers hanging about and it sounded like they were trying to get our attention whistling and calling.

I thought it would be fine for our purposes but had I known the hotel and rooms were of 2 star standard I would never have booked it. Would not return...obviously!!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Troubleonline
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

When arriving at L'ESPRIT we were greeted friendly with a glass of juice and they made up the room nicely for us.

PROS:
On second floor in case of tsunami
Nice pool but quite shallow
Friendly reception
CONS:
Breakfast;
Small variety, only until 10am,no aircon
Access to beach only available till 10pm because of Creek that can only be crossed by wooden raft.

Our Room;
towels and slippers warn beyond acceptable standard
Toilet got blocked, waited 1hr to fix
Shower switches between hot and cold the whole time. Only one setting
Water pressure varies constantly
Walls dirty and marked
Ceiling stained by water
Outside plastic chairs dirty and stained
Safe not attached to wall, easy to remove
Wooden Door damaged
The list goes on

Find another hotel at the same price and you won't be as dissatisfied as we were.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Proud Phuket Hotel
#5 of 9 in Nai Yang
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach
Dewa Phuket Resort Nai Yang Beach

Been to L'esprit de Naiyang Resort? Share your experiences!