“Good location but very basic, a bit smelly and damp”

Ruan Mai Naiyang Beach
Ranked #17 of 22 Nai Yang B&B and Inns
“Good location but very basic, a bit smelly and damp”
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

We arrived at 2am after travelling from the UK, so we just wanted somewhere to stay for the night. It costs 400 baht for a taxi from the airport and takes about 5 mins. It is close to the airport and would be ok if location was the only thing you were interested in. After seemingly waking up the owner who greeted us in her pyjamas we were given a key and directed down a little drive way towards where our room was. We dragged our suitcases and found the room before entering a slightly damp and smelly atmosphere. We also met the friendly gecko's we would be spending the night with. In the defence of the hotel it is a cheap(ish) one, and we got the impression it had been raining all day but you expect a certain standard of cleanliness. Shower was basic but did the job. We got out of there the next morning sharpish and made our way back to airport to get our next flight to Samui!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Open your mind and you won't be disappointed.

It's small quaint but cosy and not that bad for the price (less than £20).

We stayed in a Bamboo Cottage and its a small bamboo room with a mosquito netting, mattress on the floor and a door down to your own toilet. There is also a fan.

I personally found it difficult to sleep as I'm 6ft plus and the normal double size I need to hang my feet over the edge which I couldn't do because of the netting.

I did appreciate that it was cheap, clean and cheerful and that the cottages were extremely well built.

I would probably not return again but I certainly would not warn people away.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Currier14
Bansko
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Quinn's review tempted me to go for one of the bamboo huts. They are very basic - but that was to be expected. To be so close to the beach has something special. And the Ruan Mai certainly makes you pay for this privilege.

They claimed to have WiFi everywhere - even when I specifically asked at the reception upon arrival. But when I unpacked my ultrabook there was absolutely none - nowhere. After I complained the lady told me that her husband would look into this in the evening after he returned. And he did. He got a router from somewhere and stuck it on a long bamboo pole. So, the internet got started. It did not work constantly but at least from time to time.

What surprised me a little was that at that price no one came to clean my hut or change towels. I was ready to stay there for a week but after two nights decided to move on.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Banskali
Crete, Greece
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed one night in a beach hut, and felt super happy. The huts are marvels of bamboo craftsmanship, and the landscaping is neat and luscious. The huts are at the far end of the beach, away from tourists and near the national park. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dewa Phuket Resort Nai Yang Beach
Rimlay Bungalow
Rimlay Bungalow
#6 of 19 in Nai Yang

Been to Ruan Mai Naiyang Beach? Share your experiences!