“Lots of potential, and a little more customer service would make this a great hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Slate

The Slate
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

First, I want to say that this is a beautiful hotel. The details in the design throughout the hotel and in the rooms are worth the visit in themselves. It is obvious that the hotel invested a lot in the architecture of the hotel. I just hope the management can spend the same effort in training their staff more in customer service to fully realize the potential of this property.

My wife and I got married last weekend in the south of Phuket. After a few days of celebrating there, we decided to move with our guests to the Indigo Pearl to experience the other side of Phuket. To that point, everything in our destination wedding was perfect. However, the check-in experience at the Indigo Pearl was one of the worst I have ever experienced (and I am a frequent global business traveler).

My main issue is how they treated my wife's grandmother during the check-in process. One of the main reasons we chose the Indigo Pearl for the second half of our wedding was because it is close to the airport. On the day we and our wedding guests checked in, my new in-laws and my wife's grandmother were scheduled to fly home in the evening. We thought they could drop their bags off in our room and then we could go have a final dinner together before their flight. However, when we were checking in, the lady at the front desk told us that non-registered guests were not allowed to be at the hotel. I tried to explain the situation and she said there was nothing she could do. My wife's grandmother is over 80 years old and it was a 90+ degree day and the lobby has no air conditioning.

I asked to see a manager and it took a very long time before someone could speak to me. During this time, my wife's grandmother was not feeling well due to the heat and had to lie down on the couch in the lobby. Finally, a gentleman who said he was the manager came to meet me. Unfortunately, he also told me that there was nothing they could do and non-registered guests were not allowed in the hotel. His English was not good, and it felt like he was asking our entire group to leave the hotel. At this point, my wife started to get worried and started to go online to look at other local hotels for us and our guests even though we had already paid for all of our nights at the Indigo through online reservations.

Finally, I was able to get ahold of the manager's supervisor who finally let us check in and allowed my wife's grandmother to come to our room to rest. The whole process took almost 2 hours and there were no other guests besides our group in the lobby.

Even after this terrible ordeal, I do not blame the people at the front desk as they were probably just following their training from the hotel. However, I think that management needs to consider how to handle these types of situations better by training their staff to offer solutions instead of making their guests feel like they are not welcome.

Overall, the hotel has all of the hardware to be a great place, but I hope that the management can invest to improve the customer service so that their guests can feel more welcome. Part of this training should also be invested in language. We had mainly native English speakers, but also Chinese and Japanese speakers in our wedding group, but I still felt that there were a struggle to communicate with front desk staff.

The management should invest more to support the front desk operations, as I still believe this property has the potential to be a great hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jeff O
EXECTeam, Management Team at The Slate, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Jeff O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We are very disappointed that you were unhappy with your experiences at our Resort. At Indigo Pearl , we continually strive to meet or exceed our guest’s expectations. I am very sorry that we failed to deliver in the welcoming and most important part of the start of your stay. Our heartfelt apologies on the way this was handled and we will be speaking with the team to review our policies, procedures and training , We have a new management team in place and will rectify these issues ASAP especially sorry as this was a very special time for you and your new wife and family. We truly value guest feedback and very sorry we missed the opportunity make your time with us a great one.

Although I cannot take away your experience with us, I would very much like to speak with you personally or email so that we can address your concerns directly. At your convenience, please feel free to contact me at patrick@indigo-pearl.com

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

It was a wonderful place to stay. The place is well managed and very smiling and helpful staff who take care right from the airport arrival to departure. Lots of food varieties and beverages. Several types of pools for family. Wonderful room type and design. Safety and security was excellent. Tin mine concept can be seen in everything and everywhere which is awesome. Ms.Lalida the event manager organized our week long event with care and exceeded our expectations. The conference rooms were adequate with pa systems. Private beach access was amazing. Overall a wonderful place that I would go again and again for a getaway. .way to Indigo Pearl.
JP.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank J J
Dear JJ,

First of all , Thank you for holding your event with us and taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor!

Our team would like to Thank you for the kind comments that you made about the service that they provided to you and your group during your recent conference at our Resort. Our sales, F&B all of our team strive to create memories for every guest and they are thrilled that they have achieved that goal with you the entire team were thrilled to see your review and kind words about the resort! Great to See Khun Lalida mentioned again and she continues to impress our guests!!

The best compliment to our team can be a heartfelt review such as yours and we are so happy you had such a great stay at Indigo Pearl please let us know when you are planning your next trip!(hopefully a vacation next time!)

Thanks so much for staying with us – we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and hope for a longer vacation! Please drop us a not on your return.

Warm Regards,

South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

No hyperbole, best hotel I've ever stayed in.

My wife and I stayed for six nights as part of our honeymoon. From the minute you arrive at the hotel you know you are somewhere special. The lobby is creative, with sculpture, paintings and some clever wrought iron chandeliers, but also perfectly comfortable day beds to relax on whilst having your check-in.

Escorted to our room by golf cart, shown several things along the way (beach club access, pool(s), restaurants etc. The room is fantastic. Great amount of space, and very comfortable bed, covered in petals, and with a flower arrangement for our honeymoon. Walk in Robe to store our cases and clothes, which kept the main room tidy. Huge bathroom with great shower, his and hers basins (complete with the coolest tapware in hospitality) and separate toilet. The tub is on the balcony which suited us to a tee, but you'd definitely want to drop the blinds.

Nightly turndown service was always completed, with water by the bed, basin, and extra on a bench, with the blinds drawn. We were in Block Q, which is extremely convenient to the Adults Only pool with a swim up bar. Never too busy, always get a deck chair, and always had attentive service. As soon as I'd collected towels there would be iced water delivered to the chairs for us.

The Sunday Brunch deserves its own review, but it is one of the greatest meals out I've had. Sumptuous array of food from around the world, and all done to the highest degree of quality. Sashimi sliced in front of you, your choice of tuna or snapper to be chargrilled, or if you're deprived of meat, the largest beef steaks I've probably ever seen. Jamon sliced from the whole leg, and a variety of other meats and cheeses. Two separate cocktail stations preparing bespoke cocktails. I could go on and on.

The Tongkah Bar was terrific, but was disappointing that more people didn't visit, as it would have increased the atmosphere a bit. The design touches around the hotel are everywhere. Every time you thought you had seen it all you saw something new. The flow from wooden floorboards in the bedroom to polished concrete in the bathroom with touches of tin, glass and painted timber was perfect; so well designed. We want it to be our Master Bedroom at home!

We ate at Black Ginger, and I've provided a separate review. The shuttle in to Phuket Town was handy, and we wandered around for a few hours before getting picked up again. The airport transfer was also quick and easy (and a honeymoon freebie, along with a 50% off massage, and a bottle of bubbles in the room.)

Pretty much a perfect stay, can't think of anything else that could be improved. The choice to wander out the gate and have a cheeky curry and beer on the beach, or stay within the gates and be treated like a star is brilliant. An incredibly good value hotel, but I'm sure prices shoot up (deservedly) in the high season.

Room Tip: We were in Block Q - near the Adult's Pool, also close walk to the beach, and not far from the l...
1 Thank jmadl
Dear jmadi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort here on Tripadvisor.

Our team would like to thank you for the very kind comments that you made about the service, DESIGN, the attention to details on the touches, grounds, pools, beach We are now a new Member of DESIGN HOTELS World Wide!

It was great to read about the service that the team provided for you during your holiday at our Resort. Our colleagues strive to create memories for every guest and they are thrilled that they have achieved that goal with you, The best compliment to our team could be your detailed review of us and hearing how much you both enjoyed your visit to Phuket!! The Chefs and F&B Team are also very proud to see the positive food And service comments from Brunch, TTs and Black Ginger!!

Thank you so much for staying with us – we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We are currently guests in the hotel, the architecture is stunning, there are surprises everywhere it really is a cornucopia of interesting things. At times I feel that the theme is a bit over the top which makes it less interesting somewhat. I really don't see the need to carry on the theme to the cutlery which is heavy and cumbersome to the toilet roll holders which look like large bolts attention to detail is everything but this is theme in the extreme! The rooms are lovely but access to the rooms are a little to much like concrete and breeze block multi story flat like structures , a little depressing, sorry I cannot describe this more eloquently. It is a wee bit overkill for me but I am no expert in matters of interior design or architecture so please this is purely a personal opinion.

More positive things, I feel are the situation of the hotel is ideal to give the guests the best in every sense as just outside the hotel there is a small village with ATM facilities if you need them, mini marts for essentials that you always seem to forget to bring and some really good local restaurants which gives you great choice.

Love the adult swim up bar for cocktails especially at happy hour, intended to go to Rivet tonight but ended up at a restaurant on the beach instead so Rivet tomorrow for sure. Rebar is a really nice bar with some amazing structural pieces. Tin mine for breakfast has plenty of choice all of the usual stuff, egg station, pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit, pastries, Asian selection etc etc pretty much something for everyone, I particularly like the cheese and charcuterie. I am sorry but mass catering is not really my cup of tea but also appreciate that to cater for for the masses this is essential, I just dislike this kind of buffet set up but also appreciate that it suits a lot of people very well given the choice and volume of food available. Not for me though but that is a very personal thing.

Côtemar definitely needs a bit of a makeover, the loungers are tired , and so it would seem are the staff ! The place generally needs a bit of a tidy up. I was shocked to see that the plastic side tables for drinks and things look like the could do with a good scrub never mind anything else, everything just need a bit of TLC, it looks and is shabby. What is lovely though is the iced water served whenever you like and ice lollipops and fresh fruit sticks ... A lovely touch, thank you.

I personally feel the thing that makes one hotel stand out from another is the service and if I am completely honest the service is ok, not good or bad and certainly not exceptional so I simply cannot rate this as a 5 star hotel, maybe 5 star tourist at best. There are however a few members of staff who do deliver exceptional service, honey who picked us up at the airport and who made the transfer and check in seamless, it was a lovely touch to have cold towels and cold water in the car. Pooh at the beach today is another excitingly member of staff, interesting, engaging fun, got interaction with guests just right , a lovely Russian girl from reception who took us to the adult pool when we got lost and a delightful French girl who served us there, we had some fun and at least we felt like she was interested to chat with us unlike the hum drum attitude of some of the other staff, this surprised me as in Thailand the land of smiles I don't think on any other visit we have always met lovely smiley happy people in any other hotel we have visited. We have even encountered quite aggressive hand signals from a member of staff to pass plates over for collection, I am sorry but this actually made me a little angry and totally not responsive at all, I am a hotel guest and do not respond to aggressive hand signals but ask me politely and would normally do anything to help the people waiting on us.

I have particularly noticed the complete lack of management interaction with guests, in fact I have not come across any managers yet ... Unusual even in a large establishment .

All in all good hotel, great location, would I come back? Probably not I am spending the time here looking forward to visiting my next hotel which I know is really outstanding in every way as I have been before and really cannot wait to go back. What makes me want to go back .... Service all the way, attention to detail and people who you feel really go the extra mile to make your holiday special, not really got that vibe in Indigo pearl sadly. Great location though.

2 Thank Michelle M
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your candid feedback on your stay at our Resort, both positive and where we need to improve. We are glad that overall you are having an enjoyable stay in Phuket.

Our heartfelt apologies for the disappointment that you had experienced with regards to Cotemer and the Design and structure We are a unique resort also a member of Design Hotels who have different style hotels and resorts that may or may not be to everyone’s taste as you have mentioned. Surprised to hear you have not seen more of our management team during your stay with us We have a wide mix of both Thai and Expat managers that spend a majority of their day on the floor, However we will certainly look into this. I believe the Rivet team with Khun Sao met you recently and hope that was more the experience you were anticipating and We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your concerns have been addressed with respective managers in order for us to improve and maintain the level of service standards and product provided to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope the room upgrade is to your satisfaction and apologize there was an issue with the AC unit not chilling well enough.

If there is anything else we can do during your stay please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warm Regards,

Stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Indigo Pearl is without doubt the most amazing hotel we have ever been to. There really are no words to describe this place so I am not going to try too hard - go and see for yourself!!! One thing I will say, if you appreciate art and design, this is definitely the place for you. There are so many unique structures, architecture, wall arts, sculptures, etc. Visually, it is quite overwhelming!! I couldn't stop taking pictures! But to be honest, pictures do not capture the essence of the Indigo Pearl. It isn't just about how it looks, it's how you feel. It really is a special place!

We stayed in a Private Pool Pavilion (pictured), which we can highly recommend. Again, the design of the room is amazing with lots of special features - they really have thought of everything! It is also huge! You get your own little private garden to the back, lovely! Our room was right near the beach entrance which was very convenient.

We tried both Rivet and Black Ginger - both are very special and the food quality was second to none! We tried the 'Hot Rocks' at Rivet which was a nice experience. I wish we had gone on a different night as it was a little quiet while we were there - it was just us and one other couple. I think the atmosphere would be much better if it was full. A little pricey but only because we were used to the prices of the restaurants on the beach - you would pay a similar price at a good restaurant back home. Black Ginger was amazing - food, atmosphere, setting - just perfect! You can also visit Black Ginger on a lower budget - the menu caters for all.

Use the facilities, they're top notch! Take advantage of everything on offer while you are there. We went on a morning bike ride to explore the surrounding area with a guide - we went on the roads and also through the national park (pictured). This was free one morning a week! The free activity changes on a daily basis - they are advertised on boards outside the gym entrance, make sure you take a look. The gym was great, it has everything! Even has a studio at the back with boxing equipment. We also used the showers here on out last day before we left as we had a late flight...

There are lots of local beach restaurants - our favourite being Fiesta :) lovely food, great prices, and the manager was such a nice guy! We also liked Baan Ra Tree, Octopus, and Phen's! Try all of them, the food and variety are great! We also loved Nai Yang Coffee and Meal - best coffee/ice coffee ever! They now have a new beach front location, make sure you check them out!

Opposite Fiesta is a great tailor, Mr Sam! (pictured) The shop is called 'Indigo Fashion Tailor'. My partner had 2 pairs of trousers made and a waistcoat and they were absolutely perfect. Fabulous quality and a fraction of the price you would pay back home! Mr Sam is also lovely to deal with, we never felt pressured or mivered. You can take your time, change your mind and it really isn't a problem, he's happy to help! There are a number of tailor's along the road as you leave Indigo Pearl - choose Mr Sam! You will not be disappointed! :)

While we were relaxing on the Indigo Pearl Beach area, we saw a local walking down the beach carrying a BBQ and a huge basket full of corn on the cob - we decided to give it a go and it was one of the best decisions we made! It was so nice! Seasoned and cooked to perfection on the beach in front of your eyes, courtesy of a lovely gentleman called Jack! (pictured) All he wanted was 50 baht - we paid him double and he was so happy and very thankful! Such a lovely man :) do not be scared to give this a go - you really will be pleasantly surprised. Also - if you think something is extremely cheap, pay more! 50 baht is so much more to the locals than it is to us and they are very appreciative.

Make sure you visit The Beach Club. This is great place to relax with a cocktail watching the sunset. There is always a tan coloured dog there - she's absolutely lovely! A bit podgy :) and very soft natured (pictured). Please, if you see her, look after her and give her some love! And some food! ;) The staff at the Beach Club are nice enough to feed her left overs and let her into the bar.

I could go on forever about this place but I'd only be repeating what other reviewers have already said. For us, it was epic. The people, the place, the local village - everything! Go to the Indigo Pearl!!! :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank XxDonzxX
EXECTeam, Management Team at The Slate, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear XxDonzxX,

Greetings from Phuket and Thank you so much for reviewing us here @ Indigo Pearl , it was great to see such a detailed review of our team, resort and facilities. Love to hear about the design and the attention to detail in the concept of the property,I was also very nice to see your comments on our Private pool villas, the gardens and the overall resort grounds.

On the facilities, bikes, gym, beach just to mention a few of our activities it was great to hear that you used so many of teh services and the team was service oriented and able to match activities to your liking!

The F&B team and chefs are delighted to hear that the Black Ginger and Rivet outlets recieved Dear XxDonzxX,

Greetings from Phuket and Thank you so much for reviewing us here @ Indigo Pearl , it was great to see such a detailed review of our team, resort and facilities. Love to hear about the design and the attention to detail in the concept of the property, I was also very nice to see your comments on our Private pool villas, the gardens and the overall resort grounds.

On the facilities, bikes, gym, beach just to mention a few of our activities it was great to hear that you used so many of the services and the team was service oriented and able to match activities to your liking!

The F&B team and chefs are delighted to hear that the Black Ginger and Rivet outlets received such praise on the service food and the over all team here at the resort!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Indigo Pearl and please drop us a quick note prior to your next visit!

Spring Lake, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have spent the holiday with my family in there. It's so great with us. The room is cosy and comfortable as my house, the staff is friendly and good ability. We had the dinner for my sister's birthday in the retaurant, food is delicous.

Thanks for everything. We hope to comeback this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica N
EXECTeam, Management Team at The Slate, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Jessica N,

Greetings from Phuket and hoping you had a great return trip home! Thank you for your very positive review on our resort the team is excited to hear that you enjoyed the service, hospitality and comfort of the rooms. Great to also see you and your family enjoyed your sisters birthday with us , the F&B team and the Culinary brigade was very happy to see you mentioning them and the high quality of the food!

Hoping to see you here again in Sunny Phuket!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Indigo Pearl Resort in Phuket - Thailand.... wow what an amazing resort, great staff and luxurious bedroom!

We went over for an 9 day escape, and discovered heaps, My Holiday Centre organised everything so well, we got a $500 credit to spend at the hotel and they sent us to a cooking school - I ate more than I cooked. My Holiday Centre was unreal, the consultant {Tom} was awesome and gave us lots of hints on things to do. I've been to Thailand lots but still took their advice and discovered some fun things to do.... highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glen A
EXECTeam, Management Team at The Slate, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear GlenA,

Hoping you had a safe and pleasant trip home! Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback for us here @ Indigo Pearl! We strive to make guest memories and exceed expectations for all of our guests.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the Staff , resort and your overall stay here in Phuket, also nice to hear on our famous Moos Kitchen Thai cooking school, Chef Anne will be so happy to see this!

Warm regards from sunny Phuket

Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,014 reviews

Been to The Slate? Share your experiences!