The Slate
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
T-Villa Resort(Nai Yang)
3,884 results
All reviewsblack gingertin mineindigo pearladult poolsd buk suitefamily poolbeach clubtin miningcoqoon spapearl bed suiteswim up barmoo's kitchencooking classtongkah tin syndicateindustrial designour honeymoontennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My partner and I stayed at The Indigo Pearl at the end of July 2010. When we first arrived we were ushered to some comfy chairs and given cold towels and complimentary iced tea. We arrived an hour early for check in so we went and had some lunch in the Tin Mine restaurant which is right next to the lobby. The food is delicious serving Thai dishes and international. it isn't too expensive either for a 5* hotel. When we checked in we got upgraded to a Plantation Villa. The villa was beautiful. It had an outdoor shower, a large private terrace area and a huge bed! There was also a massive bathroom with his and hers sinks and a massive walk in shower. The pools around the hotel were beautiful and we spent most of our time in the adult only pool near the beach end of the hotel. There was also a bar with a pool and snooker table which were free to use. The WiFi internet was also free to use in the lobby, bar and Tin Mine restaurant. The resort is huge but still feels very intimate.

The only negative I would say is about the area rather than the hotel itself. There isn't much to do outside the hotel, a few small bars, restaurants, hair and beauty salons but thats about it. We went in monsoon season so when it rained there wasn't anywhere to go shopping or to look around. It was a good hour and a half to get to Patong and a good 45 mins in a taxi to get to Phuket Town. I would still go back and stay at the Indigo Pearl if I visited Phuket again but we would probably look into going not in rainy season and maybe booking a few more excursions just to keep us busy.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicole88
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I stayed at Indigo Pearl with my hubby for 4 days, and we had an unforgettable time there. Everything was clean and nice. The staff were all helpful, friendly and efficient. The food was good, but it would have been much better if the breakfast menu had been changed every two days. Eating the same thing every morning was quite boring. I personally like the unique thematic interior design of the resort, well not just interior design but down to small little things like cutlery. The swimming pool for adults with a swim-up bar is one of our favorite places to laze around and relax. The serene Nai Yang beach was also very enjoyable, especially if you're looking for a relaxed and peaceful holidays.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beejay235
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We had decided on a fly and flop holiday this summer but couldn't decide on a location. I had been searching the web and my wife who had been checking my browsing (as wifes do!!), saw the Indigo Pearl and really liked the look of it, you have to admit the web site looks really good. We have been to Thiland a number of times and last visited Phuket about four years ago when we stayed at the Kata Thani (I did post a review on this hotel but for some reason it's disappeared along with several other reviews) After checking the reviews of the Indigo Pearl on TA, our fate was pretty much sealed and a few weeks later we arrived.
On arrival at the airport we had to search for our driver, a bit disappointing when represenativies from all the other hotels were lined up and waiting for their guests.
Anyway a short ten minute transfer by private car and we arrived at the hotel. A short gated drive leads to the front of the hotel which is neither impressive or inspiring. There was no one to greet us on arrival and we were directed inside by the bell boy.
The reception is a large open air space, furnished with large sofas and looks for want of a better word, cool. There are two desks and no clear indication of which one is for new arrivals. (It is the far one on the right hand side) Check in takes quite a while but during this process drinks and cool face cloths arrived. Just beyond the reception desk is the library which has four computers for guests use. Throughout our stay these were in great demand so it's probably best to take your own lap top, which seems to work best in the free wifi reception area as opposed to inside the library. Before being taken to our room we were taken to identify our cases, not too difficult as we were the only people to have arrived, but better to be safe than sorry. After a few minutes walk we were taken to our room, our lugage arrived later in a chauffer driven golf buggy. There is quite a lot written about the rooms in other reviews, but I'll be honest it wasn't as good as I was expecting and I've stayed in much better, so I was a little dissapointed. There is the tin mine theme which the hotel is modelled on, but this seems confined to the bathrooms which are large and spacious. Although our shower door didn't fit flush so water tended to leak out. The rest of the rooms and bedrooms are furnished in more traditional wooden furniture. Our room had the most enourmous freestanding TV unit I have ever seen. It was wooden construction mounted on wheels that look like they have been stolen from an hospital bed. On top of this is a large old style TV. Don't get me wrong I've not come on holiday to watch TV, but in a hotel of this standard I would expect LCD TV's. Surprisingly there was nothing inside the TV cabinet. This mystery was solved ten minutes later when room service rang to see if we wanted a DVD player. I thought this was a bit odd, and it's not like we didn't have the room for a DVD player. How would we watch the hotels supply of pirate DVD's, which are available from the reception desk which you check in at.
The hotel has three pools the family pool is large with a few water features. Towels are availble form the pool attendants who serve iced water and fruit throughout the day. This service is also provided at the other pools and the beach. Depending how busy they are the attendants will also lay your towels out for you. There is a lot of rust in this pool which is caused by the metal reinforcing which is coroding underneath the tiles. A number of people complained about their clothes being stained and I would advise you to wear dark coloured swimwear in this pool. There were also a couple of areas around the pool where corners had fallen off, so there were some sharp edges, so if you have young children you need to watch out for these. There is a small toddlers pool at the sideof this, I was surprised this was not fitted with a sun canopy as there is no shade over this pool at all.
The accomodation adjacent to this pool was under renovation. When I say renovation I don't mean the interior designers are moving ornaments and hanging pictures. I mean workmen are using power tools throughout the day, to provide an authentic tin mine sound. I didn't particulalry mind this as hotels have to carry out work at some point and this is low season, however it would have been nice to know in advance.
The other pools are reserved for adults and adult plus children over fourteen. These are much smaller pools and the number of sun loungers around these is very limited. We didn't have a problem getting a sun lounger around the pools at any time, but I would imagine in peak season it might be a bit more difficult.
Around the hotel there is a lot of lush and dense planting (always with very pleasant gardeners attending them) interspaced with sculptures and water features. The hotel does have a bit of a confusing layout and the direction signs are not always clear, so initially and quite often you end up wandering around.
The gym is well equipped it is split into two parts, the first section has the cardio equipment consisting of treadmills, steppers and a rowing machine, there are also TV's as well. There are a selection of free weights which go up to 50lb and a number of weight machines. Towels and drinks are availble at the desk. The second part of the gym is the same sized space but it is used for the early morning classes. There is also a table tennis table in this room. Both halves are linked by a corridor with male and female changing rooms equipped with showere and lockers. Outside are a range of mountain bikes availbe free of charge for an hour. Check the bikes thouroughly before using them as some have very rusty components, including chains, derailers and brakes. At the back of the gym are two tennis courts, the surface of one was particulalry poor, but no one else played tennis while we were there.
There are also some classes you can book at the gym, but they are very expensive.
The hotel has two access points to the beach the main one closes at 2030 and the second one near the dive centre is open 24 hours a day. The dive centre is well equipped and staffed, again though it's off season, so it's a 50 minute drive to the pier as diving isn't done around the hotels shore line.
When we first arrived we went for a walk to the beach and left via the second exit. At this point there is no clear indication which part of the beach is for hotel guests or how to get there. This gate leads to the road which is just over a cars width wide and in parts unsurfaced. On either side of the road are rows of shops, restaurants, massage shops and bars (if your room is at this side of the hotel, you can hear the music and noise form these places in your room up to about 0300 except on Sunday when it's only up to about 2300)
We walked onto the beach, which is quite wide, but were disappointed to find it covered in rubbish. Some of this is brought in by the tide, but a lot is form the adjacent premises.
The following days we used the first exit onto the beach. At this point are ladies and gentlemans toilets, gentleman please be careful when using the urinal because if anyone else walks in the door opens immediately onto this anyone walking past at that point can see you having a p. Again you cross the road and onto the hotels section of the beach. These is an area about 200 m x 50 m with four rows of sunbeds. Non motorised water sports are available here, the first hour is free and then after that it's about £5 an hour. This area is raked and cleaned each day. The quality of the beach improved during our stay due to a change in tide. However the sea itself although shallow was not clear and is not suitable for snorkelling at this time of year. Unfortunatley it was also jelly fish season and quite a few of these kept get washed up and a few people got stung while swimming. The beach attendants have solution to deal with the stings. We walked to the right hand side of the beach, where a hotel is under construction. Just before this is a beach front hotel, well I say beach by this point the beach as degenerated into a swamp which is covered in litter including old motorcycles.
We also walked to the left of the beach, the waves are a bit rougher here and it isn't suitable for swimming due to strong currents. The beach slopes quite sharply as well due to the rough waves. We walked as far as we could on this stretch of beach until our pah was blocked by a stream flowing into the sea. Its not particulalry wide or deep but the water was filthy although it didn't smell, but I wasn't going to risk walking through it. In the wooded area between this stretch of beach and the road we saw some dubious activity taking place with local young Thais. It put us off walking in this area again. I spoke to another couple who said they had come across discarded syringess on this stretch of beach, so I would be careful if walking without shoes.
Also the airport runway is literally round the corner on this stretch of beach, so you get to see as well as hear all the aircraft taking off and flying past the beach. So in terms of quality of the sand, sea and immediate enviroment of the beach I've stayed in much better areas. If this is your primary reason for a holiday I would consider your options carefully before booking this resort. I'm sure in high season the sea quality is much better, but then I expect the beach will be even more crowded. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the sandflies. I don't usually get bitten by these, but did quite a few time this year. However, my wife ended up with over 80 bites at one point. A lot of people were very badly bitten, the insect repellants we tried didn't work, I'd advise you to take a few different ones to try and some afterbite cream.
The hotel has a range of restaurants which are beautifully furnished and presented. The food is of an excellent standard although not always cooked to your request. The prices are expensive at just over £100 for a main course with soft drinks for two in the grill.
Breakfast is served in the Tin Mine, it's the usual international stuff, nothing to wite home about. Service was always good and plates were cleared away in record time. We only had one slightly negative experience here, when we went to breakfast a bit later, round about 0930. It was very busy and seemed short staffed.
We also used room service a couple of times and again found this quick with good quality food. So overall the food at the hotel is good but expensive.
There are plentiful number of restaurants outside the hotel which offer similar food, a meal of fresh sea food with drinks costs around £10 for two. We had a meal at every restaurant outside the hotel during our stay and found they were all good and offered simialr food apart form Nai Yang Seafood. The food and service was particulalry bad at this restaurant and from speaking to a few other people they had also experienced similar problems. We particulalay enjoyed the Octupus and the Green Leaves? for pizza.
The hotel is in a fairly remote location, if this is your first visit and you want to explore the island it will work out quite expensive. A return trip to Phuket or Patong is about £40 in a taxi and there isn't much room for negotiation on the prices. Like wise if you are taking any organised trips you have to start at daft o'clock because you are so much further away than anyone else form the piers etc. So if you are choosing this as a base to explore the island, I would consider other options.
The hotel as a number of intersting architecural points and some good areas for taking photographs. But I don't think this is reason enough to visit this hotel, if it's part of a longer trip and you're only staying here for four or five days then it's OK as a rest stop but I would not book this hotel as a sole destination for a longer holiday.
Also if you are looking for a honeymoon location or romantic break, have a really good look round, there are some fantastic and exclusive resorts in Thailand, this just isn't one of them.
That may seem a bit harsh but the service in the hotel and the quality of fixtures and fittings was a bit hit and miss, so a lack of consistencey in standards for us means it isn't a five star hotel. It has some five star attributes but the immediate surrondings and poor beach let the hotel down. So who is this hotel for, well 500 positive reviewers on Trip Advisor for a start, but it's not for us.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank sandinmyshoe
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We visited Indigo Pearl in March.....the fact I am writing a review now illustrates how good it was, as I felt it only fair to add my praise to that of the majority of visitors who have reported on Trip Advisor.As a family we travel extensively,like the best things in life and are generally very fussy.My husband is a french restaurateur based in London,so we could be viewed as difficult to impress.I was slightly worried that I had not made the right choice when I noted a few rather begrudging reviews suggesting 'the manager kept his trip advisor ratings high' but felt reassured by the majority of excellent reviews which I can now validate.This resort is excellent.Beautiful surroundings,space, and even when the resort was full at Easter weekend no feeling of being in a large resort.We had Pearl suites for our son and his girlfriend,and same for our daug hter..we had a Pearl pavillion which was similarly stunning with a small pool.Excellent food/service beautiful beach behind...which gave an excellent combination of luxury spa in hotel or beach massage,delicious restaurant food or a simple red snapper on the beach.This hotel is independently owned,largely french management..(excellent) with plans, we understand to upgrade standard rooms this year.We intend to return and would HIGHLY recommend it.The details of decor,pools etc previously described are all true!!!!......

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gd2London
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Indigo Pearl was recommended to us by our friends, and we're so glad they did. This place is amazing. You arrive at a beautiful open air lobby, and sit on these huge day beds. While you're trying to take it all in, you're brought two delicious drinks while the staff check you in. After being taken to our gorgeous Pearl Suite, and trying to take it all in, we headed off to discover the resort and Nai Yang beach.

The pools are fantastic (our favourite was the main pool). If Indigo Pearl was booked out at the time we were there, we had no clue as it's so peaceful and, besides at breakfast time, you only see a handful of people or none at all when walking around. Speaking of breakfast, the buffet is so delicious. If you'd like a poached egg and they don't have them, you can request it. The staff at Indigo are so kind and helpful. I lost a personal item and the staff were so helpful in helping me - even after we got back home to Australia.

Definitely head to ReBar for drinks. We wish we had gone sooner than we did. It such a relaxed atmosphere, and the pillows on the hill are a great spot to have a drink while the sun goes down. We didn't make it to Rivet, but we had dinner at Black Ginger. Truly a 5 star experience, with 5 star food. We can't say enough about the fantastic quality of food at Indigo Pearl.

Make sure you go for a walk and discover all the hidden treats at Indigo Pearl. Have a game of pool at Tongkha Tin, and even take home a piece of the resort from their beautiful store. There are so many restaurants just outside the resort on Nai Yang beach to head to, and great spots for massages as well - all just a few steps from your room.

We love Indigo Pearl and can't wait to go back. There's so much to say about this place - too much to put in a review. If you'd like to know anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple