“Great bunch of staff and perfect location”

Rattana Beach Hotel
Ranked #107 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 2 September 2011

For the price and how close it is to the beach it's a perfect place to stay while in Karon Beach, save your money and stay here and spend that out on tours. It's got everything you need nearby and the staff were very friendly. But make sure you head over to Tod's Tours just across the road they always offered me the best deal.

The pool is great as most other places even close to this price range don't have a pool, also a number of similar sized properties don't have a lift but this hotel does. I had no problems with staff or found anything went missing, my only complaint is that it didn't have a laptop or small safe in the room. But as i said I had no issues and there is a very heavy duty door/lock on your room and camera's in the hall way.

As for any issues with the hotel it's common for any slightly older property to have a few minor issues, but overall the staff were amazing and they made you feel very welcome, if you can make sure you try the chicken cashew dish in the restaurant.

I went away for a few days to one of the islands and I enjoyed myself so much I came back to stay at the same place, see if you can get a 4th floor room as you can catch most of the sunset at night from your room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank David I

Reviewed 18 March 2011

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the lowly rating of this hotel (51 out of 57 at the time of writing). Whilst not the best I've stayed in during my Asian travels, I found the rooms to be well appointed, the bathroom perfectly adequate and (most of) the staff quite friendly - the older guy at reception was a bit of a grumpy mother hen, but the others were smiling and pleasant. I agree with the other reviewer that the balcony was laughably small and the pool is more somewhere to cool off than train for the Olympics.
The buffet seemed fine (but I'm more of a coffee and cigarette man in the morning) and the local area has enough eating options to mean that I didn't sample the hotel food at all during my stay.
Overall, I found the hotel to be a bit pricey for what you get but perfectly adequate for my needs, close to beach, restaurant and nightlife - there are definitely worse places to stay in Karon.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Soloposhbloke
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We chose this hotel because of it's location, just 3 minutes from the beach. I have stayed in several hotels in karon before, and this was actually one of the nicest ones having in mind the location (near bars and stuff).

One day we came back after 2 o clock in the afternoon and the room still wasn't cleaned, so we didn't bother waiting for it.

The one thing that left a really bad taste in my mouth was the staff. When I walked in they made nasty comments about my looks (in thai) which they thought I couldn't understand, but a friend of mine who speaks thai sat in the lobby listening. This doesn't seem very professional to me and really ruined my stay at this hotel for me.

1  Thank RFRNFS
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel for only one night and had to check out as the noise was so loud I had to leave. The noise was louder than the TV in my room and the windows were shaking from the noise. Further, the hotel never advised me of the noise and they were extremely unhelpful and rude about the matter. Did not refund me for the new year's eve gala dinner which I was not even there for.

The pool was also very small and the rooms was not very clean at all.

I will never stay at this hotel again and do not recommend anyone.

1  Thank nicolemao
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Location
1. Very good location as near to the beach and restaurants.
2. Very convenient if you rent a motorbike or just hop on a tuk-tuk to nearby Kata beach for more restaurants if you want options.

Customer Service
1. I've never experienced staffs that were not well-groomed as the ones you can find in this hotel. They were borderline rude if you do take offense. What happened to the Thai smiley and pleasant faces? Funny though that the housekeeping ladies were extremely pleasant people who smiles and greets when they see you unlike the front desk staffs.
2. Lodged a complaint that the a/c unit in the room wasn't working. Room was scorching hot in that weather. Nothing was done during the day. Maintenance guy knocked on the door upon our return from day trip, came in the room, opened up the window/door to the balcony and had a look at the ac unit there, said he'll come back in a moment but was never to be seen ever again. Needless to say the entire trip we had a room which was much warmer than the surrounding environment.

Hotel Environment
1. Room seemed renovated in recent years but was unfortunately not well maintained.
2. Curtains and linens had stains on them so even though they may be clean, they appeared soiled.
3. Tiles in the bathroom were also stained so it did 'look' dirty. For a relatively average sized asian girl like me, I did bang my elbows on the wall when in the shower. So please be cautious.
4. The decorative pillows were actually plastic bags stuffed with some cotton like material so it's not something you would like to hug.
5. There was a very strange unpleasant smell around the lobby and breakfast area. It was some kind of stale air like a mix of drain and rubbish which could have been addressed by lighting up some scented candles that might have worked as a mosquito repellent as well. Be prepared to get bitten at the lobby...

1  Thank silveryz80
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Awful hotel.

Pool very small, numbers small. It is very noisy.
Very small balconies.
There is no territory.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ivanovatatyana
Reviewed 7 February 2010

My wife, son and I stayed at this hotel in Dec 2009 for 4 nights. It is nothing fancy but we had no complaints and would have no real problems staying there again. It was clean and is well positioned relative to bars/restaurants/beach. The breakfast buffet again is nothing fancy but we found it totally fine. We didn't use the restaurant in the evening so can't comment on this. There are so many food options nearby - also food and beer was more expensive at the hotel. One complaint I would have is that the lift wasn't working for the duration of our stay - annoying if you have a kid+buggy+bags etc. Also we paid extra for a balcony - which ended up being laughable - as we had a view of dirty looking buildings (DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR A BALCONY).
Staff: we found the staff quite friendly - no complaints. I left a book behind me and they posted it to me once i paid the postage - they were quite good about this.
The hotel does have a pool, albeit a very small one. We didn't use it. The beach is 10 mins walk away and is very nice.
Overall this hotel is a bit no frills but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for clean, basic accom then this place is great. I was a bit shocked at how rundown and congested Phuket is in general...although Karon is apparently a lot quieter than Patong area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family