“Back in Karon”

Korumburra, Australia
“Back in Karon”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Well what a difference 12 months makes
Since my last visit the old Sugar Palm has had a face lift.
The dining area has been upgraded very "flash" now and the buffet breakfast is very trendy
I am staying in a pool access room step off the small balcony and straight into the pool very nice.
The staff are always very friendly and helpful.
If you smile at them you are rewarded in triple with the most happiest smiles
Currently they are undergoing extensive renovations I was offered another hotel at the same price but because the location is so good here I choose not. It is quite noisy between 10:00am and 5:30pm but seeing most people are out doing things it really isn't a problem.
Being the low season I can tell you the price is right...
If you are looking for good accommodation not to dear in a great location this is the place you need to have a look at...

Room Tip: Upgrade to pool access room if it is in your budget
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael93George

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Panipat, India
Reviewed 3 June 2014

First of all the location of this hotel is very nice i.e nearly arm length distance from beautiful karon beach and a market full of night life.Hotel staff was very cooperative and well mannered.As we were vegetarians so hotel provide special vegetarian meals for us.variety of food in breakfast was unbelievable(fruits,breads,three types of juice, egg related dishes, non veg dishes etc).
Room which we booked was very clean and nice.with daily cleaning and re filling of eatables which hotel offered us free of cost(beer can,coke can,one chocolate bar, two water bottles etc). hotel also have nice swimming pool to enjoy the fresh water.
we felt little difficulty to converse with some staff because of lack of understanding of English language by them, but it was manageable as rest of the things were very good.
I definitely recommend this hotel for rest of the travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms facing swimming pool gives very nice view
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On arrival we had to wait for our room but not after check in time good staff and they gave my daughter an ice cream while we waited.
We had a pool access room it was nice room good size clean bathroom works well but grout was discoloured without been dirty.
About 400 meters from a nice beach with beautiful water much better than Patong Beach.
Close to restuarants and markets not a huge place but nice.
Breakfast was good with a bit of variety and the had proper bacon not like most hotels.
Pool was good clean but no shade over any part of the pool after about 10.30 am which is not good for someone who has white skin and prone to skin cancer.
The room service has a limited selection but reasonably priced.
They did have a mini bar which had a snicker bar 1 beer 2 bottles of water 1 juice and 1 can of coke which is free each day.
Internet access was free and it worked well.
I was happy with this hotel and would have no hesitance to go back again.

Room Tip: pool access is good but next time I would not waste the extra money on the room I would just get poo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Malcolm505
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our eighth visit to Thailand and our sixth to Phuket. We booked through Agoda and stayed in a superior room (with breakfast included) on the fourth floor (i.e. on the 3rd storey) for eight nights during April 2014. From first arriving at the hotel we enjoyed the arty feel of the place. Our room was one of those without a pool view, but we did not mind as we spent the daylight hours outside on the lovely Karon beach which is 300 meters from the hotel. The pool was also lovely to cool down in. Our room was large and modern (with a turquoise and black colour scheme) and the bed was large and comfortable. We reported a faulty basin plug the first afternoon and this was replaced by the maintenance guys within one hour! The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The breakfast spread was well varied every morning and on par with the best that we've ever experienced (even at much more expensive hotels). The hotel is situated at the end of a quiet street running off Patak road (the first street from the circle) and there was no nightlife noise from outside audible in our room. The free wifi was fast and reliable. Besides the normally expected two complimentary bottles of drinking water we also received a complimentary Coke, Singa beer, small fruit juice and small chocolate bar every day in the bar fridge in our room. We will definItely stay here again and I can highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank eldridgevn
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked for 2 nights through bookings.com with a very special rate. Not surprisingly, we got the worst room (I believe). The room looks depressing with dark wood & dark colour decor. There was a 7 feet high cement wall right facing the window. There wasn't much sun light in the room at all. I didn't want to feel bad or complain, as I know, "You pay peanuts, you get monkey." However, there is much more happened afterwards. Let me outline what was happened :

1st day of stay : Air-con was not cold at all. It's important in such a humid hot weather. Bed-side table lamp was not working........ it's okay. I told the helpful receptionist and got them fixed.

The following morning : Toilet was blocked. Sink was blocked. Again, I told the receptionist in the morning and she got someone from maintenance dept to fix them.

There was some maintenance work going on at the pool side. So, annoying drilling noise non-stop when you were using the pool area that afternoon.

When we returned to the hotel from outside in the evening, I was requested to change to another room, as the air-con was leaking badly. They upgraded me to the pool view room. What a nice surprise..... I thought.

The 2nd floor pool view room was airy, bright with big window and beautifully decorated. I felt like moving to the heaven from the hell. Me and my kids were so happy. However, the toilet was blocked after few hours.

Called the reception and the maintenance guy came to fix it. He was rude and blamed me for putting " TOILET PAPERS" into the toilet bowl and made the toilet blocked. I didn't put anything not suitable into the toilet. He asked me to use the toilet papers and throw them at the trash bin next to the toilet instead. Then, I asked him, "What happened if you want to poo?" He just ignored my questions and just keep saying that, "Don't put tissues into the toilet?" And he walked away. So, me and my kids got very stressed up each time using the toilet after then.

Bottom line : It's nice if you book those pool access room or pool view room. Don't try the rest. Their web site don't even dare to show pics of those depressing cheap room. (However, I got some pics.)

Location is good. Receptionist is helpful. Maintenance team.... not very nice.

Also, the most important thing : DON'T PUT TOILET PAPERS INTO THE TOILET BOWL. It becomes very tricky when you need to do the big business inside.

Room Tip: Pool access room & pool view room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BabyKangaroo
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Breakfast first class. Room was spacious and modern. What a surprise everyday a free coke, chocolate, beer and juice. I can recommend the location really 3 min from beach and no noise at night. The only negative point is the cigarette smoke in the lobby and wish they would ban it around the pool as well.

• Stayed April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Very nice place to stay. Great location great service and friendly staff. Walking distance to restaurants and shops. Pool access room recommended!!!
Do not forget the market on tuesday and saturday evening.

Room Tip: Pool acces room recommended
Review collected in partnership with this hotel