“Disappointed - don't accept a basement room if you're a non-smoker!”

Bamboo House Phuket
Ranked #58 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We are at Bamboo House tonight and I want to cry with disappointment. It's a beautiful, neat, small hotel with spacious, modern rooms and a gorgeous entrance, pool & restaurant. We booked through booking.com noting SPECIFICALLY non-smoking. When we got checked into room 108 in the basement I smelled something funny but attributed it to cleaning which had just been completed. We went out for a couple of hours and when we came back in, the stale smoke smell was overwhelming. The receptionist admitted that it is a smoking room and confimed that our booking clearly specified non-smoking but said that all the rooms are full. She was very apologetic and even arranged for an oil burner (I could pick out my own oil, how sweet) but I find this hard to accept. We will check out early tomorrow as they are still full tomorrow night so we can't be moved. If your non-smoking rooms are full you DON'T accept a non-smoking booking! They also expect us to deal with booking.com in getting tomorrow night cancelled, which I don't feel should be our problem. We booked & paid for a non-smoking room and would've loved to stay here... Sad.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Marli d

Reviewed 9 April 2012

we spent two weeks here and found the hotel brilliant value. the rooms were lovely, very modern, the tv turned into an imac! nice pool and cocktails, and very close to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Nice enough hotel .. helpful reception.. i asked for help and they were extremely helpful. the rooms are great and the mac-mini in the Room is something that I have not seen in any other hotels..The rooms with a well interesting style see hoel photos and the bed or rather Futon is really comfortable. I had a room on the top floor (5th) and reception is on the 2nd had to walk up the stairs as there is no elevator. I would definitely return. The only thing in the passage to the rooms were cluttered up with sheets an towels from the room service, not the best place for teh storage. the Breakfast was average but then in the heat one does not really have a large appetite.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Sitting here at the poolside bar of this ever so pleasant hotel, I only have good words and take note I am very critical esp., since traveling around Thailand and the outer countries for nearly 3 years.

Read many reviews before chancing upon this one, looked at 4-5 star resorts to B&Bs (Karon, Kata & Patong) and the reviews were so mixed favoring on the poorer side, I thought this was a good gamble.

Anyway, the Staff is most friendly, the room (Superior on the 5th floor facing the pool) is quite comfortable. The elegant Bamboo trim throughout brings a serene comfort placing you outside the relative confines of the concrete town. The room itself, has that old-style, Japanese feel. The bed - basically a mattress on the floor (no box-spring & not a futon) with a raised platform/step on both sides. As far as the hard mattress, which is common throughout Thailand, this one is just right - I sleep peacefully. I've been at 5-star hotels where you feel as if your sleeping on a slab of wood, here is not the case. The room is equipped with a large flat screen TV with a Mac Mini connected to it (NOT an Apple TV). The internet/WIFI is as expected on an Island within Thailand - very slow. To the bullets...

• Room comfortable & quiet enough for a good night sleep (NO bugs & just right in "firmness" mattress). You also get a Towel bag for the beach.
• Staff friendly & accommodating; regards to the language barrier, English is good
* Pool - small but very relaxing & plenty on lounge chairs
• Restaurant is sparse and comfortable in that Bamboo trim. Haven't tried the food yet. Then again I rarely eat hotel food.
• The immediate area is typical with minimal street noise. VERY safe & compared to Bangkok, very clean.

There are massage parlors & minimal small restaurants lining the street, a Gym on the corner to the beach road & a row of bars in a little nook across the street. I rented a motorbike from a Falang owned restaurant on the street behind the hotel for 150 BHT a day - they just wrote down my Passport info. Just to say, there is no REAL or Legitimate reason why any company has to hold on to your passport. These Thai companies (Motorbike rentals) want to keep your Passport, but I believe the reason to be less honest. To each his own.

I don't know the walking distance to the beach, as I like to ride, but it's short as I can see the horizon from the entrance. Patong is about 15 minutes by the beach road. Haven't ventured using the short-cut yet. Patong is similar to Pattaya except much cleaner & much more safe in the area of chaos - though please to all, stay out of the dark allies. The overall location is what it is pending on your desired transportation. If you choose to go by feet, then a resort maybe more fitting, as there are few restaurants. Or maybe just get a place in Patong. By transport, everything is at your feet.

Back to the hotel, I highly recommend. Just learned (excuse my spelling), there is a go-cart track & shooting range just over the hill in Cha-long. Along with the beach activities...bliss.

Room Tip: High Floor, facing the pool
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank oz893
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Great staff. Room amenities is superb with own internet and desktop. Has airport transport services and the beach is a mere 10 minute walk. Hotel provides you with a beach bag which you can bring to the beach. Restaurant is open for breakfast and closes til 10 and then re-opens for dinner. Great and cheap massage booths right across the street. The market is a 15-minute walk. Plus they have a dipping pool.

Room Tip: No elevators but higher rooms have better view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I enjoyed my 8 nights stay here. Its a clean, affordable, fine little hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated. I liked the low big japanese style bed (futon?). Also the bathroom was well designed with open glass to the room. Bath amenities were nice. So was the big rain shower. I only missed a bathtub, but didnt expect this from a small 4* hotel. TV and WIFI were all good. They also had a nice Apple computer hooked up to the big screen TV in each room.

Restaurant seemed to have a good vibe and was busy every night, but didnt eat their as I prefer the local food carts on the streets, really a joy! Pool was not too big but just very good, just a downside that they closed at 6pm already. Hotel is 5 minutes walk down the street to the beach. Renting a motorbike is also a good idea to visit other beaches or towns easily. Just 200/250 a day. Patong was 10minutes drive. Kata 5 minutes. Can park in front of the hotel for free. All phuket parking is free actually, as far as I know.

Housekeeping, reception and porter staff were all very nice and helpfull. I'd recommend this hotel to my friends and family. If travelling on a larger budget, stay at Hilton Karon Beach.

Room Tip: Reception floor level, so dont have to take stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Well located, clean rooms, wifi and air conditiong work well. Very friendly and helpful staff in the reception, breakfast average. Not luxury or a "boutique hotel" (in a way I understand the term) but ok and clean basic hotel. I would not spend my whole holiday here but for the price I think it is ok for a couple of nights stay if you want to be in Karon. One negative thing were the ants in the room.

Room Tip: In the first floor it is better to choose a room that's not facing the pool and restaurant side...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends