“Amazing Family Resort”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Karon
“Amazing Family Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We have recently returned home from our holiday at Centara Grand and I can honestly say that not one person out of our party of ten had anything less than a fabulous time.
We travelled as a rambunctious family of 10 with 5 children aged between 3 and 14 and 5 adults (my parents and brother) and stayed for 12 days.
We arrived at the resort at about 11.00pm and were greeted with a cold drink and then taken by buggy to our rooms. Between us we had one deluxe club suite, a one bedroom pool villa and a two bedroom pool villa. The only issue we had with the villa was the pre arranged fold out beds had not been brought up, a quick call to reception and they were up within 15 minutes of our arrival.
The Cove is great and has something available for everyone, Even our 3 year old extremely fussy little boy!
I think we ate at the Mare 4 times, every time the food was superb.
Although I think the wine list could do with some expansion!

During the days the kids barely left the lazy river. Mos & Nut the lifeguards were brilliant with the kids, my boys want to go back just to see them!

It saddens me to see people whining about the hills, we stayed in villa 909, when you get to the top of the hill there are three flights of stairs to climb before reaching the room... This in no way affected our holiday. And as for the hill at the entrance, we made a game of who could get to the top the fastest!! I even beat the kids on a couple of occasions...however I do feel physical activity is a good thing for our precious little ones :/

All of the adults enjoyed the Cenvaree spa very much, with the ladies returning on three separate occasions.

Finally I would like to commend the resort on their ability to respond to a guests urgent needs, halfway into our holiday my mother became extremely ill and could not move. A doctor was called in immediately and she was given pain medication and made comfortable while waiting for the ambulance. Further tests at Bangkok hospital in Phuket fortunately showed it was only an ulcer and she could return to the holiday. She was asked repeatedly how she was doing and if she needed anything.
We loved the Centara and will be returning. honeymooners, maybe try the Banyan Tree or Trisara if you want something more intimate.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Annette H
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Annette H

We appreciate your great review on your recent stay with us. We are extremely delighted to read that your enjoyed our selections of Western and Asian breakfast at the Cove as well as the quality of the Mare restaurant.

Mos & Nut are rewarded for their good work, and the helpfulness of our other team members, thank you for your comment.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our award winning Spa facility.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please come back again for the game of “who could get to the top the fastest”!

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We're staying at the hotel at the moment & felt I had to write a review in defence of the negative comments, as it's so good. We checked in late at night & we're dealt with quickly & efficiently with our luggage arriving at our room 5 mins after we did.

Breakfast is fab & as you would expect from this standard of hotel, there's something for every nationality from cereal & toast to roti & curry. Yes, the restaurant prices are more expensive than eating outwith the hotel, but where in the world would this be any different? And even at that they are no where near as expensive as say London or Dubai. Last night we went to the Red Onion which had be recommended by previous reviews & I can see why. 325 baht for 3 drinks & 2 mains - amazing value!

We've got a deluxe spa room with a jacuzzi bath on the balcony as well as 2 loungers,which are great to sit out on if you don't want to venture down to the pool. Pool area is great with its lazy river, a couple of slides & a jumping area which the kids love. All are well supervised by life guards. Sand is also great & soft to walk on. We walked into town via the beach & yes you need to cross a couple of inlets but you just need to choose your path carefully. If you walk via the road the first part is a bit hairy as there's no pavement, but plenty folk were walking it, so pedestrians being there seems to be accepted. In this day & age of google maps & trip advisor, check this out beforehand & don't book this hotel this if location is not for you, as it's clear this hotel is not in the town centre. This is a good thing though, as the beach is much quieter. If the walk is too much, a taxi sets you back Baht 200.

The resort is big & spread out, so if you're not into walking it's not for you. The gym is good & we'll equipped with activities / classes run each day (yet to try these) & bottled water / towels are supplied. There's also a spa, but again we've yet to try this. For info spa treatments in town are approx Baht 400 per hour - an absolute bargain in comparison to home.

When reading these reviews I always like to have a point of comparison. We've been to the Maldives & that's 5 / 6 star. This is equivalent of a UK 4 star. So far service has been great & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TiggsGlasgow
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear TiggsGlasgow

Thank you very much for your kind review and your recommendation for our hotel.

We are extremely delighted that you enjoyed your stay and its excellent facilities.

We are looking forward to extending you a warm welcome on your return.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Rooms here are great. We were very lucky and stayed in room 942 for over 2 weeks. Right on beach front, top floor. The only noise you could hear was the waves.

There were bouts of illness during our stay, however we didn't drink iced drinks or salads and were ok.

Location not great and taxis are expensive! Minimum £4 to get into Karon and £5 Kata where there is better restaurants. It's a 2 mile walk into kata and 15 into Karon having to walk over a stream which changes in depth through the day

Food is also expensive, we were at least £30-40 a night, then drinks on top.

Distinct lack of sunbeds on beach, but we spent most days at adult pool, perfectly attended to by the wonderful Neung.

Breakfasts were okish, but got very bored after 2 weeks.

Lots and lots of Russians.... They will probably take over this resort in a short time.

Many people moaned about this hotel... They did look unhappy people the ones which did an I wasn't prepared to listen to their negativity.... It is a 5 star hotel, but it's a Thailand 5 star, so get your perceptions in order before you go.

Would I go back.... Probably not.

Am I glad I went... Yes as we met really nice people and another place we can tick the box of visiting

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sonny1965
Dear Sonny1965

Thank you for taking your time placing this review.

We are sorry that you probably not coming back. We are however, glad that you liked the quality of our room and also your wonderful comment regarding our dedicated team member is much appreciated and I will ensure your comment is passed on to Neung.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have just returned from this resort after an 8 day stay. Our overall impression is that its a great place for families.

SERVICE: The staff were fantastic, very friendly, had no problems with any of them, they were always very polite, helpful and generally couldn't do enough for us. Inparticular the lifeguards around the pools. They were brilliant with the kids even getting to know their names and having fun with them. (Special mention to "NUT" who our kids absolutely adored)

VALUE: You get what you pay for. We had a oceanview deluxe room. It may not have been a big room but it catered for the 4 of us. (2 x adults, kids 10 and 8) We knew there was going to be 2 x double beds which was adequate. We had a great view of the beach and also the pools.

FOOD: Being very cautious we ate at the Resort most of the time and found the food to be of a good standard. The kids loved the buffet breakfasts especially the pancakes. There was a big variety of food. We definately didn't find it to be crowded and the standard was good and was catered for everyone. We also didn't find the prices expensive considering we were in a resort.

POOLS: Amazing!!!! The cliff jumping and water slides were a massive hit with our kids and very well supervised by the lifeguards. All other pools were exceptionally cleaned (we know this as we saw them being cleaned every morning!!!) We didnt find at anytime that these were crowded.

LOCATION: Very quiet location especially if you are a family with young kids. This is the main reason why we chose this resort as we didn't want to be in the hussle and bussle of Patong. Access to the beach was excellent, although be aware of the rips when swimming in the sea. We found the beach to be very clean and a good spot to relax.

SERVICES: We used the Tour Desk to arrange for a car to go places and found them to be very reasonably priced and very very helpful. We found them no more expensive than a Tuk Tuk. We were offered a car and driver for 6 hours to take us around to a number of places around the island for a cost of 2200 baht. This was an excellent way to visit sites at a very reasonable price. We would highly recomment this service as we got to choose where and when we went and the driver was very friendly.

OVERALL: Great value for a family considering we were in a resort with lots of facilities. Probably the only let down was there was no laundry facilities, we paid $25 Australian dollars for 9 pieces of underwear which we thought was a bit extravagent. Be very aware of the slippery tiles around the resort when wet, but there was always a cleaner around doing there best to keep these tiles dry. We found there were always signs advising people that the tiles were wet.

Some of the comments on this site seem to us to be very harsh. We did not encounter alot of the issues that recent posts. We were very very religious on hygiene with even taking probiotic tablets prior to leaving and where ever we ate in the resort there was always a big container of hand sanitizer provided by the resort with signs asking everyone to use on their way in and way out. We noticed a lot of people didn't use these. Bottle water was restocked in our room everyday but we also purchased 12 x 600ml bottles from a shop for a total of $4 Australian.

If we decide to go back to Phuket we will definately come back here. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank BecM853
Dear BecM853

We are so delighted that you and your family had a great time during your recent stay.

Thank you for your welcome comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members. We are also glad that you enjoyed our water facilities and the resort location.

We hope to welcome you again.

sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Where would i begin? Worst hotel I have stayed in. I should have really listened to the previous negative rewiews. This is the only new 5 star hotel in Karon so I really wanted to splurge but boy was I dissapointed

LOCATION: The location is terrible. To enter or exit the hotel you need to conquer an extremely steep hill. Basically dont expect to just stroll out with prams or kids down to Karon, you can only catch taxis, because even if you make it up the hill, you end up on a very dangerous busy road with no pedestrian access. Taxis/tuk tuk is not cheap, they charge $6 one way just to go down the road and this can add up. You know with little kids you always need things from the supermarket, and you cant go walking at all with little ones from this hotel. So if you're happy to spend all your time at the resort then thats a different story. To me, both Karon and Patong are equally seedy after 8pm, so there is no point in staying in Karon if you are doing it because you think Patong is seedy. Patong at least has better facilties, locations of hotels and handy things like Mcdonalds and Subway and a shopping centre. With young kids you are back at the hotel early anyway so just stay in Patong be close to everything and save on taxi/tuk tuk fares

CHECK-IN- Check in is not smooth especially with overtired kids. The reception area is understaffed with only 2 people trying to check in dozens of people.

ROOMS: Although advertised as suites, they are not, they are just small squashy rooms. To me, every time I have booked a suite at a hotel, it has provided me with a separate space/living or some extra space. For those of you like me their kids sleep early, there isnt anywhere to really hang out with your partner after the kids sleep. You need to book a villa. We booked a deluxe pool suite, this was a very small room with a plunge pool. Nothing special or wow about the rooms. The pools are meant to have a spa, Ours never worked. for 7 days we rang every day, and each time they said someone was coming, no one came.

HOUSEKEEPING: Need more training. Not the best I have seen. Still had dirty floors, dirty bathroom and constant towel shortage,

STAFF: For the amount of people this hotel accomodates, there is not enough staff anywhere. Some are pleasant some are not, I also found a lot of trouble communicating my needs to staff, they simply did not understand a lot of what we were saying with a language issue.
They really do not care whether your happy or not. This hotel is like a Theme Park, you pay your entry then basically you are on your own

AROUND THE HOTEL WITH KIDS: The resort is massive, be prepared to do a lot of walking, I found this hard with 2 little ones. And there are no buggies ever driving around asking to give you a lift, they drive right past you, and you have to scream out or request it.

BREAKFAST: Extremely congested, always busy, we had to wait for seats and it was not even peak season. Things constantly running out, staff were rude, food was not topped up, we had to wait in line for everything

POOL/FACILITIES/KIDS CLUB: Very clean, 5 star pool facilities, great for kids, many slides and things that will keep them busy for hours. Grounds are clean, 5 star. 5 star kids club, one of the best kids clubs I have seen, again the staff though in the kids club are not so enthusiastic. Note kids club is 4 years and up unsupervised.

FOOD: Food is ok, prices are ok. If you dont want to keep feeding your kids hotel food, do what I did, I walked down to Karon (on my own) supermarket and grabbed things like slice bread and cheese,tomatoes, fresh fruit, yoghurt which kept my little ones very happy and it was also much more cost effective. Restaurants in Karon are not so great, most are outdoor in the hot heat. See for yourself

LAUNDRY: Hotel prices are ridiculous. Either had wash everything or after your kids sleep, one of you can walk down to Karon (about 10 minutes) and they have a million cheap laundry service providers for around $2 per kilo, its overnight and comes back clean and ironed.

OVERALL: Honestly, I prefered Patong based on being close to everything and so much more to do. I feel let down, and I travel to Thailand often. I am already planning my next trip but definitely will not be staying here.

Room Tip: with kids, you will need a room close to the pools and kids club. Ask for this as they are the 2 fac...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Ekhalife
GMCPBR, General Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Ekhalife

I am equally disappointed that you felt so negatively about our resort.

We understand that some people prefer the convenience of staying in Patong, we think that a direct access to the beach is the preferred option to most of the families visiting us.
Our Deluxe Pool Suites are 52 Sqm, our Luxury pool suites are 83 Sqm with ample outdoor living space.

The majority of our guests praise the courteous manner of our 485 staff understanding that English in Thailand is not our mother tongue. We recognize the need of language training and employ a full time teacher who focuses on improving the fluency of our young staff level of English.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding the water facilities and our excellent kids club and respect your preference for staying in Patong.

Warmest regards

Denis
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Where to begin I was so excited to be going to stay here the photos look amazing but as soon as we arrived in reception I felt let down...
the foyer is dated and has an odour like a wet smell. We were not even greeted properly just hassled for a credit card no hello how was your flight nothing.
We had to carry our own bags to the room Staff are rood they don't even say hello the ones we approached spoke little or no English..
we booked a ocean view deluxe premium suite with spa which was not one of the cheap rooms and quite expensive for Phuket and after seeing other resorts for much cheaper I feel ripped off.
This place is by no means 5 star its a 4 and that's being generous.
Food in resort is so expensive and crap compared to other resorts ..
From the moment we got into our room it was one disappointment after another the blinds which are suppose to be electric and control your views to the ocean were stuck down and did not operate after calling reception twice nobody came to check them.. the minibar was broken it kept going off and we called 3 times to have this checked.. as the sliding door to the bathroom keep pulling the chord from the back of the fridge every time you closed the bathroom door to shower etc this is something my husband worked out on his own so we just stopped closing the door. Room service was ordered but never arrived to our room. The water bottles tea and coffee etc are not replenished daily the robes were dirty and had makeup on them from the previous guests. the towels don't get replaced daily they didn't clean our room until after 4 30pm in the afternoon so no new water bottles leaving us to buy water all the time as you cant drink the water. the spa on the balcony was disgusting not cleaned and when I ran the water to clean it myself it ran green?? I have pics..there were no chairs to use the computers in the lobby and when I asked 3 different staff they kept sending me to ask someone else and then one said he would get them but never returned so I just squatted to check my emails.. the staff are not helpful they are all constantly facebooking and act like your being a pain when you approach them for something. they even charged me for a phone call when they phoned for a doctor to my room as I was sick possibly from the green water and was bed ridden for 3 days had to get needles to stop the vomiting etc and I had only spoken to 4 other people over the course of our stay in and around the breakfast buffet and all of them got sick and had the same doctor called too at a a cost of 8000 thai baht .. imagine if the only 4 people I had spoken to were ill how many actually were sick in that resort. Room 401 (our room) smells you cant open your balcony doors its above a sewer pipe or something and it just pongs. The.fruit is not replaced they leave rotten fruit in bowl and just rearrange it.. surfaces are not clean everything is very dusty floors are scratched and scuffed doors are broken in rooms and its very run down our tv stopped working again we informed reception nobody came .. the circular shower is a joke water leaks everywhere even when you put a towel on the floor to stop it.. the tiles in the resort are crazy slippery I am a fit person and I fell over many times Id hate to see someone older take a fall.
Cards don't work we kept getting locked out of our room as the cards were not working and had to be replaced twice the lifts were often not working meaning a 4 storey walk up the stairs again no apology from staff when you tell them and it was a daily thing... not a big deal for us but again someone less mobile it would be.
.We are a couple who where looking for a romantic holiday the had twin beds shoved together and a big sheet over the top hoping we wouldn't notice perhaps ,...there was a hole on the roof of the balcony the thing flooded everyday I mean your shoes would get soaked through if you walked out onto the smelly balcony ...you couldn't sit on the lounges and chairs at all as they were soaked through and never dried and stunk form all the water I guess
we complained they offered us a villa that stunk of cigarette smoke and was even more run down than the room we were in.. no thanks Centara suggest you lift your game
Breakfast buffet is amazing though and massages on the beach are lovely really nice locals : )
do yourself a favour shop around the Movenpick is far better or the Holiday Inn we seen so many better deals over there I wont be staying here again..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tanya q
GMCPBR, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear tanya q

May I thank you for staying with us, although on the first reading of your detailed review I felt distressed, a closer investigation brought matters in perspective and in the light of truth.

The resort is 3 year old.
You arrived at around 21:00 and we were running full house.
Your luggage was brought to your room by our bell people.
The majority of our guests praise our staff for their warmth and level of care.

The perceived high price is justified by the room type including an outdoor Jacuzzi and a larger outdoor area than other room type.

The food is not more expensive and cheaper than any other 5 star hotels according to our monthly competitive survey.

The bathrobes should have been changed every day or more often as we noticed you enjoyed wearing them so much.

We had a few issues on bathtub drainage lately which have been fixed since.

2 chairs are placed in front of the 2 computers available FOC for guests at the lobby.

The excursion staff is equipped with tablets for fast booking purpose.

During heavy rains some TV satellite dishes can be disrupted and are adjusted back promptly, outside corridors are swept regularly.

We apologized for one of the 3 blinds not functioning and offered to move to a villa. You turned down this upgrade mentioning the distance to other facilities not a smoking odor. The resort is non smoking in the bedrooms.

Thank you for the recognition of our amazing breakfast and good local massage on the beach.
The review received just before yours was titled Better than Movenpick.

Yours sincerely

Denis Thouvard
Area General Manager
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have just stayed in the Centara Karon Beach hotel. I chose that hotel because I wanted somewhere just to rest and have a quiet few days. It is definitely not a 5 star hotel, but comfortable. The room are utilitarian and pretty standard, even though I was very kindly upgraded when I arrived. There are three pools which are lovely, but I stayed around the lagoon pool as my room was close.
The property is huge and very well kept and as many of the reviews said, a very good resort for families. Luckily I was there out if season so it was quiet, but I can only imagine what it must be like during the school holidays.

Breakfast was the usual standard fare, but many people seemed to enjoy it thoroughly.

I cannot fault the hotel, and it was good value for what I paid (booked through Agoda.com after reading all the reviews), but I think it was spoilt by the town of Karon.

A word on Phuket: I cannot say how I was disappointed was with Phuket. It is seedy, dirty, and if you do not speak English or Russian, you are sunk. I chose Karon beach because I dreamt Of sitting on that beautiful beach and just enjoy the sun and the sea. The beach was very clean, and pleasant, but the environment is awful. One would think with the droves of tourists coming to Phuket, they would have the money to fix the pavements, so the tourists don't have to walk in the street to get anywhere, narrowly being missed by motorbikes, cars and tuk tuks. Thai people as always, are very pleasant but since my last trip some years ago, I remember the shop assistants being only to happy to help; now they have their backs to the customers and their noses buried in their cell phones. Such a pity.

Patong looks even worse and I did not venture anywhere near the place. However if your holiday is enjoying the bars and night life, this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Single_traveler_9
Dear Single_traveler_9

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you had a comfortable stay with us.

The resort has a ranges of room types that suite the needs of both couples and families. We not only received the award of Travellers’ Choice Winner – Family from Trip Advisor, but also are in the Top Ten romantic hotels in Karon.

Quality Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,179 reviews

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!