“Perfect place for Family getaway”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #15 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Singapore, Singapore
“Perfect place for Family getaway”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my 4th trip to Phuket but my first at Grand Centara Karon beach. I'm writing this review in the comfort of one of the deluxe room we are staying with my husband with 3 kids aged 12, 9 and 5 (turn 5 today!) and we are a having a fabulous time. The rooms are spacious and beautiful and has a panoramic view of the Karon Beach and I get to watch the sunset every evening from the balcony.

The breakfast spread every morning is amazing, lots of variety and the fresh bread and pastries are my favourite along with the fresh pancakes made fresh with the pancake machine (so unique)!

We also love the themed buffet dinners and entertainment at night. Our favourite is the seafood buffet which we had twice this week, fresh seafood of lobsters, king prawns, crab, mussels and squid.

The pool facilities is incredible! The lazy river, the cliff jumps and my 5 yr old all time favourite - the big slides! He keep going on the slides over 30 times everyday! I especially love boogie boarding in the clear blue sea and there is always a complimentary boogie board available for use.

I also had one of the best massages at the Spa Cenvaree. Love the attention to details that made the experience all the more relaxing and enjoyable.

However I think the part that makes our stay special are the STAFF of the resort. All of them had a ready and smile and greeted us every time they pass us. Many strike a conversation with us when they can. They are very service oriented, proactive, show a lot of initiative and obviously takes a lot of pride in their work.

It's our 7th day here and we are leaving tomorrow but it's not going to be our last stay here. Thank you for making this one of our best family vacations!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank ShaMohdM
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear ShaMohdM

We are pleased that you had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding many of our facilities. Also your kind comments regarding the team members, are very much appreciated.

Belated happy birthday! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We recently returned from a family holiday to Phuket and had the pleasure of staying at the Centara Grand for 9 nights.

SERVICE:: Firstly I have to commend the hotel on their staff. EVERY staff member we encountered was lovely. They treated our children wonderfully and went above and beyond at every opportunity (my daughter made conversation with the housekeeper and showed her a hole in her swimmers she had made earlier jumping in the pool. By the time we came back from a swim in the pool she had repaired it for my daughter and written a lovely note - thank you so much Angmanee). Tuk and Noi in the restaurant entertained our children at every opportunity and the pool staff made sure they were on a first name basis and ensured our children were safe at all times. EVERY staff member said hello at every opportunity and made us feel so welcome.

FOOD: Breakfast was amazing. So much variety everyday and so much for even my picky eaters. We had dinner at "The Cove" a couple of time (best butter chicken ever) and the kids thought their milkshakes were "delicious". Yes, the restaurant was more expensive than eating in town but the food was excellent and convenient. It's also very reasonable when compared to the cost of this sort of meal here in Australia.We also had room service a couple of times which was always speedy and delivered by friendly staff.

FACILITIES: The pool facilities are wonderful. Waterslides for the kids, swim up bar for Mum n Dad (Sexy Mango-----YUM). Clean and well maintained. Towels available conveniently and as always friendly staff. We booked 2 boat tours and a trip to Phantasea through the front tour desk and enjoyed each and everyone.

LOCATION: About a 300baht taxi/tuktuk ride to Patong and a 200 baht taxi/tuktuk ride to Karon. We loved the fact the we were slightly out of the hussle and bussle but still close enough to easily access the markets and restaurants of the nearby towns. Perfect location for family with young kids.

SPA: I had 2 visits to the spa (mani/pedi and a massage) both were amazing and very relaxing. The SPA was a little more expensive than the town variety of massages etc BUT the facilities and the staff at the spa were 1st class.

We saved for 2 years to go on this family holiday and the hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. The highlight for me has to be the Staff. So friendly and thoughtful. Great job Centara Grand :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lisa A
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Lisa A

Thank you for your review and the extremely positive comments regarding our hotel location, facilities and dining experience. Our team members are rewarded for good work and your comments regarding their kindness and helpfulness are greatly appreciated.

We are glad that you and your family enjoyed the resort and its excellent facilities.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked premium deluxe ocean facing room and they upgraded this to premium room with pool....awesome for our 8th wedding anniversary holiday. We stayed there for 7 nights and enjoyed the pool. Loved the food at the Cove restaurant, we ate there every night.
Few suggestions for hotel to make it better
1. Regular shuttle service - every 3-4 hrs to Karon beach would be greatly appreciated by visitors as hotel is few KMs away from the busy area.
2. Reception - need better English speaking staff as it does take a while on many occasion to even discuss simple things.

Overall great property with great location, staff and food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lokendra S
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Lokendra S

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Also, thank you for your suggestions. We are enhancing our training to ensure all of our team members are trained in English speaking skill.

We hope to see you again in the near future - perhaps 9th Anniversary visit?

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I am really shocked at some of the comments on here, i stayed at this hotel with two of my friends just a week or so back and i was really impressed. Upon arriving having travelled in from busy hectic Bangkok, i was stunned and excited to finally relax in this paradise! The location is a bit remote but actually this suited us fine and it was not expensive to get a taxi to the nearby towns of Karon or Patong. The room was spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the resort and into the sea. There are a choice of swimming pool areas (either adult only or mixed) and one of the best parts is the lazy river!! I cant swim so this was amazing for me because you can sit in a rubber ring and go around the river at your own pace which trails around the resort and through a waterfall :) Every staff member you pass at this hotel says hello to you without question - it was only when i travelled to my next location in Phi Phi Island (Outrigger) where i recieved bad service that you start to realise what good service is like we recieved at Centara Grand. It felt lovely to be so welcomed into the resort especially when you are so many miles away from home. Whenever staff saw us walking around the resort they would offer us a lift in the golf buggy to our destination. Breakfast was full of variety and the themed dinner nights are delicious although i agree that they are overpriced comapared to what you can get out in the town for a lot cheaper.
The only thing which let us down on this trip...was on our last day we accidently dropped a glass and we got charged for it. I could understand if we had been reckless with the room but i didnt really understand why a 5 star hotel needed to charge us for a accidental glass breakage! Nethertheless - we loved our stay here and i dont think you would be dissapointed either.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sylvester85

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel facilities. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Again, thank you for highlighting the wonderful Lazy River and the friendliness of our team members.

With regards to the charge of the glass breakage, could you please email me your booking details to qtycpbr@chr.co.th, I therefore will investigate this issue.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed here 5 days as I had a meeting at the hotel. The whole stay was a nightmare. We arrived at the hotel around noon from the airport. Shabby looking lobby had about 25 families lined up to register with only three at the desk. When our turn came, we were told they did not have the room I paid and booked for. After four hours we were given a room which was two steps lower than our booking. On third day we were told we can move to another room with no view of ocean and not we booked. In the mean time we suffered from septic smell, blocked shower and poor air conditioning. Result was a terrible cold as the A/C just blowed on my face. Repeated complaints brought no relief at all. Please stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ravi n
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear ravi n

We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not a pleasant one and we are more than willing to accept constructive criticism to improve our guest experience.
Such criticism should however be based on a true account of events

It is recorded that you arrived at the hotel before the normal check-in time and you were informed that the room you originally booked was available, however you expressed a preference to stay in another building. We therefore gave you an option to stay at your preferred building but it would require you to be downgraded to lower room type but at the price of your originally booked room type. You accepted this option.

Your preferred room was ready at 2.30pm which we believe is more than acceptable as you did not take the originally booked room.

On the 3rd day of your stay, you reported that there was septic smell. We requested that you to move to another building but you declined

Thank you for your review.

Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the centara grand beach resort and have so far enjoyed our stay.

When we arrived we was very impressed with the check in service and also that we were given a complimentary dinner due to the room we had booked not being available on our first night.

Tonight we redeemed our dinner and have to say how disappointed we were!! The selection of fish available was poor, and really only catered for those enjoy shell fish - there was only 1 white fish, I would have at least expected some salmon or at least yellowfin tuna which is local to Thailand! With our dinner we order 2 cocktails that amounted to 540 baht - this was more than the cost of our dinner for 2 with drink in one of the restaurants down the road - I expected for things to be slightly more expensive in the hotel but not over double the price!!! A coke in the hotel will cos 90 baht but in the restaurants in town the are 30 baht - in this case the cost at the hotel is very unfair and cannot imagine it's cost the hotel anymore to supply than the restaurants at Karon beach!

Some positive are the staff are all very friendly and the rooms and hotel it's self are clean and well looked after.

It's just a shame that the prices in the hotel let them down drastically - I think maybe the management teams to to re-evaluate their prices.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank CK211
Dear CK211

Thank you for your review and the kind comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members including the service upon check in.

Our prices are comparable to other similar hotels but obviously the local shops are cheaper.

Should require any assistance, please feel free to contact the hotel directly. We are running 24 hour service.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We have recently returned home from our holiday at Centara Grand and I can honestly say that not one person out of our party of ten had anything less than a fabulous time.
We travelled as a rambunctious family of 10 with 5 children aged between 3 and 14 and 5 adults (my parents and brother) and stayed for 12 days.
We arrived at the resort at about 11.00pm and were greeted with a cold drink and then taken by buggy to our rooms. Between us we had one deluxe club suite, a one bedroom pool villa and a two bedroom pool villa. The only issue we had with the villa was the pre arranged fold out beds had not been brought up, a quick call to reception and they were up within 15 minutes of our arrival.
The Cove is great and has something available for everyone, Even our 3 year old extremely fussy little boy!
I think we ate at the Mare 4 times, every time the food was superb.
Although I think the wine list could do with some expansion!

During the days the kids barely left the lazy river. Mos & Nut the lifeguards were brilliant with the kids, my boys want to go back just to see them!

It saddens me to see people whining about the hills, we stayed in villa 909, when you get to the top of the hill there are three flights of stairs to climb before reaching the room... This in no way affected our holiday. And as for the hill at the entrance, we made a game of who could get to the top the fastest!! I even beat the kids on a couple of occasions...however I do feel physical activity is a good thing for our precious little ones :/

All of the adults enjoyed the Cenvaree spa very much, with the ladies returning on three separate occasions.

Finally I would like to commend the resort on their ability to respond to a guests urgent needs, halfway into our holiday my mother became extremely ill and could not move. A doctor was called in immediately and she was given pain medication and made comfortable while waiting for the ambulance. Further tests at Bangkok hospital in Phuket fortunately showed it was only an ulcer and she could return to the holiday. She was asked repeatedly how she was doing and if she needed anything.
We loved the Centara and will be returning. honeymooners, maybe try the Banyan Tree or Trisara if you want something more intimate.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Annette H
Centara_Grand_Karon, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Annette H

We appreciate your great review on your recent stay with us. We are extremely delighted to read that your enjoyed our selections of Western and Asian breakfast at the Cove as well as the quality of the Mare restaurant.

Mos & Nut are rewarded for their good work, and the helpfulness of our other team members, thank you for your comment.

We are also pleased that you enjoyed our award winning Spa facility.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please come back again for the game of “who could get to the top the fastest”!

Quality Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!