“Poor Check-In and Service Need Lots of Training”

Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket
Ranked #15 of 133 Hotels in Karon
Singapore, Singapore
“Poor Check-In and Service Need Lots of Training”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

As I write this review, I am still in the deluxe spa room. All thanks to Agoda that I got to book this room just 1 week ago. Arrived today, 18 June 2014. Upon arrival, bell boy was not at front porch waiting, but he managed to appear when our luggage are taken out from the Phuket Shuttle transfer we arranged. Walk to the available 3 tables for check-in. 2 ladies sitting behind the desk, on phone. 1 table was empty. Greeted by a trainee staff as her name tag clearly shows that. She was helpful and cheerful and took our passports to photocopy. Took my credit card as well.
When served by this lady name, Oil. She was constantly on phone while serving us. I told her we requested for early check-in and she was checking. Told us bluntly that we need to print out the agoda provided voucher. We did not print it and show her via our iPad. She gave us an email address indicating we must email her that copy. I was amazed why such arrangement through agoda was not made in advance for paying customers.
She then told me she will swipe my credit card for 6,000 Baht per/day and will refund 15 days after our check-out. This puzzles me as there was no such information beforehand.
She gave 2 forms to fill in, one for hotel the other for a loyalty programme. Handed the form to me while she was on phone and kept pointing I must sign the loyalty programme.
I was puzzled. She then blatantly mentioned that if I sign up this loyalty programme, I will then be given internet usage. I was puzzled as when I sign up with agoda, it indicated free wifi.

We then proceed to lunch at the restaurant while await the room to be ready at 12.30pm.
At lunch, ordered our food, and realised missing cutlery on our table. Requested not once, but three times to 2 different staffs and yet, it was not met. We ordered Tom Yum Gong. It came without spoon for us to scoop and drink it. Strange indeed.
We ordered noodle and requested for chopsticks, and it did not came only after requesting it on third time. Strangest thing was that, we saw staff of hotel or some tour agent having their lunch being served despite our ordering was made earlier than theirs. By the way, lunch was not nice.
Went on to our room after checking in at 12.40pm. No baby cot found. Called them, and it got delivered shortly.
The hotel is in low season as entire phuket is low season. Not sure why such poor services provided.
Went to the Italian restaurant for dinner and the service crew were much better. Friendlier and more service-oriented. Dinner was good, paid for set menu dinner and would recommend this italian restaurant.

Overall, I feel that, as a first timer in this resort and having not visited Phuket for more than 8 years, the first impression given in the morning was really not very nice, not friendly and not willing. I believed they could do alot better, and most importantly, alot more smiles will be added advantage as a new resort.
Let's see what will happen for the next 3 other days of my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room. More privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SteveTSP
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Steve TSP,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I am very sorry to read about your initial impression when it comes to check in and dining experience.

I recommend that you contact the Duty Manager immediately regarding the issues mentioned and to ensure that you get the best possible holiday experience.

Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I really like this resort. the private plunge pool is very relaxing. We were given a room with no view because the others were under renovation. But my husband prefer to have this kind of room view because it is more private. The pool outside are also nice and big. The lazy river is very relaxing and there is no lack of floaters. We can easily get one anytime. There are also many day beds available at the pool and beach area. The breakfast is good, many food choices and the you can get the free breakfast until 11am. It is a plus for those people who don't want to wake up early. The restaurants inside are very expensive but there is a cheap eatery nearby (5 mins walk to the right of the resort at the end of the beach). The staff are helpful and friendly. We had no problem checking in and out. Will definitely go back again. =)

Room Tip: Get a room with a private plunge pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sol Q
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Sol Q,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your review.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the pool area nice and very relaxing, the breakfast good with a great selection, and it is great to know that our staff are helpful and friendly.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'll be checking into this hotel over this weekend - a baby moon trip and a first family getaway with our firstborn and really hope that all turns out well. There's been some emails to and fro with the hotel on including an extra bed (as my package mentioned that I can include an extra bed and that it can accommodate up to 3 adults) but hopefully it won't be a mess at check-in. Staff so far has been helpful in prompt responses. Can't wait to get a full review on this and on the blog when I'm back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear natashaa_kim,

I appreciate that you have corresponded with our Assistant Reservation Manager about your booking. We will do everything we can to make your holiday dreams come true.

We are looking forward to welcoming you at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 days 3 nights, brought 3 year old daughter along.

Worth mentioning are:

1) we were very pleased to be offered a free upgrade to villa with pool. The room size was gorgeous.

2) front desk staff, Michelle, is extremely helpful & professional. She assisted me with the check in and understands that my daughter is in need of an afternoon nap. Hence advise that we could be back by 115pm- 130pm to check the status, thou it was before the official 2pm check in time. We returned to the lobby at 130pm and only to be curtly informed by a front desk male staff that my room will only be ready at 230pm as its a villa, needed more cleaning time. (I appreciate the free upgrade, however the official check in time is at 2pm irregardless of room type correct?)
Fortunately we saw Michelle back at the front desk in less than a few mins and requested her to assist us. without hesitation, she called the relevant management and the room was ready for us immediately. That was 145pm, 45 mins ahead of the time the front desk male staff advised. And that 45 mins is a god - send when u ve a kid in need of an afternoon nap. Michelle's helpfulness didn't stop there, she send us personally to the villa in the club car, showing us all the amenities along the way & showed me ard our villa b4 she made her way back to the lobby. Thumbs up for Michelle's personalised services!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ng M
Dear Ng M,

Thank you very much for providing a review of your stay.

I am pleased to read that Michelle was very helpful and delivered a professional and personalized service.

Hopefully we can welcome you back at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket in the future.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife, child, and I stayed here for a week.

We stayed in a deluxe spa room with the hot tub.

Room was nice, but not well designed. The bathroom was much too large. It was very crowded and not much space. Good balcony space.

View was awesome though. Watched sunsets from our room. Just awesome.

We ate most of our meals here going out to town infrequently. Food was good to very good. Very helpful restaurant staff.

The hotel did help arrange elephant rides for us. Other activities available.

The best thing about thus hotel was that it is right on the beach and the beach and water are awesome. Very clear water, can see the bottom well even at 2 meter depth. Wave action is awesome too. Calm seas until sets of 3 or 4 waves come in at one time being 2 ft to 4 ft waves. Lots of fun on body board.

The resorts' swimming pools were great also. Enjoyed all.

Shopping is 20 minutes away.

If you want to party, then maybe a hotel in town might be more convenient. If you want more beach. Then stay here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 561waynem
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Wayne M,

Thank you for staying with us at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket and for providing a review of your stay.

We are glad you enjoyed the view from your room, that the food was good, restaurant staff helpful and that you liked the location right on the beach. I also notice your feedback when it comes to the design of the room.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I wavered between two and three stars on this. We had two adjoining rooms with plunge pools, the most expensive accommodation on our trip and the one hotel we wouldn't go back to. Check in was a disaster and this was low season. We arrived about 1pm, knowing check in time was 2 and realising we might need to check our bags. There were thee people in front of us in a queue but we were asked to sit and told someone would check us in. We waited 20 minutes, the queue got longer so I decided to join it. After about 5 minutes I was told to sit back down and someone took our passports. Another 10 minutes later they came back with documentation to fill in and then 10 minutes later took me to the front desk. Just before I got there someone from the queue sat in my seat,so after confusion decided to serve them first. When I was seated they rang housekeeping no less than 5 times to see if the rooms were ready but of one answered. So we all sat there. My husband got a beer about this point so not all was lost. When they did get through to housekeeping the rooms were not ready. By this time it was after 2,and I was getting unhappy. We were told rooms would be an hour or so, so went for lunch worrying that we would have to go through this again when we got back.

Lunch was nice and luckily only one person in the queue when we got back. One room was ready so we had all the luggage delivered and they delivered the second key later in the day.

The room was oddly designed, quite small so you had to sit on the bed to watch the tv. Balcony was nice, with the plunge pool and plenty of outdoor furniture.

Breakfast was a large buffet but had insects and birds in some areas where food was not covered or there were not enough staff to keep them away.

The saving grace was the adult pool which was handy to our room, was clean, had great service and was not all that busy. The main pool also looked ok, but the water slides looked dirty and I didn't see them operational.

My overall impression was that the staff themselves were nice but the management need to look pretty hard at their processes.

Oh, check out was also a shambles,but it's making some great stories now we are home!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jillch
Dear jillch,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay.

I am glad you liked the adult pool and that my colleagues around the pool provided a great service. We are however very sorry to read that check in wasn't great and that the room did not meet your expectations. We are taking a number of steps to keep birds away from the breakfast. For example breadcrumbs have been put in the garden and food is now covered. I assure you that we are focusing on eliminating this inconvenience.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive to provide all guests with the perfect holiday experience, and I am very sorry to read that we did not manage to deliver the perfect holiday for you.

martin
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 9 nights in May and I must say we were not dissapointed, great rooms with a fantastic view and very well kept. The only downside was our shower flooded, however this only happened one time and it didnt really bother us a great deal. The buffet breakfast was the best I have ever seen in any hotel/resort I've been too. Would love to come back with the kids next time!!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Shondell A
CPBR-QualityManager, Manager at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Shondell A,

Thank you for providing a review of your stay.

It is a pleasure to read your comments about the buffet breakfast and that the room was great and had a fantastic view.

We would love to welcome you back at Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket.

Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Mandarava Resort and Spa
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to Centara Grand Beach Resort Phuket? Share your experiences!