“We just had to laugh”

Baumancasa Karon Beach Resort
Ranked #109 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We stayed here June 2012 I booked a pool side room for 1 adult 2 older children 16 years and 17 years names and ages on the booking. We arrive at the hotel late in the evening after they forgot to arrange transfers for us from the airport to a room that was the size of my garden shed. In the room we had a cot and a king size bed, as you can imagine my teenagers where in fits of laughter. The very nice doorman said he would be right back with a suitable bed for my son and hurried off with the cot. On his return he proceeded to drag the fold out over the king bed in the hope to fit where the cot was, hummmmmm not even close. Then the fun began, I requested a second room for my children, yes madam no problem, how much I asked, the response was disgusting. DOUBLE what I had paid for the first room. The reason I was given, last minute reservation no discount madam. I argued until I got a little off the price however after travelling from Australia I was seriously done and needed sleep.
The next day I tackled it again NO MADAM NOT SAME PRICE. finally after 45 mins I got a substantial amount off however not the same room rate I had booked 4 weeks earlier for the pool side family room with 1 adult 2 children. We stayed here 7 nights the food was discussion the staff rude, apart from the original doorman who meet us on arrival. The day spa is amazing and the staff in there are great. The Reception manager "female" RUDE reservation manager male "awesome" he arrived after we has been there 2 nights and could not be nicer. Moved my kids into an adjoining room and sent us a fruit basket. Very very nice. But still I book 1 pool side family room 1 adult 2 kids. The room had 1 bed 1 cot. I ended up paying for 2 rooms for 7 nights one of those rooms being almost double the original booked price. Poor service bad food mostly rude staff. Want go back.

Room Tip: Go next door
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Relle H

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed here with my teenage son for 10 days.We stayed in the rear building 5.It was a bit of a hike to reception and to the front of the hotel. Room was older but cleaned daily. Only 1 bottle of water not 2 as advertised and no mini-bar though that didn't bother me as they are usually overpriced anyway. Only powdered milk for tea/coffee. Beds were very firm but we slept quite well. Hotel was quiet and no night time noise. No transfers as advertised on their website. Pools on rooftops are very nice but we only used them once as were out and about so much. Breakfast was adequate - filling but not delicious. Did see a couple of little cockroaches at breakfast time. We seemed to be the only English speaking guests in the hotel during our stay. The other guests seemed to be predominately Russian and no offence but very unfriendly. If you smiled at them they looked at you as if you were from Mars and every time we were in the lift they would barge in and not let you out first. This happened every time!! Staff in dining room were unsmiling and looked miserable but the ones you could make eye contact with would smile back if your smiled at them. Female reception staff were unfriendly and definitely need some training in customer service however the male staff were helpful and would smile and be friendly. Hotel overall was quite good value. There was good and bad points about the hotel but overall I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Andrea T
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed for two nights with kids and found the location just right. Beach is just across the road and lot of eateries around. Would recommend for any travelers looking for good value.

Room Tip: Look for Pool facing room in Tower 4 or Sea facing ones in Tower 1.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Sunil D
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We booked this hotel via booking.com. We paid for two family rooms with 3pax icon online, which is supposingly meant that it's a room for 3pax. We also view the rooms at the online gallery, which the picture shows a queen bed and a single bed in each room. When we check in to the hotel on 23rd April 2012, we were asked to pay for the extra bed in the room. I argue with the reception that my booking is for 3pax to a room, but was yell at by the receptionist who insisted that we pay for the extra pax. Too tired to further argue, knowing that's it's not helping, I unhappily paid the extra. At first, the receptionist assign a deluxe room to us but I insisted I want the family room since we already paid for it. Then she just walked off, luckily one receptionist by the name Michelle came to attend to us and assign the family rooms to us. When we went to the room we found that the room contain one queen size bed and one single bed. The question now is, why do I have to pay for the extra bed when it's already there and it's a family room. The reception pointed out that the problem lies with booking.com for misleading us on the booking. We then the following days have problem with the cleanliness in our rooms, service from housekeeping was bad, and so is the cleanliness of the breakfast tables each morning. Waiters at the breakfast rooms point to the place where the forks and spoons were kept rather then to bring it to you, etc. Won't come back again. For the extras that I've been force to pay for the extra beds in each room, the rate for the rooms were not cheap!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank csfKuching_Sarawak
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and if you are looking for quieter location away from the madness of Patong beach then Karon beach is a good spot.
Patong beach is less than a 10 minute (100 Baht) cab ride down the road and the area around the hotel has enough in the way of restaurants, shopping and bars to keep you interested.
The Hotel itself is in 2 wings with the older area at the rear and the newer building at the front closer to the beach.
The beach is only a few minutes walk away being almost across the road from the newer front section of the hotel.
There is street next door to the hotel which has several restaurants and massage places which is quite handy and also a decent small market for shopping just up the street.
The rooms in the new hotel section were quite nice, not very big but nicely decorated, clean and have a safety box fitted in the room which is always handy for your valuables.
Breakfast is served on the roof area near the roof top pool and is the usual Thai hotel breakfast but they do cook a good omelette.
If you mange to get the rooms at a discounted price (check Agoda) then they represent good value for what you get.
This would be a good area for families since it is a little quieter and less crowded than Patong beach however the beach may not be the best place for very small children as there are signs posted that warn swimmers of the rips and currents in that area.
Overall a decent hotel with nice rooms and good friendly staff and I would not hesitate to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: All the rooms do have small balconys and the south side of the hotel may be a little cooler in summe...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Baz W
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Staying at Bauman Casa was quite okay. It was the only hotel here at Karon beach, which offered free internet. To my surprise to be honest I have gotten a good roomrate on walkin basis.

On booking.com the price was about 999 Baht, yet I paid only very little more at the counter. The staff was nice, the breakfast was okay and the rooms are clean. The hotel has a good location and is only a few meters away from the beach. There is still some construction work going on in the next building, but that didn't really hurt me.

I was happy to stay at Bauman Casa and yes, I would do it again. You get all the basics for a good price. Just do not expect some kind of resort, when you are not willing to pay much. People always tend to have high expectations and complain about everything, but if looking at the price you already know that you cannot expect a Bentley pickup service.

Room Tip: small balcony (2 seats), cable television with many foreign channels (russian, germany, italian etc...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank losemann
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights during our 6-week trip around SE Asia. After the 2 night stay, we loved it so much that we stayed for another 2 nights. A few weeks after this stay, we had some extra time in our travel schedule, so we elected to come back here and stay for 5 more nights.

There's so much to say about this hotel:

- The staff are very friendly and helpful.
- The rooftop pool is relaxing and the view is great. They keep the pool at a perfect temperature, not too cold, not too hot. (Beach towels are provided)
- Happy hour at the rooftop pool. Buy 1 get 2, most mixed drinks are around $2.50 each during this promotion.
- Free wifi (some rooms you can't get access inside, but the computers in the lobby are usually available and fast)
- Breakfast is pretty good. There's a variety of foods (eggs and sausage for Westerners, salad and noodle/rice dishes for Asians, and lots of fresh fruits and pastries) and the coffee is pretty decent too.
- Massage parlor down the street. They knew us by name after our stay there and welcomed us back when we returned the 2nd time.
- Beach is literally a stone's throw away. Just have to cross a road, but its not terribly busy.
- Fitness center with great views of the sea. Treadmills, bikes, cross-trainers, and free weights.
- Lots of cheap shopping and restaurants nearby within easy walking distance.

Karon Beach is the ideal location for someone interested in enjoying the sun, beach, and some shopping (couples and families). If you are into the partying/clubbing scene, you might be better served to stay somewhere in Pattong Beach. There is much more nightlife there.

The rooms are clean and very modern. Free bottles of water every day and a pretty good minibar. Staying at Baumancasa was truly the highlight of our trip and we will not hesitate to tell everyone we know who is visiting Phuket to make sure to stop by here.

Room Tip: During the off-season, use booking.com for reservations. We spent B999 a night vs B1199 at the desk...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Karl S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
Karon Princess Hotel
4 mi away
Aspery Hotel
Aspery Hotel
#91 of 331 in Patong

Been to Baumancasa Karon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!