I am a firm believer in, you get what you pay for, but was delighted to find out that at the karon Phunaka you got so much more.
We travelled to Thailand to meet with family for 10 and had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We stayed over the Christmas and New Year’s holiday and what first attracted me to this hotel is that it was the only place not to enforce buying tickets for the Christmas and New Year’s Galas. As it turned out we decided to attend both events and had a wonderful time at both. The service, food and entertainment were nothing short of outstanding and we were treated like royalty.
The hotel has a very nice pool that overlooks the resort at the hotel sits on the hill. There is a pool bar which serves a limited but lovely menu of Thai and international food. There aren't many sun loungers but the pool was never crowded. The restaurant was lovely too. Not too expensive and very lovely food.
Our room was wonderful and I understand that it was a typical room. The suits and rooms with private spa on the balcony were lovely too. We stayed in block 8 which was a bit of a climb but there is a cable car that will take you most of the way. While there were couples with young babies and children there I would say that the hotel has a lot of stairs so some people might find it hard work.
The staff at this hotel were wonderful and so unbelievably friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble and are only too happy to assist you in having a good holiday.
The location of the hotel is great. It's a short walk down into the resort but far enough away to not be bothered by it at night. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the beach but there is a shuttle that will run you down every half hour. The beach is lovely but can be crowded at times. If you face the sea and turn right, head down towards "Tonys" the beach gets less packed and Tonys is a great lunch time local eatery. There is also a toilet there which was the only one we found along the beach. Also there are fewer traders this end of the beach and they are generally don't bother you.
The resort it's self is fairly busy and bustling. There are lots of big hotel chains along the beach with restaurants which are fairly pricey, some of the best value eats were found in back streets and one was even right outside the hotel. Please don't eat at "Seafood @ Akron" worst meal I have ever paid for and when there are so many choices don't waste your time or money!
Shopping is good too if you are into that. Don’t buy from the beach front markets. It's is not owned by locals and you will pay over the odds. For cheap Thai buys (bags, t shirts, jewellery) head to the market on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the temple. Better prices and really nice atmosphere.
We also went on one trip up to the big budda and one to Piu Piu Island. Big budda is defo worth a visit but won't take you too long and Piu Piu Island is ok, but not really worth it. Endless boats pack with hundreds of tourists all follow the same route and it's not really that nice. If you do fancy a trip try a pick less popular bays and tours.
I would totally recommend this hotel if you visiting Akron and if we ever find ourselves in this part of the world we would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hide yourself away from the world in a hillside paradise in Phuket, Thailand. The individual villa-style buildings of the Karon Phunaka resort and spa are set amidst a lush forest and scattered down Naka Mountain in true tiered wedding-cake style. From every almost every point in the resort, you'll have sea views to die for, floor-to-ceiling windows in your Deluxe bedroom that bathe the room in natural sunlight and a balcony with your own private Jacuzzi tub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Karon Phunaka Hotel Karon
- Karon Phunaka Resort And Spa Phuket