“Great times, great hotel.”

Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa
Ranked #74 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I am a firm believer in, you get what you pay for, but was delighted to find out that at the karon Phunaka you got so much more.
We travelled to Thailand to meet with family for 10 and had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We stayed over the Christmas and New Year’s holiday and what first attracted me to this hotel is that it was the only place not to enforce buying tickets for the Christmas and New Year’s Galas. As it turned out we decided to attend both events and had a wonderful time at both. The service, food and entertainment were nothing short of outstanding and we were treated like royalty.
The hotel has a very nice pool that overlooks the resort at the hotel sits on the hill. There is a pool bar which serves a limited but lovely menu of Thai and international food. There aren't many sun loungers but the pool was never crowded. The restaurant was lovely too. Not too expensive and very lovely food.
Our room was wonderful and I understand that it was a typical room. The suits and rooms with private spa on the balcony were lovely too. We stayed in block 8 which was a bit of a climb but there is a cable car that will take you most of the way. While there were couples with young babies and children there I would say that the hotel has a lot of stairs so some people might find it hard work.
The staff at this hotel were wonderful and so unbelievably friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble and are only too happy to assist you in having a good holiday.
The location of the hotel is great. It's a short walk down into the resort but far enough away to not be bothered by it at night. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the beach but there is a shuttle that will run you down every half hour. The beach is lovely but can be crowded at times. If you face the sea and turn right, head down towards "Tonys" the beach gets less packed and Tonys is a great lunch time local eatery. There is also a toilet there which was the only one we found along the beach. Also there are fewer traders this end of the beach and they are generally don't bother you.
The resort it's self is fairly busy and bustling. There are lots of big hotel chains along the beach with restaurants which are fairly pricey, some of the best value eats were found in back streets and one was even right outside the hotel. Please don't eat at "Seafood @ Akron" worst meal I have ever paid for and when there are so many choices don't waste your time or money!
Shopping is good too if you are into that. Don’t buy from the beach front markets. It's is not owned by locals and you will pay over the odds. For cheap Thai buys (bags, t shirts, jewellery) head to the market on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the temple. Better prices and really nice atmosphere.
We also went on one trip up to the big budda and one to Piu Piu Island. Big budda is defo worth a visit but won't take you too long and Piu Piu Island is ok, but not really worth it. Endless boats pack with hundreds of tourists all follow the same route and it's not really that nice. If you do fancy a trip try a pick less popular bays and tours.
I would totally recommend this hotel if you visiting Akron and if we ever find ourselves in this part of the world we would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank redchristie
KaronPhunaka, Secretary/Management team at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Dear redchristie,

Thank you so much that you selected our resort for your stay in Karon, Phuket. I believed that all of you made many people living around you happy too during your time in Phuket

And we’re happy that you like our resort. 4 years before in the beginning of the project to build a resort, with Sea View fascination, the management tried really hard to find location where everybody can stay in boutique resort, spacious room / unique design, not just look like an apartment-plan square shape building, with expansive sea view to every room terrace, yet not so far from Karon beach- one of top famous beaches of Phuket- pearl of Andaman Sea.

And we found this location “Naka mountain” which later became name of the resort – “Karon Phunaka Resort & Spa” The many steps may annoy those who rarely walk or have problem with legs. But I believe it must help to make you healthier in some way.

About day trip, actually Maya bay- Phi Phi is quite fantastic place, but in high season, I think there are too many tourists going there. And big boat always tries to take tourist as much as possible. For people who like to go, I suggest a speed boat with smaller group of people- not so expensive. Or there are many yachts at Chalong bay that you can rent and cruise along the Andaman Sea.

And finally, I really like your smart tip about how to select location to relax on the beach. It is the best location, not crowded, not so far from public toilet, and not so far from the local restaurants. [Toilet is not located close to the restaurants]

Hope you have fantastic trip and always find more and more fun activities every time you go vacation. If you have anything that we can assist in future, please feel free to contact us. We are more than happy to hear from you.

Warmest regards,

Executive Secretary / Karon Phunaka

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed for 4 nights with my wife and infant. Impressive looking resort on a hill was the initial reaction as we were being driven to the resort. As it was on the hill, there are quite a lot of steps so it is not the most baby-stroller-friendly place, anyway we used a baby carrier most of the time. Great views of Karon and the beach/sea from almost all parts of the resort. Pool was a good size with massaging jets in 1 corner and a pool bar at the other corner.

Location, it is a 10-15 mins walk through residential area to the restaurants and shops and about 15-20 mins walk to Karon beach. For the beach, the hotel provides scheduled transportation, check with front desk for timing. It is about 20 mins taxi ride to shopping center like Jungceylon in Patong, costing about 300-400 baht.

Breakfast was good quality but variety just about adequate. We had 1 dinner at the resort, felt that the restaurants outside were better. Some good restaurants that we tried were Ging (near old Phuket hotel, beach side), red onion & bamboo kitchen. For red onion and bamboo kitchen, once you walk out of the residential area, turn right and walk down, should be within 5 mins.

Service given was very welcoming, always receiving smiles. The only problem we had during our stay was with our key card which failed us twice on the same day. Once after a swim, standing half-naked outside our room unable to get in and after we came back from dinner and shopping, baby was cranky and we were tired and frustrated. Staff were apologetic and a fruit basket given for our inconvenience. These things happen, problem was resolved, let's move on.

Overall very pleasant stay, things we will remember would be that 45 degree outdoor lift that brings us to our room. The views of Karon/beach/sunset. The very friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HappyBingo
KaronPhunaka, Executive Secretary at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Dear HappyBingo,

Thank you so much for your helpful comment! I really feel good to read comment from Sea View Lover like you! Everything about this resort is inspired by Andaman Sea View fascination. Because we are among top list of Sea View Lovers! We selected location nestled on the hill. We build private terrace for every room, facing with the expansive Andaman Sea! You can see the azure sea view when you wake up in the morning. You can swim in our infinity pool with deep blue Andaman Sea View in day time. And you can enjoy the sunset in the evening from your private terrace. Plus we build spacious room with big slide door. When you open it, you will immediately feel the sea breeze. You will feel like you’re living close to the Andaman Sea.

And we get some, lose some. The location brings best Sea View to us, but we may need a little bit more attempt. So we build 45 degree lift escalating from down to top, and of course you can enjoy Sea View while you’re standing in this glass wall lift as well. And for the electronic card to open your room, I feel apologize on this. Most of hotel nowadays use key card. We selected the best company as we can find here, but sometime the error occurred. We will keep finding solution for this problem.

Thank you so much for your comment. And if there are some more things you would like us to change, please tell us. We love to hear from everybody

Reviewed 19 October 2011

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa and just stumbled upon it by accident when making a last minute internet booking - and so glad we did. The staff, rooms, restaurant, service, location and everything about the resort was excellent. We had a car but did walk down to Karon restaurants/shops and back again and to my surprise was an easy walk. Everything you needed was supplied in your room and staff could not do enough for you. Would highly recommend this resort and was sad to leave.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor on the western end so had views over Karon town and beach. If you do not w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ANNE H
KaronPhunaka, Executive Secretary/Management team at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear ANNE H,

I personally feel exciting when I see the title “Excellent Resort” of your review. Thank you so much for your complements. And again, I like your tip very much. It’s really practical and useful. Karon Phunaka is boutique, plus unique hotel here in Karon. There are more to discover in our resort. I hope to see some more tips soon! Hope you think about us when you come back to Karon- Phuket. We will be more than happy to welcome you again.

Warmest regards,

Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa

Reviewed 10 October 2011

2night 3 day stay.

Staff:
The staff are kind and helpful. They help to carry our bag, recommend us what place is nice to visit. They also help to arrange for transport to sightseeing around. Tried to help to find a solution for any encountered. They always have a big smile on their face and ever ready to help you out in pinch.

Room:
A clear view of the city. Equipped with a balcony for one to relax and sit around for a chat/smoke. They also have food and drinks ready for u at reasonable price in the fridge and around the table. In the toilet general toiletries are provided, a bathtub with a window that can be close for one to watch the tv while relaxing in the tub. bathrobe, beach towel and bag are also provided in the room.

Free internet for the laptop for provided via ethernet wire. The price are quite reasonable.

Facilities
They have 2 lift connecting to the whole resort. As this resort is located on the hill, the slope are quite steep and could be a good workout for gym freaks.
They got a super amazing pool with a amazing city view and what more, with a pool side bar. even though the cocktail drink are quite limited.
Also they have gym facilities, squash court(currently unavailable), and spa and a in-resort restaurant and a view look for sunset and sunrise. Never managed to try all the facilities due to too short a stay there.

Lobby:
A great lobby is a Great way to help traveller enjoy the place. with a bunch of sofa for people to use Wi-Fi. it also has some rocking chair and a weather report TV to keep people notified about the place weather condition..

Restaurant:
Great variety of food, nice taste and good atmosphere. Friendly waitress and fast service.
Breakfast buffet have quite a spread and unique variety of food, they change menu of breakfast everyday, though some stuff stay.

Cons:

There is no Wifi in the room.
Only one lift is in use for transporting people to their level.
Most facilities close early, around 7pm

Conclusion,
it a good experience, a good resort recommended for couple, a must-stay place, if u travel to phuket alot.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ChengXi
KaronPhunaka, Executive Secretary/Management team at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Even you titled it “Just a review” I found it quite in details and truly another helpful review. Thank you very much. We’re glad that you enjoyed time in room with facilities provided and the spectacular sea view.

From every room’s terrace in Karon Phunaka, you will see Andaman Sea view which is amazing in day time, and don’t forget to see the left and the right side of our resort, you will also see the green forest view. If you notice the left side of the resort [when you standing facing the sea], you’ll see the Big Buddha of Phuket from your terrace. Beside that please come out at the terrace at night, you’ll see the scene of the whole Karon city with hundred of lights.

And once again, thank you for your suggestions about outlets and facilities. We’ll keep trying to make it excellent to lift up our service and quality standard.

My best regards,

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stay there for 3d2n with my friends. Departure from Singapore in the morning at 0800hrs. Arrived at the hotel around 1120am (Phuket local time) with approx. 1hr travelling from Airport. Some of the cabbies do not know the location but still able to find the place with providing the hotel address. The hotel is near to Karon Beach, approx. 10mins walking distance to the hotel. This hotel will make you feel like you are the VIP, somehow like a president. The place is huge till you are required to take 2 elevators, 1 is from lobby to 2nd floor and transfer to 4 more levels with 45-degrees elevator. That kind of elevator is indeed an eye opening for my friends and I. I thought the highest is 2nd floor as the female staff, who has a position of Guest Service Agent, YingYing, told me that's the highest floor when I had entered to the 1st elevator. It is also my first time to being escorted to my hotel room and was introduced to the room facilities. The balcony is the place for a WOW-experienced to be viewed. Currently, some part of hotel is still under construction (probably expanding), there's some inconvenience may caused. If you are staying the same building and a youngster like me will be probably climbing down the stairs for some exercising where it is a long way down. Swimming pool (with bar) at level 2 is also a great view for the scenery especially by witnessing the sunrise and sunset; swimmers can sit near the bar (in the pool) when having cocktails. For those who have laptops and planning to bring over, you should have a laptop with Ethernet port, unlike me who bring Macbook air (forgetting to bring USB Ethernet Port Adapter) so I have to go to the lobby to use the wireless which is free-of-charge. There's also laptop rental available at the lobby but with limited sets. Come to food, breakfast, not much varieties but still not bad. I prefer the food that is served as a la-carte which is more tasty but kinda a bit of expensive. The attractions nearby like Karon/Patong Beach, Karon/Kata View Point, Laem Promthep, Jungceylon (Shopping) @ Patong, Patong Market, etc... Overall, this is superb enjoyable relaxing trip for my friends and I having our time there. Not forgetting making new friends with the hotel staff, who are the F&B Manager, YingYing (Guest Service Agent), Rosecy (Guest Service Agent), Wat (Swimming Pool's Bar), Bell-boy and many others (too many to be listed).

Room Tip: End block of Building 8's view is wonderful! But it faced directly to the sunset where there'...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kyroskoh

Thank you very much for your review. Comments from TripAdvisor have been sent to every units; management team and staffs. I believe that all of the ladies and the gentlemen you mentioned above are very happy and even work harder now. It is quite sunny today. 5 minutes ago, I was standing at the swimming pool facing the expansive blue Andaman Sea which is quite beautiful today after rain left the island 2 days ago.

And thank you so much for your tip about good place to see the sunset. I’ll go check it this evening. Must be stunning. And about the drivers from airport, as we are brand new hotel, some drivers may not be familiar. It would help if you print out map of hotel from the hotel website; category location. It is quite practical map. or please tell them our hotel is located behind “ Wat Karon School"-local name, it would help as well.

My best regards

Reviewed 27 September 2011

4 nights stay. Food (dinner, not breakfast) is very nice although a bit expensive than outside restaurants. You have to change two elevators and climb a few stairs to reach your room. There is a special 45 degree elevator! Large room, great view especially the sunset! Good service! My friend and I both like the smiling lady in the reception (Sorry, didn't remember her name). It is much better if has WIFI in the room. One last thing to the hotel management, can have a few stairs at the hotel entrance? It is very difficult for walking especially in the raining day...Some cars don't want to climb that steep hill.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KKSG57
KaronPhunaka, Pasara Puthamat, Executive Secretary at Karon Phunaka Resort & Spa at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Thank you very much for your input and great to know that you were enjoyed staying in room with stunning sea view. It fascinated me too. Sometimes I work late as just waiting to see the fantastic sunset. The hill, hotel entrance, we’ll build a rail to help it easier to walk up and down soon. And Wi-Fi, we tried to fit it in room before, but later found that LAN internet is more stable and greater speed on this location. And we do understand some people nowadays using android telephone, so we tried to find a Wi-Fi connection point for them and Lobby is the best place. And of course, it’s free.
And for the smiling lady at the front desk, I can’t figure out which one that you mentioned cuz every time I see them, all of them are smiling. I'll tell them what you said. And I think all of them will smile bigger.

With warmest regards,
Pasara

Reviewed 18 September 2011

Just stay 3 nights in this resort, staff are nice but the service level still far from chain hotel even the room price of Phunaka may higher.

Location are great, view is excellent, free internet available and LAN cable just in the room.

Unfortunately, the life connecting different level of building is out of service, it totally a mess for our family with 2 babies.......no one provide solution until I request to swap a lower level building to stay.

Breakfast, almost the same in the 3 days, don't give your expectation on that.

Laptop is available for rent but seems very limited. Around 10 mins walk to the Karon main street, many choice of restaurant, but I don't think it is a good idea to back to resort by walk.

According to my travel partner's speaking: Good hardware for this resort, but poor software.

Room Tip: Don't pick the day when the lift are out of service! Golf car is unavailable to sent you to the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DonaldWong
KaronPhunaka, Pasara Puthamat/Executive Secretary at Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

My apologies for the experience you had to have had last week, we expected none of our guests to have experienced it. We take this seriously and have looked into your stay, please forgive our ladies that they may try too hard to coordinate with the technician of the lift’s company to fix the problem in Sunday. Waiting the report from the technician delayed them to offer you moving to new room, which would cause you more uncomfortable to move your stuffs unnecessary if the lift operation can resumed shortly after. Not to blame the too much rain lasting about 2 week, but it affected our outdoor life in some way.

We have 2 laptops for rent and up until now there are few customers asking for it. If there are more laptop rental requires in the future, we will have it more for our customers. Anyhow, if guests have their telephone that can connect to the internet, they can use the internet within lobby area… Please notice the Wi-Fi sign. Password is provided for everyone for free there.

Again I apologies that we did not live up to your expectation. Hope you have many nice days ahead.

Regards,

Pasara

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
CC's Hideaway
Kalima Resort & Spa
#65 of 387 in Kathu
Crest Resort & Pool Villas
Karon Sea Sands Resort & Spa

Been to Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!