“Perfect”

Karon Phunaka Resort and Spa
Ranked #69 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We decided to spend a few days at Karon as whilst we wanted to be near to the crowds we didn't want to be in the midst of them.

This resort is nested on a mountain and it overlooks Karon beach. It's a 15 min walk from the beach although the hotel provides a free one way shuttle to the beach every hour on the hour from 10:00 until 15:00.

We had a corner room with a jacuzzi which was fantastic. Pattong, the tourist mecca is only a short taxi ride (300 baht) away. Phuket old town is about 45 min away and costs 600 baht.

When we arrived we were greeted at the reception with cold towels and a local juice which is delicious and ice cold.

The hotel is a luxurious hotel.

Our room was fab with a mosquito net and an aircon. The mini bar wasn't as cheap as the other hotel but it was affordable.

The only downside was that the jacuzzi needed filling regularly. That being said the resort is nestled on a mountain so a few bugs made their way into the water but it's not like there was a plague.

We arranged a trip to Fanta Sea through the hotel and our airport transfer without a hitch.

Our wake up call was spot on.

The breakfasts are buffet with the eggs made on demand. The restaurant food was good yet not exciting. There are restaurants a stones throw away which continue right onto the beach should you wish to get out.

The resort, being on a mountain has very steep roads and there are 2 lifts. The 1st takes you to the vernacular lift which takes you to the level where your room is situated. Your baggage is brought up by golf carts.

This is a great romantic breakaway close to the crowds without having to be engulfed by them.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I have stayed here numerous times in 2012. I am not sure what happened here but it has deteriorated, the service is poor, the non-existent internet, when it does work, is slower than in Afghanistan, where I work. The power went intermittently off, which I understand does happen, same with internet, but when calling to ask for status NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING. How do so many people here KNOW NOTHING? If I had the time I would check out and go somewhere else, but now my "vacation" is almost over and I feel ripped off and cheated for the only time I have off from working in a war zone. I only get 4 times a year for a day off and I have spent most of this "vacation" of 10 days frustrated and wondering why NO ONE knows anything. Please do not waste your energy on this formerly nice hotel. The room smelled musty and old, there was mold in the shower, the bed is like a brick, maybe time to invest in some new mattresses, and NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING. So next time I come to Phuket I will not stay here again. There are plenty of other hotels to choose from, and I will choose another. I no longer have internet in my room to book my flight so will have to lug my pc all over hoping for a connection. Over priced for what you get. Never thought I would say I can't wait to get back to work, in a war zone, but I can't wait.
peace.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

The Phunaka is set overlooking Karon village and ocean, and provides a nice change of pace from the hustle and bustle of the Patong chain hotels, and offers a calming environment.

We stayed in a deluxe room which was on level 4, you arrive on the ground level, then get a lift to the 1st floor, then change to a funicular lift which takes you up to your level, ours was the top level.

Rooms are spacious and include both bath and shower, day bed, mini bar, AC, plenty of luggage space and of course stunning views across the village and ocean. The deluxe rooms have jacuzzis but take at least an hour to fill so plan ahead!

The Phunaka restaurant offers a good buffet breakfast and overlooks the waterfall, they do 'all you can eat' dinners, Monday was Thai, Wednesday is pasta night, and cooking classes on the same day around lunchtime.

The real show stopper is the pool and view, try resisting a sunset dip!

A good choice of boutique hotels, set in quiet setting, if your chasing busy lobbies, lots of tourists to interact with and high end luxury, try the Hilton instead, this hotel provides a lovely local Thai experience.

Room Tip: Try getting the lift up to your room and walking down, the stairs offer a fantastic view heading dow...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dasberliner
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed here 4days with my parents. Almost staff are kindly, but if you can speak Thai a little bit,
you can communicate with them. Room is very clean, and we can see wonderful ocean view and sunset from room.
It's take 15~20 minutes to walk from Hotel to the Karon Beach. During day time is so hot, but we take Hotel's umbrella, it's useful. It is located side of the mountain, it's really quiet around there.
If you have a lot of laundry, there is good laundry near the hotel. The price is 1kg=40Baht, and laundry's staff are kindly.
From lobby to room, we took two elevator, it's take 5 minutes. I felt quite far from room to lobby.
Breakfast buffet is almost same everyday, but not so bad.
My parents liked swimming pool. They relax at pool side chair, and swim.
I recommed here who likes quiet and relax. We really relax at there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Very good location. Remote and quiet with excellent view over Karon and the beach.
Only 5 minute walk to the main street of Karon, with all the restaurants, bars, massage, shopping.............. and about 10 to 15 minutes walk to the beach (free bus transfer available, but I never used it as I always enjoyed the little walk to and from the beach)
Rooms are big, furniture is nice and the room is clean.
Private Balcony with a large sofa and jacuzzi is brilliant!!
Breakfast Buffet is up to standard with with a selection of Asian and European dishes. Some items change on daily base to keep it interesting for the guests.
Service is friendly and attentive!
As no hotel in Karon has a private beach, I would highly recommend this resort, if you do not mind a little walk, unless you need a hotel directly at the beach.
If I should come back to Phuket I will definitely come back to Phunaka Resort & Spa!!(if I get a similar room rate:))

1  Thank HJF65
Reviewed 23 February 2013

If you're looking for a good resort to stay in but don't want to spend the money for a beach front resort I can recommend Karon Phunaka Resort. My wife and I stayed in the Superior Room which was very nice, spacious, clean, nice balcony with jacuzzi and view of the beach from afar. The staff is very good and friendly and always say hello with a smile of their face. The pool is very nice with a wet bar and nice view. The restaurant is decent. The location is OK and within walking distance from many places to eat, laundry facilities, massage parlors (not the happy ending kind), and about a 15 minute walk to the beach. They offer free transportation to the beach but not back.

They get one star deducted because the bed was too firm. I mean very firm, it was like sleeping on the ground. Also, depending on your neighbors at the resort, it can get a little noisy.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

My partner and I stayed her in Feb 2013. We had an average experience id say. We were on the 6th level (370+ stairs we counted up and another 370 down form our room) we are young and fit and didnt mind the hike each day but can see how others would struggle, We were disappointed to arrive after 2pm and find our room still not ready! We ate in the restaurant for dinner/lunch onloy twice and were appauled with the service, despite being the only people in there both times staff ignored us while they sat around cahtting with their backs to us, we had to chase them to order drinks/meals/desserts which we found very disappointing. Meals were nice but small for the expense you paid. Staff also seemed to have difficulty understanding english on several occasions. The room was lovely though, we had a deluxe spa room and were really impressed by it, and the pool was also a highlight,

1  Thank sezzyjade