“Very tranquil and relaxing place”

Centara Villas Phuket
Ranked #35 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a week after three days in Bangkok. What a relief after the ever busy Bangkok. Very decent villas sank in tropical greenery. Breathtaking sea views from every point of the hotel. Polite and helpful personal. There are two very exotic pools where you can have nice cocktails and even double them during the happy hour and enjoy the view above the bay and Karon beach. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank George T
Centaravillasphuket, Manager at Centara Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your positive rating and kind comments.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Safe Travels
from the Centara Villas Team!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The end of a nice trip of mothers and daughters was topped off with our last stay in the villas. We had asked for nice place to stay at a beach in Phuket, money not really being too much of an object. Our agent booked us here. Looked ok on internet, however, beds were the worst I've ever stayed in, a thin mattress on platform, linens soiled and front desk staff the most unhelpful and condescending I've ever encountered in a resort hotel. We had traveled for 2 weeks in Thailand and Cambodia and had wonderful breakfast, but here it was less than average. I am 64 and could handle all the steps, though anyone with any physical issues might have a problem. I have to say that this last stay sort of left a bad taste in our mouths for our whole trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank crs332014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Centara Villas.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment.
We will work harder as a team to improve and hope one day you would return.
Safe Travels and thank you for your feedback
from the Centara Villas Phuket Team.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Yes I know, on a hill/cliff, steep steps to the lobby Edmund Hilary would of been proud to conquer, a long walk to Karon via the cliff path and in reality one way. Some of the staff haven't the best grasp of English. These aspects you can easily accept and live with, you can see by the website and reviews this is the case and of course it is Thailand. No issues there.
Moving on. If you read the reviews closely you will obviously no doubt deduce there two levels of rooms, shame I didn't endeavour to ascertain this prior to booking. The spa and pool rooms would appear to be quite nice, however ours and the majority are dated and desperately in need of renovation. The linen was marked and stained, clearly very old, a hard and uncomfortable bed, no duvet, just sheets. No a/c in bathroom, the shower, toilet, sink were badly stained, grubby and dated. The shower had no power and in general the bathroom was grubby with clear signs of leaking, not pleasant to use. Don't look behind the blinds!!
The décor is very old, the cupboards and wardrobe poor quality and dated, similar to residing in a 1950's prefabricated chalet. The view from the veranda was obscured by overgrown Palm leaves, which I cut down, although gardening is not my speciality.
The lock on room flimsy, doesnt fill you with confidence, leakage marks in wardrobes etc. and the a/c not particularly effective, god help you in August.
Very old buggies to foyer that had to wait on occasions 15 mins for, although 4 mins was a record and only having two, they will of course be busy.
We had building work in the lower pool area for the duration if our stay, they were knocking down the bar and replacing it. Unbelievable, complained about it and we were offered transport to go to other Centara in Karon, but essentially booked this for the view not to be shipped off elsewhere on a daily basis. It really Should of been carried out not in peak pool hours, but late afternoon and early evening. I know it has to be done, but when the pool area is full? Just bad timing I guess on our part.
Only two transport runs into patong/karon at much too early a time in the evening, 17:30, no return transport. One trip was on a truck, enjoy!!!!!
Breakfast offering very average, mainly warm not hot and a limited choice.
Lunch food by the pool, very poor, cold Panini's and the club sandwich was a joke.
No staff came round to enquire about orders whilst you lay by the pool, we had to go up to the bar each time and there is no information regarding the happy hours at the bar or pool and no clock at the bar doesn't help. Very dated pool bar, take a look at the old buffet area behind the bar, cant understand why they still don't use it, must of been great in the 70's and also not overly keen on the cockroach in my cocktail glass, which the staff didn't seem to understand my concern.
Most staff very good, but some are quite sullen, very unusual for Thais! Pok is a great guy, really tries to help, felt for him, an uphill struggle here in more ways than one.
The bell boys, wow, those guys deserve a medal and certainly a large tip, did a magnificent job with the luggage, smiled too, amazing, good guys.
There is no atmosphere in the hotel, most guests look so disappointed they are staying there and I guess mentally calculating how much they paid for a supposed 4* hotel, that wipes the smile off anyone's face.
I can only presume the spa villas are much better, didn't take a look, but judging by the positive reviews, they must be quite nice.
The week prior to this we stayed at the Westin in Siray Bay, that was a fantastic hotel, very nice, a fantastic start to the holiday and amazingly it was cheaper!!!
I've been to Thailand over 50 times and this was the first time I have ever been disappointed with a hotel here, so no I am not naïve and do have a grasp of the standards of hotels in Thailand and indeed the Far East, so I base my comments on quite an extensive experience of the Thai market.
For the amount we paid it was shocking, I really wouldn't pay half of what we paid, have a stay in the Westin or the Holiday inn resort Patong, these are both miles better and cheaper.
I will certainly not return here under any circumstance, a real waste of money, made worse by the building work.
Took some explaining to my partner, her first visit to Thailand and couldn't comprehend the difference between this and the Westin, especially as this was the more expensive. If you are not too concerned about the views and want a good, clean, basic hotel , try the Holiday Inn Express in Patong
Next year we shall return, it certainly doesn't put me off Phuket, the people, food, views, weather and atmosphere are great, but just to any other hotel, not this. Needs totally renovating but sold as a top class hotel which it certainly isn't.
Reality is, I doubt many would return at half the price to the standard rooms, totally ruined the holiday after a fabulous week at the Westin. Had we not prepaid we would not of stayed more than one night.
No gym(aware of this prior to arrival) , ancient sunbeds, took a picture of a broken one by the pool, a collapsed one, along with another broken one that a maintenance guy spent an hour repairing at 2 o'clock, more banging etc, not a place to unwind. 50% of the loungers had comfortable mattresses the others were thin, plastic covered old uncomfortable ones that people constantly tried to swop!
The towel situation also needs addressing, this is meant to be a top hotel, paranoid about people making off with their yellow towels, some quite tatty. Plastic tickets with your room numbers that you have to hand in for your one towel, don't ask for two, that would appear to be in the same category as treason!! Really, is this in a "top" hotel 2014 or in infant school, maybe they should sew the hotels name in!!
This hotel really needs money spending on, but won't be back to see the result!
If you are considering staying here, please choose a spa room, or alternatively bring a stiff upper lip or big shoes, a red nose, a squirty plastic flower, braces and some red make up!!

Room Tip: A spa room or another hotel?
5  Thank Sabqi62

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at Centara Villas.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment.
We will work harder as a team to improve and hope one day you would return.
Safe Travels and thank you for your feedback
from the Centara Villas Phuket Team.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Arrived here on the 27th December after 4 days in Bangkok. What a change in pace, and what a place. Booking in at reception was a breeze where we were given a complimentary drink in a coconut! A little while later we were then escorted to a little Tuk Tuk to transport us down to our villa. It took us down a narrow winding road with about three hairpin bends before stopping right outside our villa. Our cases were already there. Our apartment or villa was very nice. Tastefully decorated, spacious with a very large and comfortable bed and on suite bathroom with plenty of storage space, flat screen TV, over head fan, air conditioning and coffee & tea making facilities etc perfect!
It had been dark when we arrived and so didn't get to appreciate the wonderful setting of the place until the next morning when we woke to the sound of birds singing in the trees and we wandered out on to the balcony and discovered we were in the midst of what looked like a sub tropical rain forest such was the luxuriant vegetation all around us! The sea not far away visible through the trees. A quick phone call to reception and the Tuk Tuk promptly arrived to whisk us back up the hill to breakfast. There was a huge buffet style spread on offer for breakfast which catered for all tastes. Eating fresh fruit, cereals and egg and bacon whilst looking across at the splendid view of Karon Beach and feeding bits of bread to the local Myna birds was an experience I wont forget.
The Centara Villas are situated on the side of a hill between Patong and Karon. To get to Patong by Taxi or Tuk Tuk costs you 300 Baht, Karon 200 Baht. Karon takes about 5 minutes, Patong 10 - 15 minutes depending on the traffic. We often strolled from our villa along a pathway down to Karon beach which takes about 10 -15 minutes. The beach is golden sand with the sea temperature a very agreeable 29 degrees! We had a full body massage one day on the beach which I thoroughly recommend you do while your here, very relaxing. We tried to hire a car shortly after arriving and was told there were none left, fully booked. As it was nearly new year when a lot of Thai people have a break and come to the Island they were all gone. We had to wait until after the new year the second of Jan before one became available! So if you want to hire a car, book early!
There are two small swimming pools in the grounds, which were both really nice. Only once around the upper pool were all the sunbeds taken. You can order drinks and snacks which are brought down to you by the pool. After 2.30pm its happy hour so double Cosmopolitans by the pool - very nice! Our stay at the Centara Villas was on a bed and breakfast basis, but on some evenings when we couldn't be bothered to go into town we ate in the restaurant. The choice is good and the food was excellent, the price was pretty good as well although unlike when we ate in town they added tax and a 10% service charge to the bill which pushed it up a bit, but figured we would be paying an extra 400 - 600 baht on the taxi had we gone into town anyway. Some nights the service in the restaurant was excellent, other nights a bit slow, I think it depended on which staff were on that evening. Again this wasn't a massive issue as we were in holiday mode and time spent drinking a cold beer watching the squid boats fishing out in the bay wasn't a hassle.
Our time at the Centara Villas was very memorable, a tranquil oasis which I would recommend to anyone. However, having said that it probably would not suit people who dislike walking up steps or who are a little infirm! This was our first time in Phuket it will definitely not be the last.

2  Thank JustinHarris

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your positive rating and kind comments.
Safe Travels
from the Centara Villas Team!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a 4* property and lives up to its 4* status. I did not have any problems at check in and the reception staff were friendly to us. On the check out forever they definitely needed more staff as there were other guests waiting and I think in busy times it probably overwhelms them.

We had a pool villa which was good. The patio area and pool were of a good size, uninterrupted view of the sea and the beach from an elevated position, no complaints there! The room was good but it was just good. Not sure if it was one of the refurbed rooms or not but it was simple. Always clean though but we did have to request fresh sheets and towels each night.

The resort is quite hilly and being at the bottom and with my husbands bad knee we did make use of their tuk tuk service to/from reception. I had heard other guests complain about this not coming but they came immediately everytime we phoned and were so friendly. Maybe something to do with them seeing my husbands manchester united tshirt..

It was our honeymoon and they had a bottle of champagne on ice waiting in our room and each member of staff throughout the resort remembered us and chatted with us. The breakfast was great such choice and good quality. We ate dinner there a few times which was good all be it pricey.

We went to Karon or Patong each night (taxi is required) which was great fun.

The loctaion of the hotel is great for what we wanted. Peace and quiet in a good quality resort and that is exactly what we got. A little haven compared to the hotels in Patong!!

There is a walk down to the beach but it was no problem for us, even with the bad knee. You use the Centara Grands beach sun loungers and parasols but they do go quickly. Beach is great perfect for swimming and snorkling.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel. Close to the brilliant madness of Patong but in a great secluded and lush green area.

Thankyou for a great stay!

3  Thank RachaelS20
Centaravillasphuket, Manager at Centara Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying at Centara Villas Phuket.
We appreciate your feedback and take on board all your comments constructively.
I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay and will work on our improvements.
Your feedback will be shared with the team.
kind regards
from the Centara Villas Team

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is so special and will always remain in my heart and memory. My traveling companion got a cerebral hemmorage while in the hotel. They did everything to get us an ambulance, take me to the hospital, make sure I was safe as I was alone, and treated me like family. MAy you never have an emergency such as this but there would have been no place better than at this hotel to take care of that need. This hotel is beautiful, with views abundant, great breakfast, lunch and dinner facilities,. I used the spa, the pool is so beautiful and there's an easy walk to the beach. I will always remember my stay, which turned out to be more days than anticipated. THANK YOU ALL FOR SAVING BRAIN'S LIFE.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean.
2  Thank Teachermom1952
Centaravillasphuket, Front Office Manager at Centara Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Guest,

We certainly appreciate your thank you letter in regard to "saving a life".

It was a human to human reaction a personal response to help and to provide comfort in your emergency and I am glad, as we all were, the outcome was successful and all is well.

Thank you for your kind comments,as well, for our resort, food and atmosphere during your visit.

Yours sincerely,

the staff at Centara Villas.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The views from Centara are stunning. I will start with this positive point as it was the highlight of my stay. Centara Grand offers its customers a unique setting where villas are speckled throughout the hillside overlooking the ocean. If you are paying for a private villa, you can be assured that you will receive the privacy you are paying for.

The privacy is wonderful but the overall layout of the resort made me feel quite trapped. THe day I stayed there it was raining on and off - at any resort a rainy day will make it more difficult to venture around - but due to the steep and narrow pathways of the resort, I found it not to be just difficult but also dangerous. Also, add a blanket of thick darkness blanketing your walk and slippery spots from the rain. If you are hungry and you just want to grab a quick snack you can't just hop out your room and venture out of the resort...it's quite a procedure to get "out" of the resort...especially in the evening. I found that during the day it was easier and safer to get around but in the evening with the rain and darkness - you are very dependent on the resort for a buggy to take you from your villa to the main lobby. Once at the main lobby you then must figure out a mode of transportation to pretty much anywhere you are going. As others have mentioned, the main road is also very dark, narrow and somewhat dangerous for walkers in the evening. So anywhere you want to go, you gotta take some kind of tuk tuk or taxi. So once again you are dependent on the resort for a taxi or you try to flag down a tuk tuk (which you think would be much cheaper - but not always the case as they know you don't have many options - nonetheless still cheaper and usually you can arrive at an agreed affordable price).

The rooms are comfortable but I didn't really get a five-star feel during my stay. The bathroom is my least favorite part and one of the worst designed bathrooms I've ever used. The sink spews water everywhere due to its poor design - so its not a problem that can be fixed - its due to the build of the sink. The shower, trash and placement of everything just didn't impress me because I didn't feel there was much thought in terms of ease and quality.

The restaurant by the pool serves delicious food. We came here for brunch and especially enjoyed the spectacular views, coconut shakes and the variety of dishes offered. Each dish is plated beautifully and the waitress was lovely. Good energy from those who handle and deliver the food translates to a more enjoyable meal.

I recommend the tomato/avocado salad - this dish won't disappoint=)

Not the worst resort I've stayed at, but also not the best. In any case, there is a batch of beautiful fresh flowers to be enjoyed in the lobby everyday!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kat W

Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying at Centara Villas Phuket.
We appreciate your feedback and take on board all your comments constructively.
I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay and will work on our improvements.
Your feedback will be shared with the team.
kind regards