“Doesn't live up to the 'Hilton' reputation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa

Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 132 Hotels in Karon
London, United Kingdom
“Doesn't live up to the 'Hilton' reputation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here for 5 nights at the end of May. First impressions the grounds of the hotel are huge, you have to be picked up from one lobby in a car and driven to the main lobby upon first arrival. When I was given my room I was impressed at first with the size of the bed - very big, and the view from the balcony. I stayed in the Adaman wing. However the room was slightly cramped, with some some slight wear and tear. The breakfast was ok - a big selection however it depends on your preferences, there wasn't a big selection of fresh fruit. Towards the end of the stay, there was a day which rained heavily throughout which meant you were confined to the hotel- I had to therefore stay in for lunch, which led to a big struggle to find something to eat, some of the restaurants were closed and the others were extremely expensive. I settled on the sails restaurant- where you eat for breakfast - and there was a buffet on, which I would have eaten had it not been £30 ahead per person! For lunch I think this is far too expensive, I ate at 'high end' restaurants around Thailand for slightly less than this at dinner. I could not justify paying this so opted for a traditional Thai chicken soup instead, my girlfriend ordered a sandwich. When the soup arrived there was also a plate of rice, I had not ordered this but assumed it came with the dish anyway, as the sandwich had arrived with chips on the side. I ate the whole thing and when the bill arrived I noticed I had been charged for the rice, I made a complaint as I had not ordered this and it was eventually taken off the bill. If you do eat there make sure you check the bill, they automatically bill you for 10% service charge and the 7% for vat which always brings the price up. This was my only real annoyance during the stay as I ate out every day besides this one, there are some very good places to eat around Karon. There aren't many activities to do if you are stuck inside on a rainy day, it is very expensive, wifi is only free in the lobby, and I therefore wouldn't rush back here. I am guessing had you paid more money and had more money to spend your stay could be better but if not, then it is not an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bigfresser2014
David P, General Manager at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I was sorry to hear that you found your choice of food limited when you wanted lunch as, whilst not all of our restaurants are open for lunch, we had three restaurants open for you to choose from. The day in question was in fact a Sunday when we put on a very comprehensive Sunday brunch for which we charge what is approximately £20 for food and £30 inclusive of drinks. I am sorry you found this to be outside of your budget.

Clearly we made an error with your order and added rice to it by mistake but I was happy to learn that we put it right when you made us aware of it and you were not charged.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed in the suite. So was treated very well from the start. And because of the Thai people - they always make it a little better. But I think this hotel has some very strong aspects. Other things very soft. Great facilities for swimming and near the ocean. But seems a little run down and needing some updates. Was there on business. If on my own dime - doubtful I would have rated this high. For young families I think this is a very nice option at the right price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike54BU
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and in particular the many and varied pools that we have around the resort. As you mention we are indeed very popular with families as our pools and children’s club enable both children and parents to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

The resort has a continually program of refurbishments in place and we have a clear plan to address any and all areas that require an ‘update’ to ensure we offer the best facilities to our guests that we can.

Hopefully we can welcome you back on a holiday along with the many Korean families who choose us for their vacation.

Alpharetta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

At first sight it is a huge, beautiful sweeping resort. Thoroughly expansive, beautiful pools and gardens, it gives one the impression of true luxury. Situated at Karon Beach, it is peaceful and has its own local charm. If you yearn for the Patong nightlife, it is a short 15 minutes away. The room had a great view and was well appointed. Offsetting this initial euphoria was the air conditioning in our room kept failing, giving us 10-15 degree swings in a short time. Every night we woke up sweating when the a/c shut off for no reason, but an hour later we were freezing. This freeze/thaw cycle really ruined our honeymoon. The Internet service was another fail. Worked fine the first day. The rest of the time we could never connect. Called for assistance, that got us access for another 30 minutes. After that we just gave up. Even when it was "working", the signal would often drop for no reason, then come back 10 - 60 minutes later. If you have access to the Panorama Lounge, it is definitely worth using. Good food and friendly service. So when I compare this Hilton resort to others I have stayed at around the world, this one fell short...on the little things that one expects as basic of any good hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lotus Wing. It is a long way from most everything, but the views are great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Thom1962
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious gardens, lakes and pools and the great view and service of our Panorama Lounge which is indeed very popular with our guests.

I was very sorry to hear of your problems with our air conditioning as this is usually pretty reliable and the individual controls in each room usually work well but we clearly need to investigate your particular room to identify and correct the problem.

In all honesty I have to recognize that the internet service can at times drop out or reduce in signal strength due to problems on the island with internet provision as a whole. This is usually not a problem but we did suffer some issues for a couple of weeks which I am happy to say have now gone away.

I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I really wanted to like this place... after all, its views towards the ocean was grand and unbeatable and the pictures on their website looked great. However, it was a series of little events that culminated in my disappointing stay. On the outside, the Hilton resort is beautiful, luxurious and grand. The check-in was fast and efficient. Welcome drink and cool wet towel a nice touch.

Things then gradually to fall apart....

First impression: I stayed in a sea view Deluxe with ocean views in the Andaman A wing. For approximately $150 AUD/night including breakfast, this was outstanding value. The room appeared spacious at first glance. There were however obviously signs of wear, both externally in the elevator, and internally on the rug with multiple black stains. The shower door was slightly broken, brushing past the edge of the step, creating a ugly grating sound every time it opened up. I can see how this place room may have looked awesome in the 90's, but first impression was that it was showing signs of serious age.

Day one: After having a morning shower, I discovered that the shower seal was leaking badly. In particular, the glass panel facing the bed was leaking water onto the floor and onto the carpet, flowing also behind the bedside table near various power cords. I immediately reported the problem, only to have maintenance wonder in 30 minutes later, wipe the floors and turn to say to me: "Ill be back in 10 minutes". By this stage, I was literally sick of waiting and was going to miss breakfast, so left my room. I'm not sure what was done in the end as I received no explanation from reception. I just assumed they may have resealed parts of the shower screen. I had a feeling that using the hand held shower head may have been part of the issue, so the rest of the stay I avoided it, and just used the rain shower head. I certainly did not expect the Hilton to have such poor attention to detail and low standard of maintenance. To me, if you wanted to keep your 4.5 star image, this room should not have been in use.

At breakfast that morning - it was already deadly hot and humid. We requested an inside air-con table, only to be told that it was all full and that we needed to sit out side. Fine, I thought to myself, could we please have two cappuccinos for coffee? No, says the waiter, the coffee machine was broken that day, so we had a choice of tea or regular filtered coffee. More sighs followed.... Walking into the buffet hall, only to see multiple uncleared tables. I'm not sure whether it was understaffing or lazy staff, but clearly the reason why we couldn't sit inside was the tables were overwhelmed with used plates and unclean tables. Day 1 morning proved to be incredibly stressful and disappointing. Not a good start to the holiday.

Following on, little issues with our room kept building up. There was an ant and ?termite- like infestation everywhere, particularly the wooden tables and the buffet in front of the TV. I'm not good with bugs, so was seriously grossed out avoiding putting anything on those two tables. I note that this appears to be a problem in other reviewers. Then, the internet, for which we paid 400 BAHT/day for, stopped working on one device. We reported this to reception and people were having similar connection problems around us. Their first response was shrugs of the shoulder and that "some people can connect, some people just can't". Multiple complaints later, the reception finally did report it to IT....however it took well over half a day to sort it out. We requested our internet usage be either refunded or extended with complements, only to be met with some mild resistance and that she'll "check with the IT department". Housekeeping that day also forgot to replenish drinking water, the mugs in the cabinet still had some coffee stains at the bottom of the cup...etc. etc.

I cannot comment on the quality of their restaurants as I did not dine there. Breakfast was a hot/cold buffet with reasonable choices, but as I said no proper was coffee was provided.
Overall, nothing disastrous, but everything really built up, and made our stay not as relaxing as hoped.

The location also was a bit isolated. It was a good 15-20 minutes walk to the centre of Karon beach, and at night time taxi rides to and from Patong is exorbitant, asking for 500 baht for a 10 minute ride.

Overall, I will visit Phuket again, but I won't be staying at the Hilton next time based on this experience. To improve their service, the Hilton may want to reconsider: free or at least better and more reliable internet service, a shuttle to Karon/Kata beach and back and looking to refurbish some of the rooms on the Andaman wing. Also spraying bug spray on ant infestations does not solve the core of the problem, so maybe getting pest control in to solve the crux of the problem would be wiser.

Room Tip: Sea views are recommended
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fizzychi
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I was very sorry to hear of all the small things that were not up to the standard one could and should expect of the hotel and wish to offer my sincere apologies for our shortcomings on this occasion. Many things, such as coffee not being available, should not happen and are easily put right and I will to assure you that my team and I will take the necessary steps to do so.

I regret that we did not live up to your expectations but hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to demonstrate our usual high standards of service.

NE scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed her for 6 nights.
We arrived at the hotel after midnight and the staff couldn’t have been more helpful.
We were given a room upgrade and a letter from the manager welcoming us to the hotel and informing us that we had the use of the executive lounge.
Breakfast was excellent we a terrific selection.
The grounds of the hotel are large and well maintained and there are various pool areas, something to suit all ages. The pool closest to the beach is a great place to take in the sunset with a cocktail but don’t be fooled by the photos on the website as you have to cross a busy road to get to the beach
The room was well appointed and well maintained.
The only problem that we encountered was when I asked at reception for directions to the executive lounge the girl at reception asked for my room number. I gave her my room number and she said that I did not have access to use the lounge. When I explained of my Hilton elite Status and that I was told during check in and I also had a letter from the Manager, she basically called me a liar and that I had no assess to the lounge.

After asking to speak to the duty manager and producing the letter was I told that yes we were entitled to use the lounge and there had been a mix up. Not the type of service you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buckieloon
David P, General Manager at Hilton Phuket Arcadia Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very happy that you had a good stay at our "terrific resort' but regret the inconvenience you suffered when asking for directions. Unfortunately these types of situation can and do occasionally occur, often due to English not being the first language, but I am glad that the matter was promptly and properly dealt with by the manager on duty.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Resort was very good. Staff very friendly. Food great. Pools wonderful.

But it seems to be in the wrong spot.

Not sure what I expected but left feeling a bit flat.
Surrounding neighbourhood a bit scruffy (but it is rural Thailand) and the beach was nothing to write home about and no shade. To get an umbrella cost extra (not the fault of the resort) so we stayed in the resort.

Have been to Thailand often and better places to go.

Wierd that signage all over town and airport was English and RUSSIAN. English speakers were definitely in the minority.

Room Tip: Get a high up beach view if possible
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am happy that you found the resort to have great staff, pools and food though a little disappointed that the beach was not up to your expectations. More so as Karon beach is actually recognised as being one of the best beaches on the island by many.

As with all the beaches on the island it is a public beach and none are owned by the hotels. This does of course mean that if you want sun loungers and umbrellas then you will have to pay a small fee to make use of them.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was one of the best places in which I've stayed. The sheer size gave the feeling of being away from it all. Yet the proximity to the hustle and bustle of street vendors was a short walk away. The staff were fantastic, so courteous and genuinely pleasant. The rooms were immaculate and food scrumptious. Money changing was secure and there was so many options of things to do and places to eat. Definitely will visit again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Prem M
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay at the hotel. Our 75 acres of pools, gardens and lagoons do indeed give the resort a very peaceful and relaxing feels whilst, as you say, the hustle and bustle if you seek it is not far away.