“Best accommodation I stayed in”

Mellow Space Boutique Rooms
Ranked #6 of 109 Speciality Lodging in Karon
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best accommodation I stayed in”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I was cycling my bicycle down from Hua Hin to Phuket to attend a wedding. The wedding party stayed in Karon Beach for 5 days. I stayed at Mellow Space for the 5 day period. When I cycled into Karon Beach I had no clue where to go, so I called the number that was listed for Mellow Space. I got through to Mark, the British owner, who directed me quite easily to where the hotel is.

The first thing I noticed is that the hotel building was extremely new. Mark was on duty and he welcomed me to Mellow Space, he made sure my checkin was quick and painless. I went up to my room and was well impressed by the spacious, clean, inviting room! I had aircon and a lovely bathroom with hot water.

The entire time I stayed I felt like the hotel was homely, I always felt welcome, staff didn't bother me, but were extremely friendly and helpful. I always felt safe as the security at the hotel was solid. I can't criticise anything and for the price I doubt you will beat this experience!

Some tips and advice (ask Mark, he has great advice):
- hire a scooter or a bicycle to get around
- go sight seeing to places like Big Buddha, Aquarium and other beaches
- grab some street food in the evenings across from Mellow Space, especially the Phad Thai stall
- try out Paradise beach, not usually my thing to sit on deck chairs, but was enjoyable
- try Boss Tailors across from hotel if you want some clothing made

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a mountain view, the street view rooms are noisy, but nothing a pair of earplugs...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank feedmymedia
MarkMellow, Owner at Mellow Space Boutique Rooms, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Feedmymedia, Thanks for your positive & detailed feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review. Happy cycling!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We spent five nights here during our travels around Thailand and Mellow Space was the pick of the places we stayed in.

The location is ideal; directly opposite you have a 7 Eleven, the excellent restaurant 2gether and delicious pad thai and banana pancakes served by the street vendors at night. Also, Karon Beach is a leisurely five minute stroll away (Kata and Patong can also be easily reached by bike or taxi as well).

The rooms are spacious, comfortable and cleaned to a very high standard; I'd be surprised if you could get this quality of room anywhere on Phuket for the same price. When you add in the view from the balcony (we stayed in the Mountain View room, which I'd recommend), you really are getting value for money.

Nothing else to say. Mellow Space hit the spot. Good job Mark.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne-Dani
Thanks very much for taking the time to post a review. It was our pleasure having you as our guests and we're happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Happy travelling!
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Chose it for the good price and overall i was not disappointed..

Pros:
- it's cheap! For the clean and new room you get, it's really CHEAP! Basic stuff (free wifi, hot water, comfy bed, free coffee and tea, free mineral water everyday) was taken care of though no fancy hotel service..
- It's surrounded by good food like 2gether (I didn't know it was just opp the road), M Sports Bar (next door), Two Chefs, and highly recommended Mama Noi (though i didn't really find it impressive except for their burger)
- It's between patong and kata.. so easier to go both beaches..
- Less crowded and more chillax than patong
- free pick up service to go the good massage place Oriental Massage Phuket
- the boss and staff were friendly and helpful..
- etc

Cons:
- it's pretty new and only has 10 rooms.. so most taxi drivers don't know the place.. remember to bring their namecard along when you go out..
- remember to choose mountain view cos otherwise the rooms facing street can be very noisy
- we stayed on 4th level and it was actually quite tiring to climb up every night after a whole day of activities.. make sure you don't have bulky luggage to be carried up...
- somehow the toilet was a bit smelly though bearable..

Room Tip: choose mountain view for sure! people with leg problems may consider lower level instead...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank babyblue28
MarkMellow, Owner at Mellow Space Boutique Rooms, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post a review.
We're glad to hear that you found the room facilities to be of a good quality at a good price. Whilst we're not a 4* hotel, we do aim to provide in room comfort and facilities which are of a higher standard than a lot of guesthouses.
The rooms on the back (where you stayed) are, obviously, quieter than those on the front adjacent to the street. However, we've had many guests who've told us they've enjoyed watching the world go by from the balcony on the front rooms (and of course those on the top floor get to catch some great sunsets!).
We aknowledge that the rooms at the top (3rd floor) may not be for everybody, but that's where the best views are. So that one comes down to personal choice.
Finally, I was surprised to hear about the toilet being "a bit smelly", as this was not mentioned to me or my staff during the duration of your stay. I apologise if that was the case, but had we been informed we have a variety of chemicals which, in most cases, resolve the problem quickly and efficiently.
Thanks again for taking the time to post a review.
Taichung, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Mellow Mark took great care of me and my 3 friends while we were on a Dive Holiday in Phuket.
The rooms are very clean and modern! The beds were incredibly comfortable, considering most hotels in all of asia give you plywood disquised as beds... Not the case here! Mark was always willing to serve up a nice coctail or cold beer after our day of diving...

The location is great as well... Its not on the beach but for us that didn't matter we were in the water all day... plus if we wanted to go it was only 300meter away down 1 street...

It is close to everything you need... Pubs, Restaurants, Massages, etc....

He is most definitly living up to his statement of bridging the gap between 3 star and 5 star hotels...

Room Tip: All good...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Buck-8888
Firstly, thanks for taking the time to post a review.
We enjoyed having you stay with us and are happy that our accommodation met your expectations. The bar misses you and your buddies too!
Maybe we'll see you in Taiwan one of these days!
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I spent 2 weeks at mellow space. The rooms are big and very clean.the bathrooms are really big as well and very clean. The rooms have all balcony flatscreen tv coffee and tea making facilities with free coffee and tea. You get every day a 2 fresh bottles of drinking water. The rooms comes all with modern thaistyle. The beds are really good to sleep(pretty comfortable matraces).in the bar you get really good cappocino.mark and his staff are all really helpful-I felt like coming to a friends place.beach supermarkets and restaurant are easy to reach(beach to walk 3 minutes supermarkt 20 meters restaurants 20 meters as well).
All in all perfect stay.I will definetly come back and I recommend mellow space to all.
This is the upcoming place to be

• Stayed January 2013
7 Thank kleinesl
Thanks very much for posting a review. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we really appreciate your feedback, both on TA and whilst you were here.
We sincerely hope that this season is a good one for your back home and hope to welcome you back here in the future.
Thanks again.
Ukraine
Reviewed 25 January 2013

There’s not much I can add to all these positive reviews below. The place is a real find and Mark does his best to make your stay perfect. There’s also a very helpful junior manager SHI who helped us a lot during our stay. We booked motorbikes directly at the hotel and the prices were lower than in agencies on the street (moreover there’s no need to leave original of your passport as many rental agencies require). The price for transfer to AoNang, organized by SHI, was also cheaper than we could negotiate with street drivers. Opposite the hotel there are few stands cooking amazing Pad Thai and Banana pancakes. If you’re not in a tight budget you could try 2Gether restaurant opposite the hotel – the food is very good, they also serve American buffet breakfast for 199 THB per person (all you can eat). We booked three rooms (Standard, Sunset view and Mountain view) and they all were beautiful, but our favorite was a Mountain view. Karon is quite popular among the tourists, but the beach is long enough and there’s plenty of space for everybody. This part of Karon is much quieter than the busy area near Karon circle, but still has plenty of things to do. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: There's nothing better than eating Pad Thai on Mountain view room's balcony....
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank irinaia
Thanks very much for taking the time to post your detailed review. It was our pleasure to have you and your team stay with us and we're happy we helped to make it an enjoyable stay.
We hope you enjoyed your time in Krabi and look forward to seeing you again
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Overall a great value for money experience:
- large rooms
- clean
- refurbished space
- free wifi
- spacious balcony
- safety box, ipad docking station, tv, fridge and small desk in the room
- choose mountain view room which is much quieter
- ask Mark the owner for daytrip recommendations

downside:
- no lift
- mosquitoes (a small creek runs along the back of the hotel)
- the hotel is located on a very busy road and there is no pedestrian crossing at all. if you want to go to the beach you gotta fight your way thru tuktuks and motorcycles.

all in all a great experience.

Room Tip: choose mountain view on the top floor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Swingapore
MarkMellow, Owner at Mellow Space Boutique Rooms, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thanks very much for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we're doing.
Good to hear that you were happy with the rooms and the service we provided.
With regard to mosquitos. I personally think this has more to do with the lush jungle vegetation behind our place than the stream that runs behind. As the stream is constantly moving water from the mountain to the sea (rather than still/stagnant water). We do spray rooms and communal areas regularly in an attempt to control the mosquitoes inside our place. But there is little we can do about mosquitoes on the balcony.
Thanks again for posting a review we maybe we will see you later in the year when the surf's up!