“Nice pool but that´s about it”
Review of The Old Phuket

The Old Phuket
Ranked #33 of 136 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The pool is large and ok. The room was spacious and clean but the private jacuzzi didn´t work. The beach close to the hotel is not very nice and there is a road with heavy traffic cutting off the hotel from the beach. Expensive and not good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Guslor
Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I don't know how to start this review as I can't say I had a bad time but I have been in much much better. So let me try brake it down for viewers as this might help. This is our 10th time to Thialand.

The Hotel room : We stayed in the Pool access room: The room itself has a very modern feel to it as is large and comfy. The bathroom is strange to me as there is noway you can use the bath unless you into other people watching you, you have to close the blinds and its quite a job doing this and the bath itself is very small for a man. The shower is big and always has hot water. The mini bar was so dissapointing for me as this is always my highlight in a room opening it and theres lots of goodies !! This one had all most nothing!!! Beers and two cokes and some water and a little bit of nuts. Honestly make an effort but this might have saved us money in the old end. The access to the pool was lovely but we had no privecy people were for ever up and down infront of our room. We were room 2104 so if you want privecy ask for 2106 up. They honetly don"t make a fuss of people even when you paying for the most expesive room so don't expect any special treatment. No chocs on your pillows or nice smelling things or sweeties. The pool itself is lovely and the pool bar was so so not much mixes just the normal. Rooms were cleaned every day but normaly after about 13H00.

The Hotel itself : Very well situated and by far the best beach. Kata beach is small and to me just a bit to over crowded. Patong disgusting just dirty!! Patong is only for night life. The staff are not vey helpfull we tried to book scooters and it was such a mission we rather did it at the butterfly which is just in the little street infront of the hotel that leads to the beach they also have the best thia food. If you tired of Thia and want a change and need some beef or something else then you must 100% go to Karlsson Resturant righ next to the Butterfly they have amazing food!!!! The tuk Tuks cost you about 400bht to Patong if you want to go there in the evenings and about a 10min drive.

Overall I would say that its okay if you like me that just wants somehing special or maybe I"m spolied by other hotels then this is not the hotel for you, but in all honesty its not bad we had a good time. I will just aways have soft spot for Koh Samui and Phi Phi.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank vannabez
Reviewed 1 March 2012

On arrival staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and the cleaning service was very friendly too. I had an experience where I fell through some decking below our room, near the pool. I wasn't really hurt, just some scratches and a few bruises, it did hurt though. When we informed the front desk, they asked us to show them on a map where exactly it happened, and seemed very concerned. On return to our room later that afternoon there was a fruit basket and a note personally addressed to me. The next day the hotel manager personally came to find us and apologised also. I also saw someone walking around doing a security check the next day also. I was very impressed with how the hotel dealt with me, and their professionalism. Over all, a lovely hotel. I though the location was nice, although its a fair walk to Karon centre. But that didn't worry us. Would go back.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Pentals
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Booked a discounted deal which made the hotel very good value for the money. It is a very beautiful and cosy hotel. All staff are very friendly and helpful, and especially should be mentioned Maria and the guy from the tourist activities office which resides within the hotel. Breakfast was brilliant. Only point that you should be aware is that there is no free internet access and you have to buy cards.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AutoreplyOn
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed as a group in 8 pool access rooms in June 2011. We loved this hotel. The rooms were beautiful with polished concrete floors, modern decor, and large bathrooms with enormous showers. The pool access was brilliant as our party included 10 kids and they were able to swim between rooms, and were always within sight. Breakfast was fine with plenty of choices. The location of the hotel was very central in Karon and we were able to walk everywhere. We managed to get an amazing deal with agoda, which made this a very cheap stay for our group. I would definitely return to the Old Phuket.

Room Tip: Choose pool access room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ScoutGoldCoast
Reviewed 13 February 2012

It was our first time to Phuket, and we chose The Old Phuket hotel because of the location of the hotel, and secondly the reviews from Tripadvisor and other hotel websites. We certainly weren't disappointed by our stay in the hotel/resort. The room was nice and spotlessly clean on arrival, with the housekeeping staff keeping it that way throughout our stay. Breakfast was always consistently good, with small changes to the menu every day. As some of the reviewers have stated, the bed and pillows were a little firm. However we always had a great nights sleep and woke up refreshed for another day at the beach. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a quiet hotel stay, that is close to restaurants, shops, massage parlours and the beach. We'll be returning.

Room Tip: Sino wing was great
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ruban D
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed in a family room, Serene Wing (new block). Nice hotel, outside is beautiful, not one of the greatest I stayed in, but it was okay. Doesn’t compare to our stay in Bangkok, outstanding. I was not keen on the bathroom facilities, very rusty taps, blocked drains and dirty white floors at the Old Phuket. The location was good, close to the beach. Reception staff not soooooooooo good. I must admit we considered changing hotels. Overall I enjoyed my stay in Phuket.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family