“Affordable luxury”
Review of The Old Phuket

The Old Phuket
Ranked #31 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 29 May 2013

From the moment we stepped out of the airport taxi into the impressive lobby, we knew everything was going to be fantastic. Not only were the reception staff very welcoming in that particularly lovely Thai fashion, but they informed us that we had been upgraded to the Serene Wing. Now I was more than happy with the Deluxe rooms we had been originally allocated in the Sino Wing but there are two types of holiday to be had at the Old Phuket. The Deluxe Sino rooms are gorgeous in that you step back into the grandeur of a bygone age but with all the comforts of a modern hotel room. A glamorous four-poster bed with white mesh nets romantically swishing around it, invites you to recline and pretend to be a princess in the "The King and I". The en-suite is just gorgeous in that you step outside into an enclosed garden and shower under the stars. This set-up is especially lovely for couples rather than families. The rooms in the Serene Wing are up-to-date, edgy and huge and enjoy lovely views of the lush greenery as well as catching welcome breezes.
Having been upgraded once, my husband and I took advantage of the great rates and upgraded again to a direct Pool Access room and, to be honest, these are heavenly. They are exactly what they say, in that you open your deck doors and the glittering, turquoise pool is right there at your feet. Each Pool Access room has its own spa jets in the water bench next to your own private steps into the pool. It might be a bit different if the hotel is busy in that people could be swimming past your room all the time but since the hotel was pretty quiet, we often had the whole pool to ourselves. And it's a HUGE pool. There are 3 long lap lanes down the sides, with a large section adjoining as well as a shallow dipping pool in the middle. I would recommend the Serene Wing if you are with kids as you are right by the pool.
Breakfast is buffet style and if anyone has a problem with it, then they would have a problem with Paradise!! There was so much choice, with pretty much every type of cuisine you could possibly wish for, no matter if you were European, Asian or Aussie, like us.
The hotel boasts a library with computers and internet as well as a gym and games room. You can get internet for free in the lobby or buy a cheap card and get internet anywhere around the hotel. The shops and beauty parlours are literally on the doorstep but you can also have treatments right there in the hotel grounds, which is lovely because it is outdoors with gorgeous views of the mountains.
The rooms are clean, with fresh linen provided daily (or every other day if you request it) even tho the towels themselves are rather grey and thin. The beds are pretty firm but that suits us anyway. The air-conditioning is very effective and even when there was a power-cut, the generators clicked on immediately.
Just a couple of words of warning: be very, very careful of the smooth concrete floors when your feet are wet. They are very slippery and probably would not meet Western safety standards. If you are big tea drinkers like us,I recommend you go out and buy tea-bags and milk from the nearby shop as you only get 2 per day.
All in all, I would highly recommend the Old Phuket. We had a terrific holiday here and if I went back to Karon, I would most definitely head there again.

Room Tip: Reckon it depends on the time you are visiting. If it is quiet and you have kids, go for the Pool A...
1  Thank marvalus
Write a ReviewReviews (1,946)

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed for 10 nights. On arrival had been upgraded to jacuzzi deluxe room which was a nice surprise. Friendly helpful staff, great breakfast selection and the free shuttle to Patong and weekend market was very handy. It's a quiet location with good facilities, would recommend without a doubt. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel when we purchased a deal for $799.00 (AU) each for 12 nights including airfares and breakfast.
On our arrival, after a very long night and a long stopover in Singapore, our taxi (ordered through the hotel) was not there with the driver holding a sign with our name of as promised in an e-mail from theOld Phuket Hotel. We waited and waited but our driver did not appear. Luckily one of the taxi organisers asked if he could help and phoned the hotel and was told the taxi was on the way. We waited and we waited and then another person - a woman organising taxi's rang the hotel for us again. Same story - the taxi was on the way. It did eventually arrive about an hour after we had landed. I was not happy, hot and bothered and needed a drink of water.
On our arrival I explained what had happened and we were asked to sit down and have a drink. Our room was ready soon after. We had booked a ground floor room in the Sino Section which was quite ok with a large bathroom with an extra large bath and also an outdoor shower. The bed was rather firm and the pillows not very comfortable. We had a small entrance/outdoor area with 2 chairs and a gate opening out on to the walkway. Nice spot to sit and have a drink. The pool, on the top floor, was nice, had shade umbrellas, massages available and a small cafe serving icecreams, drinks and snacks etc.
Breakfast was served on the ground level and I hated it. Juice was from a packet and sickly sweet and the amount of flies around was very offputting. Most of the fruit etc was covered with plastic but the bread was usually covered in flies. Bread, bacon and pastries were of a poor quality.
I celebrated my birthday while there and the staff placed 2 iced cupcakes and some flowers in the room which was a nice touch.
The cleaner we had for the most part of our stay was very friendly and did a good job. A few days before we were to leave she said she was going on holidays and that someone else would be doing the cleaning.###
We took the free shuttle to Central Festival a couple of times during our stay. I would advise anyone to book a few days ahead as there is only 1 trip per day - departure is at 11.00am and return at 3.00pm. The shopping centre is worth a look and we did manage to get a few bargains
with 2/3 off the price of some women's clothes at British India. I would recommend the Coffee Connection, near the entrance, for lunch. It was a great menu with reasonable prices and is very spic and span. Try the Lemon Meringue Pie and Iced Latte Coffee. We did also take the shuttle to Patong but we didn't enjoy the area, the shopping, the food, the noise or the touts.
The OPH has a couple of restaurants in the little street leading to the beach. We tried the Chilli Restaurant and couldn't recommend it but the Baoy Tory (check spelling) opposite side was quite good and very reasonably priced. The 2 Chef's in Kata was good too. We also went to Mom Tri's and it was a complete disaster (will do a revue later) just don't go...
All in all if you can get a really cheap price for this hotel or a deal with airfares it may suite you but it would have to be a fantastic deal of the year really. I would rate this hotel as a 3*.
After we left to continue our holiday at a couple of other hotels (which were great - ask me) I discovered that an item of clothing was missing. I rang the hotel, described the item and asked them to look. I did receive one call back as we were departing our next hotel and was told that they couldn't find the shirt and it was a white t-shirt wasn't it? No it wasn't and I described it again and suggested that they look where I though it may have been left. To cut a very long story short they asked if I was sure it was missing (I was) and they said they would look again. I am sure the "new cleaner"### would have found it if it fell off the arm of the day bed between it and the curtain?

Reviewed 27 May 2013

First time to Phuket. Eight days, from 4th May 2013. Stayed in the old section of the Old Phuket. Had extension on check out it was till 6 pm, room was clean. Breakfast was good, had a good choice. Close to beach and restaurant close. Just walked out hotel and to Ging restaurant. Grounds clean. All in all great stay

2  Thank Shirley L
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed in the old phuket for one week in a ground floor suite, the pool is literally a step off your room. The room service was lovely and great value, close to amazing resturants and experiences while only a short tuk tuk away from patong. Karon is much quiter and is great for a relaxing night rest then a fun action packed day (or a lAze by the pool)
Fantastic!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank RyanMfarrow
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Upon arriving at this property I was greeted and checked in very promptly. Going to my Private Jacuzzi room I was absolutely amazed at the room I got. Walking in through my private from gate to a very spacious front courtyard with the Jacuzzi to my right. Opened the front door to a very clean, modern and spacious room. Walking behind the Floor to ceiling bed head to find the very trendy and modern bathroom. Upon further adventure I found the back courtyard that contains a private outdoor shower. This property has a great location seconds walk to Karon beach and direct access to many places to eat, be pampered and shop.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Great hotel. Stayed in serene wing. Room spacious and comfortable. Facilities were good.
It will be great if you could arrange more shuttles to and from Patong and Phuket town. Most of the time they were fully booked. On the day of our checkout, we had to checkout(no extension allowed) by 10am if I remember correctly and sit with all our luggage in the reception area for a further 3-4hours till transfer pickup. It would have been great if we could have stayed in the room for an additional 1-2 hours only. Overall experience was great.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple