“A really relaxing holiday”
Review of Club Med Phuket

Club Med Phuket
Ranked #21 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We spent a 7 day holiday at Club Med Phuket. It is a great resort with lots to keep you occupied and given that it is Club Med pretty much everything is included. The food was excellent with a massive buffet for every meal and plenty to drink as well. The service from the staff was excellent.

The rooms are in need of an upgrade and the beds are not very comfortable. Also there are no baths which is not great.

The rest of the resort is in a good condition and there is a wide range of sporting activities that are included. The circus team are a great addition and the trapeze is a interesting activity to have included.

It is worth noting that the beach is not a private beach and as a result there is not easy access to drinks on the beach and there are no water sports on the beach There are however lots of umbrellas available and we spent most of our time around the pool instead.

The excursions that are on offer are limited and probably could be extended, especially offering some more half day excursions.

The resort is huge so be prepared to walk a lot and make sure you go into the small town outside the resort to get some great bargains on clothes and souvenirs.

I would recommend the resort to families of all ages.

1  Thank grimv
There are newer reviews for Club Med Phuket

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We had read many bad reviews about Club Med Phuket and I can honestly say that we do not have one complaint. I has put in a request to be roomed close to the Spa and the Zen pool and we were allocated 2401 and 2402. The rooms were nice and clean and very quiet. The GO's are super friendly and made our holiday extra special. It was my sons birthday they organised a lovely cake. The food was superb with lots of choice every day which suites most people. We had hot water all the time in our showers. I will certainly be going back to the resort for another holiday as value for money you cannot beat Phuket Club Med. I loved the holiday from the time we arrived until the time we left.

Room Tip: Try get a room close tot eh Zen pool or Spa as it is not too far to walk, nice and quite. We had roo...
2  Thank MurphyFamily2013
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Awesome setting, fantastic food, very friendly staff, great activities and facilities, fun had by the whole family. Really difficult to fault this hotel. Perhaps teenagers should be allowed in the gym (this rule meant no one in the family used it, although we were keen to). Rooms were OK but could be improved a bit (no bath, tired doors and decor - we were in T-block, maybe it's different elsewhere). After-dinner shows and band were good. A pricey holiday, but you get a lot of options for it. A family we met got sick but we fortunately didn't (NB don't drink the tap water and wash hands frequently). Did the chip-n-putt golf, tennis, scuba, table tennis, circus, beach massage, and more. Wouldn't mind coming back sometime.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The village is situated right across the road from Kara Beach. The staffs are friendly and cheerful.

The PR (Lena) who attended to us on the first day of arrival is polite and patient despite my family members who are always up to their own business instead of listening to her.

The circus team (Jessica, Kelly, Masa, a big super tanned Guy, and another GO from Australia whom I've forgotten his name) is magnificent, they made a special arrangement for me to do the knee hang catch trick after knowing I'm departing the next day! Of course you have to make a few perfect knee hangs before they teach you the catch~ Nevertheless, it was amazing!

The sports team surprised me with a medal on my last night stay in Club Med. Thanks to Swapnil, Andy, and Miew!!!

This is indeed a fantastic place to have a vacation!

PS. The shows are awesome. Must see!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank 9W2KHC
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Second time to Club Med (1st one, Bali) could not wish for a better time!
From the welcome after a very long flight to the staff greeting you every time they see you to the interaction with the GO's, all very genuine.
Staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Food excellent, rooms very clean!
We had a wonderful time!
Will be coming again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I would have given this a average or very good rating given that though the food/room wasn't very good, our baby boy was well taken care of by the G.Os at baby club med.

We stayed from 7th Dec to 10th Dec. I should put it down as it is fresh in my mind.

What changed it to terrible was actually what happened on the last day 10th Dec 2013 when we were supposed to check out.

Our flight leaving Phuket was silk air MI 735 which was to depart 2:50pm. We were advised by the staff in the receptionist counter the day before(11th Dec) to take the airport transport at 12pm. We were also told to leave our luggage outside our room when we check out and they will arrange for the luggage to be uploaded into the transport. Boy, was I grateful for that, what with my wife carrying my baby boy and me carrying the strollers baby bag and our hand luggage, I did not have to lug the two main luggages to the receptionist counter. I left the club med tags INDICATING our room number on our main luggages so that the luggages would go to the main lobby waiting for us at the time of departure from the village.

We were told that we could check out at 11am and we did on the 10th. I returned the keys to the receptionist and once again asked will the bus be ready at 12pm and do we need to be there waiting early. The receptionist said 5 minutes before would be fine.

When we arrived at the main lobby at 11:55pm, I approached the staff at the receptionist counter and told them we were ready. She directed us to the staircase at the main lobby and pointed to 2 pieces if luggage and asked us whether it belonged to us. They were not and I asked her to check and gave her my room number M1102, and my 2 pieces of luggage had the club med tag with the room numbers too. she left and she checked.

There seemed to be some panic as some more staff/G.Os scrambled around and looked at us and said they were checking.

Finally, one G.O(a lady with short hair, I assume is from China/Taiwan because she spoke in perfect chinese to us, did not take note of her name) came to us and said the 2 pieces had actually left with another group of 9 Singaporeans taking the same flight as us. I was shocked and asked her how it could have happened. She said because the group was initially supposed to leave at 12pm together with us, but they went to the receptionist and asked to leave 20mins early and hence all luggages was packed and left together. I asked how could all the luggages be packed off together without checking? Her explanation was because all of us are taking the same flight and hence they packed it all together. All this while take note that she was not apologetic at all for the mistake that whoever had made. How could I be assured that my 2 pieces of luggage would be waiting for me at the airport? She replied nonchalantly that the driver has been informed and the driver who left early with the group of 9 Singaporeans had been informed, The G.O named Ar who receives guests at the airport has been informed, so no worries. I asked could you at least send one G.O who could speak our language (English/Mandarin) with us in the transport to assure that we will be connecting with our luggages? she said it was not necessary and she once again stressed that its because we are on the same flight as the group of 9 Singaporeans hence could't be helped! It was actually the fault of the 9 tourists????Oh my, I normally would have the energy to continue this conversation but I was exhausted and we had to leave for the airport. On the way, we could't help thinking whether our luggages had really been lost. Not just a money issue, we needed to pack a extra serving of milk formula for my son and his can of milk formula was in one of them.

At the airport we did collect the luggages from G.O Ar. That ended our ordeal finally. I had to scramble and unlock the luggage at the airport to retrieve the milk formula when I could have done it at the main lobby of the village.

I do understand that service lapses are bound to happen time to time and if your G.O would have been apologetic and at least assigned one of themselves to accompany us to retrieve our luggages, i would still have found the trip a good one.

Finally, it would be fair to share why i would have rated the trip better. Many many thanks to Dina, Untari and Ronnie of baby club med. They took care and played with my baby boy from 8th to 9th. My wife was bait apprehensive about leaving our naughty son with strangers at first but they really put in their best to make him feel welcome. He took some time to warm up to them but they were very patient and you can tell that they genuinely care for the babies under their care. Good job to the people of baby club med.

Considered bring the family back the next holidays since my son enjoyed, but we will probably not return to Phuket Club Med because of the experience from the last day.

Considering its our first Club Med experience, we really think its been over rated.

Sim Hong Heng

6  Thank SimHH
ClubMedUK_official, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

On behalf of Club Med, thank you for taking the time to put your comments onto Trip advisor as it is not without such constructive criticism that Club Med can make improvements wherever necessary to ensure that the service and care provided to our customers is of the highest possible quality.

I very was very sorry to note that you were dissatisfied with certain aspects of your stay with us at Club Med Phuket.

I was sorry to read that you found the accommodation to be below the standard you were expecting. Whilst we are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to you, as the resort is in full operation throughout the season and is constantly at full occupancy levels, regrettably, this makes it difficult for the resort staff to carry out full refurbishment works around guest rooms and resort facilities when guests are in resort, as this will cause disturbance to our guests and their holiday. Nevertheless I have passed these comments over to the relevant departments at the above resort for their perusal.

I was also sorry to ready about your disappointment with the cuisine and that you felt it apparently lacked quality. Kindly note that that our kitchen staff do their utmost to ensure that high quality, fresh and local produce is used in their food preparation. Notwithstanding this, I have passed these comments over to the restaurant manager at the above resort in order for improvements to be made wherever necessary.

On a much more positive note, I was very pleased to note that your son was taken good care of in the Baby Club and that you found this service provided by the GO’s was of a good standard.

I felt concerned to read that two items of your luggage were misplaced by Club Med on your last day of your stay with us due to them being sent to the airport on a different transfer than yours. Please accept our sincere apologies for this mistake and for any confusion and inconvenience this may have caused you.

On a similar note I was sorry to read that you found the GO’s and members of staff, one in particular to be unhelpful in this matter and did not accept your request for someone to accompany you on your transfer to the airport to ensure that the lost luggage was retrieved successfully. I can assure you that Club Med does certainly not condone such behaviour from members of staff and that this kind of attitude is just the antithesis of what Club Med staff should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service. Please accept our sincere apologies for any lack of this generosity and sense of service shown on this occasion.

Please do get in contact with us via our Customer Relations Office (UK) using our e-mail address customer.uk@clubmed.com if you require any further assistance or would like to make an official complaint with us.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,

Club Med Customer Relations UK

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This place spends very little on how it looks so expect it to be bare bare basics. Our rooms have just a bed and bedside table .. Nothing to make it look pretty except 2 coloured cushions! The staff who are local look sad and pitiful .. Heads down no smiles. They can be rude .. I almost had to force the towel woman to give us some towels by the pool. A man told off my 6yr old son for not wearing a shirt .. He was only in his board shorts after getting out of the pool .. When I asked why he was making an issue of it, he answered "hygiene"! Hmmm. .. This was all on day 1 of arrival. Not impressed. Our showers look like they could have a good scrub to get rid of the soap scum. The eating area is average .. The food selection nothing like the feasts put on at ClubMed in Bintan, Indonesia (mind you their rooms were basic but at least they tried to make an older building look pretty as was their whole resort). Here .. They just don't even try to make the place look attractive. Big massive pots at the pool but not a single pot plant with any flowers ... Strange considering how much tropical plants are avail here in this country. The GIs as usual are friendly and lovely .. If it weren't for them and the KidsClub, we would be leaving straight away. Ran into other families who are as shocked as us at how run down this place is and the unfriendliness of the working staff except the GIs .. Who like us assumed one ClubMed would be similar to another.
So no .. I would not recommend this one. To make it worse, there's a fantastic beach but u can only swim in it if u want to get bitten by the sea mites or lice .. I asked the GI and she said "oh yeah, they're not very nice here!" She couldn't say whether the sea lice are just as bad in the deeper waters for snorkelling/scuba diving or if they were just on the ocean edge. If it's like QLD in Aust .. The sea lice are everywhere during certain weather. So all up, come here but make sure ur expectations are low and u won't be disappointed!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Lynelle B
ClubMedUK_official, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Firstly, allow me to thank you for your time spent writing these comments on Trip Advisor as the only way in which Club Med can improve on its quality of service and standards is through constructive criticism from loyal clients such as yourself.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to certain aspects of your holiday at Club Med Phuket this December.

I regrettably noted that you found the rooms at the resort to be somewhat bare and that there was nothing to make the rooms or the resort look pretty, such as flowers in the pots around the pool area. I have ensured that the relevant departments within the organization have been made aware of these comments for their kind perusal and to ensure that relevant steps are taken to improve on this issue.

I was sorry to read that you found the staff at Club Med Phuket to look somewhat sad and that they were rude to you on several occasions, especially to your son. I can assure you that Club Med does certainly not condone such behaviour from members of staff and that this kind of attitude is just the antithesis of what Club Med staff should personify i.e. kindness, generosity and sense of service. On the behalf of Cub Med, I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you on this occasion.

I was sorry to note that you found the showers to be somewhat dirty. I have ensured that the cleaning department at the resort are aware of this issue in order for them to take relevant action and improve on their service wherever necessary. On behalf of Club Med please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or upset caused on this occasion.

I was also sorry to read that you found the restaurant and food on offer to be below the standard that you expected and had experienced at other resorts. Kindly note that that our kitchen staff do their utmost to ensure that high quality, fresh and local produce is used in their food preparation. Notwithstanding this, I have passed these comments over to the restaurant manager at the above resort in order for improvements to be made wherever necessary.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to read that you found the GO’s to be friendly and lovely and that the Kids Club was of a standard of which you found satisfactory.

Please do not hesitate to get into contact with our Customer Relations Office (UK) using our e-mail address customer.uk@clubmed.com if you require any further assistance or would like to make an official complaint with us.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times,