“Quiet environment suitable for honeymoon” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Access Resort & Villas

Access Resort & Villas
Ranked #49 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Quiet environment suitable for honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed for a night at Access Resort and Villas in Deluxe Pool Access Blue Wing room during our honeymoon in September 2013. The room decoration is quite nice with curtain surrounding the bed. The pool is right in front of the room and can easily accessed from the balcony. However, the pool is not very clean, despite not so many guest during our stay. While doing the online booking, i've put a remarked that we'll be on our honeymoon and request for a honeymoon decoration. However, there's none of decoration or complimentary welcome drink upon arrival. This can be quite a turn off as the hotels that we stayed before in Patong provided us with welcome drink and upgraded our room to celebrate our honeymoon. Location wise, this hotel is quite far from the beach and you need to walk downhill for 1.8km to reach the beach. All in all, this hotel suited one needs to relax and spent time with each other.

Room Tip: Choose the blue wing area
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank syahidaazmi
Ratchapol B, Front Office Manager at Access Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Khun Syahidaazmi,

Thank you for staying with us during your holiday and great to know your highly satisfaction of our resort - from the peaceful location with breathtaking real pool access to our service and facilities.

For honeymoon set up, we do apologize if we're overlooked for your request and we promise for next time if you return to stay our hotel again then we'll make you have best memory of your trip in ACCESS Resort & Villas later krab.

Thank you, and look forward to welcome you to our resort again in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

A well kept resort, away from the most busy areas of Phuket. Although the resort and tucked away, there are convenient stores around, just walking distance along the resort.
The Karon beach is about 15 mins walk from the resort. Alternatively, there is also shuttle buses provided by the resort for the heading down to the beach area at stipulated timings.

The rooms were clean and well maintained. The pool was clean. The staff were very friendly. The breakfast spread was not halal friendly so we did not have our breakfast in the resort. The last day we requested for a late check-out but at a charge of 1000 baht (for 2 hours) for a late check-out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Khun HeeraBee,

For late check out, our hotel will have late checkout fee as per we're running high occupancy in High Season, so late checkout must be provided to guest's request by accept for the fee because of we're guarantee check in time at 14.00 hrs so late checkout must be depend on room available and accept by guest payment for this charge.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Let me preface this review by saying that I have tried for over 6 weeks to work with the hotel in order to negate the need to write this, however the hotel regretfully has done nothing to really provide me or my travelling companion with a suitable outcome.

I booked this hotel to stay over the Christmas period from the 26th December to the 4th January. I booked it based on the trip advisor rating, and the beautiful looking pool facilities available.

Upon arrival, blurry eyed, it looked beautiful, all lit up like a Christmas tree, and was taken to a room where my friend had checked in prior to me. So far, all good.

Breakfast the next morning, as it was every morning, was decent, not the most luxurious of buffets, but the eggs were cooked to order, and the food fresh enough to keep me sated.

Went to the pool, lounges were available, and thought that they just hadn’t put the cushions out, however there were no cushions on the lounges, which despite the extended time I did stay on them, were pretty uncomfortable.

Fast forward another 48 hours, and I returned to the hotel to be told by my friend that we had no pool access due to the preparations for the New Years Eve gala on the 31st December. At no stage were we advised that the pool would be closed. I did not get an email from my online booking agent, was not advised upon check-in, nor via a memo delivered from room service that happens in so many other hotels. Access resort refute this, however its not the case.

31st December we were woken up incredibly early by workers continuing to erect the stage for the Gala, lots of loud banging, shouting and general workers noise, not acceptable at 7am when you are on holiday and want to be able to sleep in.

The gala that night. Well what can I say, it was horrendous. We paid a compulsory $250 each person for this gala, so I was expecting top of the range food and entertainment. For that sort of money in Melbourne, I can get a 9 course degustation menu and alcohol at a top restaurant. Well wasn’t I disappointed. The food, terrible, cold, inedible. The entertainment, lacklustre. The girl who is their house singer, who although has a decent voice, is stuck in the 70’s & 80’s playing the old hits by ABBA and such. It was the same music we had listened to in the restaurant since we arrived, very boring. The music was so loud, it gave me an earache, and I noticed a number of people around me covering up their ears. To then be asked to PAY for drinks, on top of what we had already paid, was a complete farce, especially as they increased the house price of their drinks as well.

The dinner started at 6.30pm, we were gone by 8pm. Not a great start to the evening. I stopped by the reception desk before we left, asking to speak to the manager who was apparently busy with the Gala, so I wrote an extensive complaint to be passed on.

The next morning, again after a reasonably late night, we were woken ridiculously early to the noise of the workers breaking down the stage from the night before.

I hadn’t heard anything from management by the 2nd of January, so I again went to the reception desk asking to speak to the manager, which is when I spoke to Mr Ratchapol Boonthanom (MR PAUL) Conveying my disappointment and concerns. Now this is where the fun and games begin.

I told Paul that we had chosen the resort based on the hotel, and as such were incredibly disappointed that we were unable to use said pool for 3 days due to the gala that we had not been informed about it. He told me that we had been informed of that via our booking agent to which I replied in the negative. Had I known about it, I would have requested another room.

He volunteered then, a late checkout and also a refund of 2 nights accommodation for the hassle. This was offered to me on the proviso I didn’t write a review on trip advisor. I agreed to the terms.

We checked out as agreed on the 4th of December, and proceeded home to Melbourne.

I decided that I would write an email to Mr Paul, who I had had wonderful correspondence with prior to even arriving at the hotel, outlining our agreement and to thank him for his understanding.

His response shocked me. Access resort had reneged on the offer of a refund, due to a review on trip advisor, that was a complaint very similar to my own. I did not write this review. He then told me that trip advisor had told him that it was me, and the email address corresponded with the one I had been using in my emails to him. This was a downright lie, as my trip advisor log in is completely different.

The emails went back and forth, and I admit in a couple I did get quite angry, due to the fact that I was being called a liar. I decided to call Mr Paul on his mobile phone to have a frank and open conversation with him. He finally agreed that I had not written the review, but his boss (whose name I was never given) was very angry with the review, and their reneged deal still stood.

I then contacted Asia rooms direct who I had booked the accommodation through, and went through it with them. They managed to come up with something that may be construed as compensation with the hotel – a voucher for 2 nights accommodation, which expires in November 2014. Now seeing as I had just returned from Thailand, and hadn’t been to the country in a few years, what is the likelihood of me travelling to Phuket, to this hotel, before November this year for a start, and why would I again stay in a hotel that had treated me in this manner?

I again called Mr Paul to convey my disappointment in this “offer” as it is basically useless to me and is far from the compensation offered. His response, was he would have to escalate it. I made in total 4 phone calls to Mr Paul, costing me significant money in attempt to prevent this review, asking to speak to his boss. If he even exists, he is a very busy man, either in Bangkok, sick or on days off. He obviously has no desire to make his hotel look good or respond to customer concerns. To this date my request to speak with him was never fulfilled. Only today, my friend contacted Mr Paul and he responded saying the issue had been resolved. Im sorry Mr Paul, but it was not resolved satisfactorily.

Add to this debacle, housekeeping was far from up to scratch. Never have I stayed in a hotel where the entire room wasn’t swept out, the bath not cleaned or hair left in the drain. Nor has it been the guests responsibility to let them know if they want their bed made, not changed, but just made.

Glasses from drinks from the bar were left in the room after housekeeping had been attracting ants and room service plates weren’t collected.

All in all, I’m incredibly disappointed in my stay here. Mr Paul, I know you will be reading this, and I know you will respond with some rubbish saying we resolved the issue, but the fact remains we did not and you have not bothered to contact me again as you promised to do so.

Stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: make sure if you are staying over new years you ask for a room away from the area where they set up...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank chardy1978
Ratchapol B, Front Office Manager at Access Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Khun Chardy 1978,

Refer to your reviews, we'd like to take this opportunity to clarify for your reviews as following;

1. Actually our hotel had informed all travel agents about our New Year Eve Gala Dinner as our formal letter that we've sent earlier 1 months ago as following details;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Novemver 25th 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

“Sawasdee Krup from ACCESS Resort & Villas team”

“Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2014”

In the name of Management & Staff, we are sincerely thank you for your staying with us.

It is a time to celebrate a New Year Eve Gala Dinner 2014. In order to preparing and successful this great event of the year, to memorable for you as our valuable clients.

Same as every year, we would like to inform you that the Main Swimming Pool of the Blue Wing, (Near by Blue Bar) will be preparing a show state and all set up from
30th December 2013 from 09.00 hrs onward until 01st January 2014 at 17.00 hrs.
There will be a noise during preparation and table set up on the pool area.

We are apologized for this inconvenience may cause to you. However our Swimming Pool of the Green Wing is available during this time.

On 31st December 2013, Our Pool Terrace Restaurant and Room Services will be closed from 15.00 hrs onward.

On 1st January 2014, our breakfast time will be open to service from 06.30 – 11.00 hrs.

In the name of ACCESS Resort & Villas’ Management and all staffs
We are sincerely hope to see your happy faces and let’s celebrate a New Year Eve
Gala Dinner on 31st December 2013 under concept “Pirates of The Andaman Sea (Episode II)”

Thank you for your kind understanding and patronage to our ACCESS Resort & Villas. Looking forward to welcome you and family to enjoy and celebrate New Year Eve night party 2014 with us.

Have a nice stay with us.

Khob Khun Krup,

The Management

So, all our guest must be had informed for this issue and will decide by themself to book our hotel during New Year Period.

2. About our breakfast that included our room rate, we provided fresh fruit and variety food mived up between Asian & European 7 days/week with different menu so we've to guarantee to our guests who stayed with ACCESS Resort & Villas must be have good breakfast every morning during 06.30 am till 10.30 am

3. About our New Year Eve Gala Dinner, we provided many kind of food, sweets and variety fruits for all out guest will enjoy for dinner and our dinner buffet started 06.30 pm till 11.00 pm so our guest have 4.30 hours to have dinner with unlimited food at our buffet line. from 07.30 pm till 12.00 am we've many shows with professional singer to entertain our guest before we count down to New Year 2014 and for drink that had informed all the guest that excluded from the dinner.

4. On January 2, 2014 the guest under name Mrs. Suzanne contacted me regarding about the dinner and complaint for everything to me but I've listen and try to describe her for the fact in each complaint with reasonable and she request to have some compensate for her room because of her flight on January 4, 2014 at evening and she request for free late check out and I offer till 5 pm without charge (Actually charge 1,900 THB) but I've never told her for refund back 2 nights accommodation back to her but I've informed her that I must be discuss for her request with the management and the management offer her 2 nights complimentary by hotel voucher that she or someone who can use this complimentary hotel voucher to stay at our hotel from 01 April 2014 to 30 November 2014. This is the big issue that start she called direct to the hotel for ask about her compensate with mony not hotel voucher. Actually I'd not guarantee with her for refund money back and the management had finished for this case with offer 2 nights free for next stay but she tried to send her email to complaint the hotel again and threaten me if the hotel had not refund money for 2 night back to her then she will published this reviews on Tripadvisor, so I'm not surprise when I saw this reviews by today (07/02/2014 - This guest checked out on 04/01/2014)

5. All of this complaints will be passed to their online travel agent: Asiawebdirect.com for keep references because of we've completed this complaint with Asiawebdirect since 3 weeks ago and we do hope all reader this review will know for what happened with actuality.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have seen some of the reviews on trip advisor and thought it good to also comment. I stayed for 10 days in May 2010 and I thought the place was great. The highlight was having access to the pool right at the room. I found the staff to be fantastic and very helpful and more then willing to help with any requests.

The menu in the restaurant was good and I have to disagree with some of the comments regarding breakfast because I thought it was great. Plenty of food, a combination on asian and western items.

Yes it is a bit far from the beach but surely you would have looked on google maps before you booked ! their is a regular free shuttle to Karon Beach and its only a few $$ to catch a taxi or tuk tuk back.

I didn't go for a holiday in Thailand to be in a crowded hotel in downtown Patong, I chose to stay away a bit. Sitting by the pool was so relaxing and a world away from the hustle and bustle.

Would happily stay their again.

Kind Regards
Glenn

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ratchapol B, Front Office Manager at Access Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Khun Glenn,

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 22 nights both times and it was absolute bliss! Majority of the staff are very helpful and the food is excellent and well priced. Plenty of other restaurants within walking distance. Would highly recommend and will personally be back again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ratchapol B, Front Office Manager at Access Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 10 January 2014

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had a great stay at this resort. The location is good although quite a drive from the airport. Our room in the blue wing was great and we enjoyed the water access...where else can you swim from your room to the bar!? Room service by the waiter in his rowboat was priceless. Avoid using the hotel transport service...its over priced. Reception staff could have been friendlier.

Room Tip: Blue wing with water access.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J_A_Travels1
Ratchapol B, Front Office Manager at Access Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,

However, our hotel taxi price are suitable that we've compare with other other in this area (Karon Beach)

Doha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

My Wife, Daughter and I spent 10 days at this resort over Christmas. Unlike other resorts I went to I felt the staff here really tried to help us have a good time. We had a room with a private pool. The bed was fine and the room was well maintained. We also managed to use the main pools and the pool bar was good. We ate a lot in the hotel and although it was not the finest of food it was very satisfactory. Wifi was an issue for a couple of days but was resolved. Overall a great 10 days that we really enjoyed.

Room Tip: There is a lack of fine dining and if you have to travel through Patong it will take a long time in...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family