“Luxurious, adventurous, fun stay but ordinary exterior”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed at the Centara for three nights in February. The hotel didnt look very pretty as I prefer more boutique-y hotels but it was a great experience. Kids would love this place with their lazy river, diving off a rock, kids pool sections (so did I but was surrounded by kids) The food is great, the staff are very friendly though my mouth was aching from wishing them back all the time.
I spent most of my time in the plunge pool outside my room and in my bed which was super comfortable. The city centre is a five min walk-easy to get to, even enjoy a meal or few outside-great restaurants in the vicinity.
Most importantly, the hotel is good with the small touches and their staff is exceedingly nice (my luggage got put in with a wrong van and the staff really helped me)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank wildeyedgirl
There are newer reviews for Centara Karon Resort Phuket

Reviewed 21 March 2011

A good hour and a half from the airport by car, which we knew in advance, it gave us a chance to have a look at the island, which was interesting. First impressions of the hotel were not good, the exterior frontage of the hotel looks dreadful, unfinished paving, weeds and rubbish, nothing like the brochures, made worse when we were greeted by staff who were only interested in getting a credit card block payment of 7000.00THB before we could check in, to cover any damages!! Would have been nice to have been advised of this beforehand! I don't even carry a credit card, and didn't have enough cash on me, very annoying.
Hotel itself was quite nice, clean tidy rooms, beautiful gardens, three nice swimming pools (one of which is the kids pool) although as is always the case getting a lounger isn't easy, especially given the numerous Russian holiday makers, who lay claim to the majority of them whether they plan on using them or not!
The spa was lovely, with very nice treatments and staff,
Food seemed pretty good, breakfast was good and plentiful, didn't dine in hotel so can't comment.
Phuket itself wasn't really my cup of tea (only went for the diving which was ok) pretty much Benidorm only hotter, extremely westernised, so much so it was easier to get pizzas and burgers than real Thai food, and the prices were extortionate by Thai standards.
The hotel is a five minute walk to the very busy Karon beach, which was ok though rather dirty, preferred to swim and sunbathe in and around the hotel pool,
If you want a beach holiday and enjoy Benidorm/ Blackpool but want somewhere a bit hotter then great, if you want to experience Thailand give it a wide berth, we much preferred the more authentic Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand, no beaches, but beat Phuket hands down in every other respect!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This hotel is massive and is seperated into 4 sections and is so big that there is actually a golf cart to take you to your room. So I can really only comment on the section that I stayed in which is around the childrens pool.

I stayed in a family room (2103 to be exact) and it was in the most perfect location for me. 5 metres to the kids club/playground, 10 metres to the pool and 15 metres to breakfast.
Everything wasn't perfect but most of it was so I could live with the little imperfections. To make it easy lets do things in order
Checkin:- The thing about Thailand is that they still want to see a booking confirmation despite the fact everything is on the internet these days so check in is still in the dark ages (but so was the other hotel i stayed in). Its reasonably quick and no need to leave a creditcard imprint just $100 Aussie dollars.
Room: massive room on the ground floor with 2 queen beds which walked out onto the large grounds. It had a bath and a shower and was probably the biggest hotel room i've ever stayed in. The small imperfections was that there are plenty of mossies (but if you keep the doors closed you should be able to avoid this), the front door didn't close properly and there was music noise from the restaurant (15 metres away) till 10pm.
Pools: Wow, what can I say, a kids heaven. I have a 3 and 6 year old and with the 2 waterslides and waterfall they had a ball (as did I on those water slides). I can't really comment on the other 2 pools because we were so impressed with the kids pool that there was no need for us to venture away from it. Now some people reserve seats along the pool which really bugs me despite the sign that tell you that this won't be tolerated it is totally ignored and not policed. infact we saw someone put ther towels down at 9am and not come back to the pool till 4pm (by which time there was plenty of room anyway) but this seems to be a problem at every hotel I stay at but it is something that can be improved on. The pool side service seemed to be non existant but they did have a great 2pm happy hour with 2 for 1 ice creams as well as 2 for 1 happy hour for the adults between 4 - 6. The good thing is that there was no policy about bringing your own food to the pool so this made things a lot easier with the price of hotel drinks being about 4 times the price of the corner store (50c for a coke).
Breakfast: Okay but not great. bacon only on every second day with fried ham on the alternate days (why?). there were 2 places to eat which seemed to break up the crowd and the place never seemed to get busy and you could relax and enjoy your food. there was plenty of fruit, pastries, cakes, local food and an egg station (so you can choose your eggs anyway you like them). Everything was fresh and quickly replanished.
Staff: Okay to great. The local staff (Thais) were awesome and said hello everytime we saw them, but thats just the thai people who are warm and generous, but there were also some European staff who would just walk past you and not even great you with a smile. Now i'm Aussie and we say hello to everyone so it really got up my goat that there were staff that did this. I beleive they ran a kids club for Finish children at the hotel but we were not informed or told anything about this apon checkin so I can't be sure exactly what there jobs were at this hotel..
Service: okay, on 2 occasions they forgot to refil our free drinking water and on another occasion forgot to give us any towels. If you want Laundry done, which you will need done, then please just go out on the street and pay 50 - 70 baht a kg ($2). Its way cheaper then the hotel and they do seem to do a great job.
Location: as Karon goes it is the best located hotel right in the thick of it and within walking distance of about 50 restaurant, bars and shopping.

I think thats it other then room service price etc. I've been traveling to Thailand for 10 years now and have got used to not eating at the hotel and bringing back cheap drinks from the 7-11s (which are on every street corner) so I can't comment on the food other then breakfast but it did seem cheaper then other hotels ive stayed at.

If you want a prefect sunset then walk down to the round about take a right, cross the road and keep walking along the beach until you hit about 6 restaurants. There not fancy but they do serve good food and have a fantastic view of the sunet a cheap price

Would I stay here again? Yes, If I had kids under 12 years but I might choose a more age appropriate hotel if traveling only as a couple or with teenage kids.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank rat014
Reviewed 8 March 2011

this is such a good resort ,everyone is so friendly and in typical Thai style they will bend over backwards to help you.we always stay in connecting lagoon view rooms, they are always clean , and fresh sheets every day, great breakfasts (all you can eat buffet asian & western) the pool bar cocktails are really good especially at happy hour. They are also very child friendly especially with our active 6year old boy who is always up to some kind of mischief. The beach, shops & markets are all just a stroll away as are the restaurants and bars. we always favour the papaya restaurant, a great ambience super fast ,clean very child friendly, the staff even entertain our 6 year old so we can enjoy the great thai food. we will return as soon as we can

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank stevew70
Reviewed 5 March 2011

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were looked after very well by the staff. We were greeted with a refreshing drink and then shown a couple of rooms. We decided to upgrade to a Superior Lagoon room for a small additional cost. The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. The hotel grounds were lovely and we found all of the staff extremely helpful and friendly - I even had a cake and card delivered to our room on my birthday which was a lovely suprise. The hotel was quiet at night and the beds were very comfortable so we slept very well. There was a choice of 3 swimming pools or alternatively the beach was only a few minutes walk away. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in Karon but we made a few trips into Patong which was much livelier. The hotel breakfast offered a good choice but we decided to have our other meals outside of the hotel as this was cheaper. We also found an internet cafe near the supermarket round the corner to be much better value than the hotel. There are plenty of places to get massages other than the hotel - we liked 'Relax massage ' on the road up to the market. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will definately be returning to Thailand. It is hard to believe that the people who have given negative reports stayed in the same place!

• Stayed: February 2011
6  Thank Blueboy64
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We stayed in the cabana rooms with own pool we had room 1012, room was amazing and we had a front garden and back garden with the pool . We had the sun on the pool from 12 till 3 so we could sunbath on our own. Just a few problems the shower had to be fixed and we had a leak under the sink with horrid brown water that was never fixed also our sheets where never changed I would off thought more from having the top room.the free cocktails ever night where great but we ordered the breakfast one morning and it never came . It took 5 phone calls to get it with staff putting the phone down on me. We got it in the end at1130 again not good. But great location loved karon and can't wait to go back.but take looks off insect repellent as full off bugs .

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank sugar78
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Centara Karron Beach Phuket Thailand-a tale of two hotels.
We have taken holidays in Thailand six separate years and have stayed in a dozen or more three and four star hotels, prior to a recent holiday we were of the opinion Thailand hotels and service are second to none.
The Centara is in the centre of the busy end of Karron beach a good way from this beach. There is a main block of nine stories of mainly “superior rooms” and a number of better rooms set in smaller blocks/cabanas placed in pleasant gardens most with pool view. The view from the main block is of busy down market streets, busy car park or the derelict space in the front of the hotel. Our “superior room” in the main block was of a low standard (we have had better rooms in low cost Tavelodges) with a bed that was hard as a brick. The general standard of service was adequate but lacked the attention to detail which is normal in Thailand this was possibly due to poor supervision.
We did try in the beginning to change hotels but Thomas Cook were not particularly co-operative ( Mr Pok our Rep was fantastic in all regards). There was an offer to upgrade to their deluxe rooms at extra cost well into our holiday, availability was limited possibly due to the number of guests requesting upgrade, many complaints were expressed. We rescued our holiday by retaining our room and spending a week in the Katathani Hotel a beautifull environment on Kata Noi Beach.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple