“Lovely holiday”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for 8 nights when we visited Thailand for the first time this year.

We liked:

- The staff. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The reception staff in particular were excellent, giving us advice about buses (where to get on and the price), helping us to track down our travel rep company to find out the time of our minibus back to the airport and a swift and friendly check in.

- The food. We only ate at the hotel for breakfasts (we had the buffet every day). It was delicious. There was a very good selection of fruit, pastries, breads and hot breakfasts with continental, english and thai styles of food. Everything is made freshly, and they will make you omelettes to order.
My breakfast tips would be to sit under a fan, near the edge if you are not used to the heat and to use the toaster to heat up the croissants.

- The cocktails. In a good few restaurants and bars nearby, we noticed that the cocktails are really small. In the hotel they are the same as you would expect in the UK and are reasonably priced. They have a very good selection, all the ones we tried were delicious. We had cocktails a couple of times each at the main pool bar and the beer terrace.

- The entertainment. The nights that we went to the beer terrace for drinks, we sat outside (there is the option to sit inside as well, but I am not sure why you would want to as the atmosphere outside was so nice). The musicians who are employed to provide the music were very talented. Very nice singing voices and they contributed to the atmosphere of the terrace.

- The locality. The hotel is well located, a 5-10 minute walk to the beach, shopping, restaurants, massage parlours etc right outside and the bus stops on the main road within a 5 minute walk.
My recommendations in the area are Kai Massage which is on the main road. They have the cheapest rates for fish foot spa and we had Thai massages there as well which were good and cheap. I also recommend Hakan's Bar (turn left at the roundabout at the beach and then it is just a little way along, on the left) which has excellent food and service.

- The wildlife. We saw lizards and little tiny geckos outside. At night, it is nice to walk over the little bridge beside the Lotus restaurant because the bullfrogs sing, though you can't see them.

- The room. Our bed was very comfortable. I don't remember having one bad night's sleep. The room was also nicely decorated and the ensuite was nice. The shower was spacious (I don't like box showers with curtains that stick to you, this one was big enough to move around in properly). The view wasn't spectacular but it was looking on to a relatively quiet street of colourful houses which was quite nice. Equipped with a safe and some minibar items including mosquito repellent which was useful as we forgot to buy some ourselves in time. Reasonably priced. The room was well maintained by the cleaning staff.

- Not too many children! As we were travelling as a couple and have spent the last couple of years at adult only hotels we were a little bit worried that the place might be overrun with screaming children. However we did not see many children and those we did see were well behaved. I think it helps that there are a few different pools so the children tend to group to a different one than the one we went to.

- Table tennis. There is a table tennis room where you can play for free. We brought our own bats and ball just in case but you don't need to, they have good quality equipment available. The room is air conditioned but it can still get quite hot while playing as the fans are not exactly over the tables. Every time we went to play, we had the room to ourselves which was nice, but there are 2 tables anyway so it would have been fine if more people had wanted to play.

- The trips. We organised these through our travel rep, not the hotel, but if you are staying in Phuket for the first time or you haven't been on any trips, then I really recommend that you go on at least one. We went to Koh Phi Phi, James Bond Island (where we were taken through caves on sea canoes) and elephant riding/white water rafting on the mainland. All 3 were awesome.

I can't think of anything that we didn't like about the hotel, so I believe that's all I have to say. I would recommend and I would return. Thank you, Centara!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rosalind A
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Rosalinda A,
Thank you very much for writing such a thorough review, it is very much appreciated.
I was very happy to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful, in particular our staff on reception that does a super job.
In terms of location we are located in an excellent spot, close to the beach and all the local amenities.
Our grounds are splendid, which is thanks to our Gardening Department who do an amazing job of maintaining them. The wildlife is superb within the resort; the bullfrogs by the bridges are a delight.
It was pleasing to hear that you were happy with your room and it met your expectations, wonderful.
We are a family resort, however due to our extensive grounds there is some where for everyone. The kids tend to stay by the Lagoon pool because of the slides. The Tropicale pool tends to be more relaxed and chilled out; there is also a pool bar that serves some delightful refreshing cocktails and other drinks are on the menu.
Yes, the table tennis tables are located in the Fitness Centre; I was pleased you took advantage of our free facilities.
Thank you once more for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back, rest assured we will be here to ensure that you have a great holiday at Centara Karon Resort.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Our family have just returned from our second stay at Centara Karon Resort. We love it! Our room was in the Lagoon wing, which suited our boys (aged 12 & 13) as the pool with the water slides was close by. The boys especially enjoyed the swim-up bar in the pool, where they felt pretty special ordering their own icecreams and smoothies. Happy kids = happy, relaxed parents! The pizzas were always delicious, too. The room was clean and made up every day. The turn-down service at night was an unexpected treat and the orchids left on the beds were a beautiful touch. We ate breakfast in the Lotus Restaurant each morning, as we found there was a wider choice for food there. All of us were huge fans of the omelet station. The staff are always so happy, smiling and helpful and the gardens are immaculately kept. One fabulous thing about this resort is it's location to all the restaurants and shopping in Karon - right outside the gates of the resort. We ate out every night at many of the local Thai restaurants, but Ying (on the left hand side heading up towards the temple on Patak Rd was our favourite). The foot massages at Apple Massage (in the second street out of the resort gates) were fabulous. There are numerous little supermarkets where you can buy your water as well. The market in the Karon Temple grounds is on every Tues & Sat night, and is a 5min stroll away from the resort. We organised our airport transfers through the resort and Mr Alex was a friendly, safe driver. All in all, a wonderful holiday. Now just confirming our dates to return again next year!

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank angepete

Dear angepete,
Thank you very much for the lovely review.
I was delighted to read that you had another great holiday here at Centara Karon Resort.
The Lagoon rooms are great and of course the kids love the Lagoon pool and the slides, thus I was delighted your children enjoyed them as well including the smoothies, ice creams and pizzas.
Housekeeping do a splendid job of cleaning all our rooms, I was pleased to hear you enjoyed our turn-down service and appreciated the orchids that were left on the bed, it is indeed a nice touch.
Our international buffet breakfast is divine, the egg station does serve wonderful omelets, I am happy you enjoyed them.
Yes, all our staff are super friendly and are always happy to help. Our gardens are superb, which is a reflection of our wonderful gardening team who do an outstanding job of maintaining the grounds.
The location of our resort is perfect; we are in close proximity to all the local amenities, and a short walk to the famous Karon beach.
We look forward to you returning to Centara Karon in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Anyone reading reviews or internet searching photos already know that this resort has beautiful gardens and pools, is in a GREAT location. We stayed June 22 - July 6 2014. The BEST thing about this resort, which sets it apart from the others - is the STAFF.

The nicest, friendliest, most helpful staff I have come across - my 5th time to Thailand, 1st time to Karon. Special shout out to Aun - the lovely Aun who was so nice to our 2 year old that Oakley wanted to take him home to Australia with us! On our last day, he arrived at breakfast with a wrapped present for Oakley - these people really go beyond what they are paid to do!

Rolex too is just great and the bellboys among the nicest people we have ever met. The greatest strength for this Resort is the staff and I hope they are appreciated and acknowledged by the Centara Group.

This Resort is great value - we stayed in 2 adjoining Deluxe lagoon Rooms, we couldn't have been happier with everything - thanks all, we will be back!!

Room Tip: Lagoon Rooms if you have young children are great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 3Lynne7

Dear 3Lynne7,
Thank you very much for your kind words, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our staff.
We do pride ourselves on being one hundred per cent customer service orientated, which is well reflected in your comments. Yes, Aun does a great job, likewise Rolex and our concierge team. Please rest assured our staff are well acknowledged by us for doing an outstanding job.
I am pleased we met your expectations and we may have exceeded them. We look forward to you returning when you visit Phuket for your next holiday.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I travelled half way round the world to Phuket in Thailand and stayed for 9 nights (10 days) at the Centara Resort in Karon Phuket. This must be one of the most reviewed hotels on TripAdvisor, so I am not sure what I can add really, but I will have a go.

We hired a car from the Airport and arrived at about 9pm at night tired but initially impressed with this hotel. We were in the main hotel on the third floor room 1312, which was perfectly fine.

When we arrived, I realised that I had given our hotel voucher to the Car Hire people at the Airport, but the very pleasant reception staff brought us over a sweet cold drink and said that if I was able to retrieve the details from my email from the online reservation via Travel Republic then I could email it to them, and they would print out the details and that would suffice. So the next day, that’s exactly what I did, without any problems, so thankfully not a big issue.

The complex itself, as many other reviews have stated is large and comprises of 3 swimming pools. Gym, several restaurants of which you can have your breakfast at either, which was the same every day, but quite good. Our room was perfectly adequate with a huge bed and a hot shower (no bath), they also had a reasonable mini bar and the room service was cheap and very good. The TV catered for English speaking people, and had several movie channels, the Air Conditioning worked well and was needed in the humid hot climate. No noise could be heard from the other rooms, the lifts worked well, the bar was a bit expensive, but all was good with the surrounding grounds they were very well kept.

The surrounding shops and bars/restaurants were within a few yards of the hotel, and were fine. As we hired a car and they do drive on the left, the same as the UK, we did get around the island to various locations such as Patong and the nature reserve, Phi Phi Island etc., but Karon is completely fine, but the sea is wild and the beach although cleanish, doesn’t really cater for the tourist.

I must say that all the staff at the resort are very polite and helpful, we wanted to keep our room on the day we left until 5pm, and they agreed for a price of £20.00, as we had a late flight, which is 15 hours back to the UK stopping in United Emirates.

One slightly disturbing thing about Karon and I assume all over Phuket, which is nothing to do with the hotel, is the fact that very large rats do come out at night and rummage in the little bins etc., which takes you by surprise, but I suppose it is a third world country, therefore to be expected.

On the whole a great first experience in Thailand stopping at the Centara Karon resort, 10 out of 10 for this hotel, great for families and couples, lots of friendly Australian people seem to stay here.

Also wander along the main road to see many live bands and tribute bands, they are really entertaining, we will be back.

Mark & Michaela

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkWButler5705

Dear MarkwButler5705,
Thank you for the extensive review, it is very much appreciated.
I was pleased that check-in was smooth despite you leaving your hotel voucher with the car hire people, we are always accommodating.
Yes, we are a big resort complex with many amenities which you stated in your review. An international buffet breakfast is served daily, there is something for everyone, and the food is of course to a very high quality.
I was pleased you enjoyed your room, the mini bar, cable t.v., room service and the much needed air con.
Our grounds are indeed very well kept, this as I have stated previously is due to our wonderful Gardening Department who work tirelessly to maintain our high standards.
The location of our hotel as you quite rightly pointed out is perfect. We are close to all the shops, bars, restaurants and Karon beach.
Once more thank you for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Karon Resort in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Just had a great 2 week stay at the Centara Karon staying in the Tropicale. Check in was smooth but we had an issue with the premium lounge as our agent said it was included but the hotel said it wasn't, Centara did their best to resolve with our agent Travelbag who were non responsive, but eventually after a week it was resolved. This also happened to our friends. The premium lounge is a good option if you like a few drinks in the evening and is very cost effective. The room was spacious and clean but our only complaint was that the rooms were always damp including the bedding and our clothes and this seemed to affect all our rooms, it is a humid place and we tried all sorts to dry the room out but I think an upgrade to the ancient air conditioning is maybe needed. We ate breakfast at both restaurants, both good with azure being a little quieter and Lotus having a little more choice, everything we ate at the hotel was good and also reasonably priced. Drinks were also reasonable with a nice selection of cocktails and making use of the happy hour prices at the pool bar and the buy one get one free at mix bar can save $, the beer terrace is also a very cheap option as for some reason they don't add the service charge and tax which is 17% throughout the rest of the hotel. Our daughter went to kids club on a few occasions and enjoyed it. The gym is modern and a good facility but if you don't get there early there were often no cold towels or any towels available. All the pools are great, pool party at the terrace on a Thursday was a lot of fun. There is wildlife around the hotel bats, lizards, frogs, butterflies and we even saw a snake but it is Thailand and we loved the fact the hotel is in the middle of busy Karon but as soon as you get past the car park it becomes beautiful gardens and amazingly quiet, and we loved seeing the various creatures. It's easy to walk out of the hotel and find numerous bars and restaurants close by offering lots of options. Apple massage is worth a visit and the lady in the little booth opposite Apple massage will do amazing deals on tours. It's approx 5 minutes walk to the beach from the hotel. If you are looking for a good value, full facility, family orientated resort hotel then you will be happy with this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MrsWoodie

Dear Mrs. Woodie,
I was pleased to read that your check-in was smooth, and that we were able to help in resolving your issue with TravelBag concerning our Premium Lounge. The Premium Lounge which can be included at additional charge is indeed a good option if you like some nice relaxing drinks in the evening
I am pleased you enjoyed your room, though I do apologise for the dampness of the room. A room change is always possible subject to availability.
Likewise I am pleased you enjoyed the buffet breakfast. In terms of food and drink, we offer excellent value for money. Our menus in the Lotus restaurant, Azure restaurant and the Beer Garden are extensive, in the Beer Garden as you stated service charge and tax is not added.
Our Fitness Centre does offer good modern facilities with various equipment on offer for our guests to use. In terms of towels please feel free to ask our gym instructors for one, they will be more than happy to oblige.
Our gardens are superb so they do attract the wildlife, and yes you may see a snake.
The location of our hotel is perfectly situated; we are close to all the local amenities that Karon offers.
Thank you very much for your review, we most definitely look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Karon Resort in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this beautiful hotel for 10 nights with my girlfriend. The staff were fantastic, friendly and very helpful. The good was very tasty and to be able to eat pool side with a cold drink was terrific. The grounds and facilities are of a very high standard too. Well located to see the rest of what Karon has to offer too. If you are looking for a hotel in Karon then you will struggle to find better.

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Craigymac_83
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Craigymac_83,
Thank you very much for such a nice review, it is very much appreciated.
I concur in terms of our staff being fantastic, friendly and helpful, I am very pleased you thought so.
Yes, our food is excellent and most definitely tasty, and as you stated we do offer food and drink service around the pools.
Our location is very well located; we are close to all the local amenities.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Haven't travelled much but was blown away by service, food, rooms and location at Centara Karon. Markets, shopping, restaurants just outside the hotel boundary. Be sure to ask for the Bart Bonanza. You pay 10,000 bart and you get 15,000 bart worth of food and beverage. This is obviously to keep you in the Hotel, which is fine as their food portion are plentiful, delicious and varied, however you must sign up for this in the first 24 hours of being there. Beware the laundry service. $33 for one load. Walk 20 metres outside the Hotel boundary and pay $5.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jan O

Dear Jan O,
Thank you for your kind review.
I was delighted to read that you were blown away by the service, food, rooms, and location, thank you so much, we do pride ourselves on giving one hundred per cent customer service satisfaction.
Additionally I was happy to hear that you took advantage of our Baht Bonanza, getting an additional 5,000 Baht on the 10,000 Baht you pay is a fantastic offer, pleased you took advantage.
Yes, our food portions are plentiful, delicious and we do have such varied menus, so I am pleased you enjoyed the food.
In terms of our laundry service, we offer a professional laundry service, which cannot necessarily be said for those places outside of the hotel. Thus I believe we offer value for money.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Karon in the future.