“Looks can be deceiving”

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #20 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were really looking forward to this hotel a little 5 star luxury and service. ....... Did not quite meet our expectations. On arrival our room was not ready we arrived at 2pm and our room was handed to us at 5pm . The check in staff had an air of rudnes about them . Finally when we did get our room it was not what we requested as we were travelling with a 11 y/o child we requested a room with two double beds 3 months earlier , we ended up with a king bed . No efforts to rectify this were made . They bought in a roll away bed and we had no room to move in the room. We had a junior suite with a plunge pool. The whole complex is spread out all over the place; it has a good area for children , waterslides and the like room service food was of good quality breakfast was ok. Staff seemed disinterested and under pressure . It was not the 5 star quality we have grown accustomed to in Thailand I would need a lot of convincing to return.

3  Thank mimmsmars
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear Guest,
this review is for the wrong hotel.
The photos are of our sister hotel in Karon. In any case thank you for staying with Centara Hotels and Resorts and we hope to see you again.
Best Regards,
Austin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,074)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for 8 nights in June in a "tropical" room. It is a good hotel for family - lovely pool, great pool side food. It was a pleasant relief to get home after a day out. The rooms were very large, well air conditioned and clean....good basic family accommodation. Breakfast was the standard basic Asian hotel buffet. The hotel is a good 10 minutes walk to the beach but close to good restaurants and shops. The spa was expensive and hard to book we found the local spa shops much better value, friendly and clean. Phuket is heading down the path of Bali chaos on the roads, redevelopment everywhere but nothing near finished. Beach very average. For a cheap holiday it was a good hotel. Karon is a nice family area away from the strip bars etc. For a value for money special holiday I'd go to Vietnam any day.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the "tropical" rooms. They overlook a lovely pool and are at the ba...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank stratty
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Stratty,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us, it is appreciated.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Tropical room, our lovely pool, and the great pool side food.
Our breakfast buffet is international, which is reflected in the various dishes that are available, for example bacon with the accompanying condiments, red and brown sauce.
In terms of proximity we are indeed located next to the local restaurants, shops, and the beach is just a short walk away.
Our spa staff are professionally trained, offer excellent professional massages, using the very finest herbs and oils, the spa is also located in a wonderful tranquil setting, thus I believe we offer excellent value for money, which is well reflected in previous Trip Advisor reviews.
Once more thank you for your review. If you decide to return to Phuket in the future, we will be delighted to welcome you back to Centara Karon Resort.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our fourth visit my family just love it and can't wait to return. The staff are all friendly & willing to please nothing is too much trouble for these lovely people. Special thanks to all the staff especially Nam ( lovely girl) and so helpful . Breakfast was fantastic and varied Asian ( my favorite ) and western ( my family's favorite ) pools are all good & clean with swim up bars , rooms are clean and spacious , very short walk to shops & beach. There was only 1 criticism there used to be traditional Thai music playing at breakfast but now they play a lot of Russian music .we visit Thailand for a Thai experience not a Russian one and im sure some Russians would agree .apart from that first class holiday once again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank steve w

Dear Steve W,
Thank you very much for your kind review, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our management team and staff.
I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly; we do pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort. Nam will be most appreciative of your comment, thank you for your kind comment.
I was very happy to read that you enjoyed our excellent international buffet, as you stated we offer Asian and Western dishes on the menu, something for everyone.
Our pools are exceptionally well maintained; therefore they are very clean, I am glad you enjoyed the swim up bars.
Likewise our housekeeping department does a fantastic job of ensuring that all rooms are cleaned to the very highest of standards. Once more, thank you for your kind comment.
Indeed we are a very short walk to all the shops and restaurants that Karon offers.
Regarding the music, I do apologise. At the time we had an issue with the music system, however I am pleased to inform you that this has been resolved and we now have Thai music playing at breakfast.
We look forward to you returning to Centara Karon Resort in the future for a fifth time.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed for 10 nights in July at this resort. The setting is very attractive with tropical gardens surrounding three large, well appointed pools. We stayed in the terraces and used the terrace pool which was perfect for a middle aged couple and was even shaded in the middle afternoon. The Lagoon pool is excellent for young families. Our room was well appointed and roomy with a good air conditioner, very comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was spacious, very clean and came with large soft towels. The resort facilities included a comfortable air conditioned gym, tennis courts, spa and two restaurants. Breakfast consisted of an extensive buffet of western and Thai foods making it too tempting to over eat. We chose this resort because it was a tranquil oasis right in the middle of Karon Beach only metres away from the restaurants and shops and were not disappointed. The beach is about a half km walk from the hotel, which wouldn't suit some tourists, but we tended to relax around the pools. WIFI worked very well and is free if you sign up for a Centara 1 card, which routinely happens when you check in. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I would happily stay at the Centara again on a future stay.

Room Tip: The Lagoon area is great for families couples are better suited by the other areas of the resort.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MichaelW57

Dear Michaelw57,
I was very happy to read that you enjoyed our wonderful tropical setting and our three pools. As you stated the Terraced pool is excellent for middle aged couples, whilst the Lagoon pool is very popular with families, children love the kids’ slide.
Our Terraced rooms are very nice, the much needed air con is a welcomed relief from the heat, beds and pillows are indeed comfortable, the rooms are exceptionally clean, the bathroom spacious and the towels are clean and soft. I am pleased you enjoyed your room.
The resort does offer excellent facilities, the fitness centre is well equipped, our two restaurants serve extensive menus, and our international buffet breakfast offers food choices for all tastes.
We are just a few minutes walk from all the local amenities, and I think you described our resort perfectly: a tranquil oasis right in the middle of Karon.
Thank you very much for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Karon Resort in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed for 8 nights with my family of four (2 adults, 7 yr old, 5 yr old) in early to mid July 2014.

Pros:
1) the close proximity to the Karon shops, eateries, the Karon temple market and local daily market (along the beach side);
2) the Lagoon pool with waterslides was great, as was the Tropix Pool (the varying and well-indicated water depths made it more child-friendly);
3) buffet breakfast at the Lotus was of a fairly decent quality and variety (although service was affected by the staff shortage for a few days due to the Buddhist holiday period);
4) the Azure Restaurant served decent wood-fired pizzas;
5) the Happy Hour (3-4pm) 2-for-1 ice cream deal at the Azure Restaurant was a nice treat;
5) the Lotus and Azure restaurant staff are polite, friendly and professional; and
6) the gardens and pool areas were well maintained;
7) rooms were sufficiently sized (although the bathroom lacked hanging hooks, rails for towels/clothes etc);
8) we had no problem with the free Wi-Fi (as a 1Centara card holder) - contrary to some other guest reviews, which is probably dependent on location within the resort.

Not a major issue, but the condition of certain aspects of the room looked a bit worse for wear and the bath/shower tended to look a bit dirty most likely due to age and the humid conditions. Dark textured floor tiles in the main room hid a hundred sins, and was obviously hoarding dirt despite being swept and mopped everyday by the diligent staff. I knew this because whenever we walked onto the lighter-coloured bathroom tiles, we would leave black footprints although we washed our feet earlier and hadn't walked around the room with shoes. It would be nice if management invested in electric vacuum cleaners! Nevertheless, the 'dirt' issue was made insignificant due to our two lovely housekeepers, Pom and Da, who looked after our family well during our stay.

We also like to mention King and Nam (Lotus Restaurant) who were so kind towards our kids and did a wonderful job during the busy buffet breakfast service.

Cons:
Reception on check-in and check-out was disappointing.
We have never come across a more insincere and disinterested 'welcome' spiel when we first arrived and was surprised by being required to provide a 5000 baht (approx. $160 AUD) deposit for our stay which was not in any T&Cs. Would suggest that this detail be made known prior to booking.
On check-out, I stood at the reception desk which had about 5 staff chaotically buzzing around including a supervisor/manager, but no-one cared to serve me although I was the only customer there. Finally the manager looked at me, so I said (with a smile) that I would like to check-out, but he just told me to 'go over there' and pointed to another side of the desk. So there I waited again - for about 5 minutes, whilst other customers were being attended to before a more polite staff member addressed me. I don't mind waiting if I know that there is a queue, but none of the staff bothered to say anything and just left me standing at the desk not knowing when I was going to be served - which is really unprofessional. This was a shame because it left a bad taste in my mouth on an otherwise enjoyable stay.
Surprisingly, although the reception staff are paid more, it is the lower staff on the pecking order ie. housekeeping and restaurant workers, who provide the most friendly, accommodating and helpful service. Kudos to them!

Room Tip: With young kids, ask for a ground floor Lagoon Room in a quieter area. Our Room 2101 matched this d...
5  Thank Traveller-wannabe71
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Travelling Wannabe,
Thank you very much for the review, it is appreciated.
I was delighted to read that you were happy with our location, Lagoon and Tropix pool, buffet breakfast, wood-fired pizzas, happy hour, our polite, friendly and professional staff at the Azure and Lotus restaurant, our gardens, your rooms and the free WIFI you received by signing up to the Centara 1 Card.
I will pass on your kind comments to Pom and Da from housekeeping, and to King and Nam at the Lotus restaurant. They do a splendid job in ensuring that guests receive the very best of customer service, thus I was delighted to hear your comments.
Regarding Front Office I do apologise that you were disappointed with check-in and check-out. If you could be so kind to offer further information please contact me at ckr@chr.co.th We do take this matter seriously and we will be more than happy to look into the matter further.
We do look forward to you returning to Centara Karon Resort, Phuket in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Wow - what a holiday! To escape the cold & enjoy the amazing hospitality of the Centara Karon Beach I would thoroughly recommend this Resort. The Resort is set in a lush green garden environment with paths leading you to all areas. The pools are gorgeous & inviting. Their is plenty to do - tennis, basketball, gym, yoga, & pool tables. The Restaurants all serve excellent size meals of good quality & the breakfast buffet is huge. I recommend the Cenvaree Spa within the Resort - it's very clean, fresh towels, talented girls & smells amazing.

Some outstanding staff are Ao who cleaned our room thoroughly every day with a cheery smile & happy disposition. Mr Boon who was a talented gardener that worked tirelessly every day in the hot sun & greeted us with a beaming smile on every occasion. Ploy in the Cenvaree Spa who gives amazing massages & is always so kind & smiley. Nong in the Lotus Restaurant is a kind, wonderful lady who leads her team by example with excellent service & superb attention to detail. The only disappointing staff area is the Reception which could provide far more pleasant assistance, have helpful attitudes & also brush up on their English as you would expect that area needs staff to be more fluent & be able to answer simple questions.

Some feedback for Management to improve Azure area would be to add umbrellas over the outdoor dining tables so customers would want to sit outside, enjoy the pool atmosphere & not fry in the sun during lunch times.

Room Tip: Definitely choose the Cabana Room - it is spacious, has extra outdoor shower, own cool spa pool &...
1  Thank 500TheHills

Dear 500TheHills,
Thank you very much for your kind review; it is appreciated by management and staff.
I concur our gardens are fabulous, the gardening team do a fantastic job of keeping the grounds lush and tidy. I will pass on your kind comment to Khun Boon, who is an asset to his team and the hotel.
In terms of our facilities, they are excellent. Our 3 pools are exceptionally well maintained, our gym is well equipped, and we have the tennis and basketball courts, with pool and tennis tables as well. I am happy you took advantage of our facilities.
Our chefs are excellent, and they work extremely hard to ensure our food standards are exceptionally high; the buffet breakfast is one great example of this. I will be sure to pass on your kind words.
The spa is fantastic; our team is professional, friendly and give excellent massages. The spa is set in tranquil surroundings, only the very finest of herbs and aromas are used as well. Khun Ploy will appreciate your kind comment, thank you for that.
Khun Ao in housekeeping works tirelessly to ensure our rooms are cleaned to the highest of standards that we insist upon here at Centara Karon Resort, Ao will be most appreciative of your comment.
Nong does a fantastic job in the Lotus restaurant; she sets an excellent example for her team and indeed has superb attention to detail.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future if you decide to return to Phuket.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in the Tropicale wing and could recommend this three star hotel to families with young kids looking for a resort type stay in Karon for the following reasons: it has family friendly facilities, is good value and in a decent location.

On the downside, WiFi is not free except in a couple of public areas, the breakfast "wait to be seated" system is ridiculously understaffed and results in long queues and waiting for no good reason (Staying in the Premium wing we could also eat at another area and did so more than once just to avoid the queue in the main area.)

Also watch out for a couple of things at the children's pool area, firstly each kid's drink, will cost your more than two beers in a bar outside the hotel gate and if the kids are invited to play in that large clear ball brought to the pool each afternoon - you as their parent will then be asked to pay 300 baht - the current minimum day's wage in Thailand - or $A10 cash per child for that play - no charging to the room, cash only.

Evening drinks in the Premium lounge make the upgrade cost worthwhile.

Room Tip: No kids? Try the premium rooms in the Tropicale wing
1  Thank Nangfah
Management77, Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Nangfa,
Thank you for the review.
Yes, we pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort with excellent facilities, we are excellent value for money and likewise our location is excellent.
WIFI is free if you sign up to the Centara 1 Card before leaving home or on arrival, I do apologise you were not given this information.
We experience busier times at the Lotus restaurant for breakfast; this is why we have the waiting to be seated system in place. Alternatively all guests are permitted to eat breakfast at the Azure restaurant, which is posted on the board in front of the Lotus restaurant.
All of our drinks including kids’ drinks are very competitive in price for a 4 star hotel.
Concerning the floating ball, we have reviewed our pricing and policy in terms of payment. The rate is now 100 Baht and it can be charged to your room.
Once more thank you for the review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Karon Resort in the future.