We have just returned from a wonderful holiday to Phuket staying at the Centara Karon Beach Resort in Phuket. Initially we were sceptical about travelling to Thailand, due to this time of year being the start of the monsoon season, but decided to bite the bullet after getting a fab deal (via [--]), which reflects the low season rates! We had wonderful weather during our 2 week break, only having one day where it rained and was overcast.
We booked this hotel, after much deliberation of reading the reviews on this hotel and have to echo the sentiments of others, that the grounds, rooms, service of staff and amenities were wonderful. In hindsight, when we go back to Thailand again, we would book a beachfront hotel, as despite it only being a short walk, the area surrounding the hotel was not that great and did not give the feeling of a tropical paradise!
We stayed in the Premium Deluxe room, which overlooked the Tropicale pool. As seasoned travellers, the quality by which I book our hotels, largely rest on swimming pools and this did not fail to disappoint. It was always a divine temperature, never busy, had a swim up bar and was huge, to undertake some lap swimming, as well as just cooling off...
The lagoon pool, was more aimed at young children and families and the plunge pool, by the main hotel was just another option. The hotel's Spa Cenvaree, was lovely and reasonably priced. You could pay for treatments much more cheaply in the shops outside of the hotel complex, but I am a firm believer in that 'you get what you pay for'!
There are also some lovely restaurants close to the hotel, our particular favourites was the Bamboo Kitchen & Two Chef's. Also good was the Red Onion (always busy), Karlssons and Vitaporn (both along the beach road, about a 10 min walk, from the roundabout by the beach).
Whilst we were there, we celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary, so we ate at a lovely resteraunt in Patong called the 9th Floor. It was a cocktail bar/restaurant with floor to ceiling glass windows, which concertinas’ out. This was our most expensive meal, with drinks, but a special treat. The resort hotel also gave my husband a complimentary birthday cake, which tasted fab!
Due to staying in the Premium Deluxe rooms, we were able to access the Club lounge. Whilst this was nice, the facilities were slightly deceiving and disappointing. Tea and Coffee was free during the day, but not water or soft drinks. The all-day snacks advertised were 2 jars of cookies and the free cocktails and drinks between 5.30-7pm daily, were restricted to 3 per person and in 11 days, it was only the same cocktail that was available. The plus side was that the evening canapés were nice and you could have beer/spirits/wine in your free drink quota.
My husband had a lovely suit made, whilst you get lots of touts in the street outside, we went with the services of Pooja, which is located in the resort gift shop and we cannot recommend them more highly. The suit is excellent and cost 4200THB, which is roughly£80.
We also booked our Elephant Trek, via Amazing Bukit Eco Adventures Safari tour, who we also used for our transfer back to the airport, again, who we recommend. The agent for this was in a small counter of the shops nearby (walk past the Irish bar, outside the hotel, turn left and she is on your left by the back exit of Happiness massage parlour).The trek was at a beautiful reserve, with the elephants kept in good conditions.
We also went to Patong via Tuk Tuk several times, for some shopping, expect to haggle, but there are bargains to be had! All in all, a lovely hotel and holiday, my only bug-bear was the lack of sun-loungers, so you have to get up at unearthly times to reserve one and if it like this in the low season, then I can only imagine how awful it must be when the hotel is at full capacity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the heart of Karon Town, with an abundance of eateries and entertainment options at its doorstep and Karon Beach a short stroll away, the resort is perfectly located to experience the many facets of Phuket. As a destination in its own right, Centara Karon Resort Phuket fulfils every holiday aspiration, from pure bliss at Spa Cenvaree to active holidays and family fun with activities galore, yoga sessions, three swimming pools, waterslides and a kids’ club. This four-star resort, laid out within beautiful gardens backed by green hills, is comprised of four very distinctive residential zones. Couples and small families will find the rooms and Honeymoon Suites at the Terraces a comfortable retreat, and enjoy the option of ocean view or a private outdoor Jacuzzi; while families and groups of friends are spoilt for choice with spacious guestrooms set moments away from the waterslide and games of the Lagoon pool. The generously-sized one- and two-bedroom Cabanas feature a private terrace with a plunge Jacuzzi. As a fun place for families, the resort has a kids’ club with daily activities and three expansive swimming pool areas complete with three children’s pools for the younger ones to splash in, two waterslides and pool games. Pool parties are held regularly, and other activities include tennis and football. The resort also has two restaurants, a sports bar, and three swim-up pool bars A scheduled shuttle service takes guests from the resort to Patong, and Phuket International Airport is reached in less than one hour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia, Agoda, Expedia, Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Centara Karon Resort Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Karon Resort Phuket Hotel Karon
- Centara Karon Hotel Phuket
- Centara Hotel Karon