“Robbed as we slept”
Review of Golden Sand Inn

Golden Sand Inn
Ranked #96 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 29 January 2010

This hotel is a dangerous place to stay, Whilst staying here on our HONEYMOON, Our LOCKED bedroom was robbed of all our cash as we slept and the management WANTED TO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT...
We even had to call the police ourselves, and I was left to search the grounds alone where I eventually found my empty wallet on a fire escape. STAY AWAY

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ionapat

Reviewed 11 January 2010

We booked the hotel based on reviews from TripAdvisor and a collegue of mine. Out of a two weeks stay we booked a family room for 7 days due to a pretty low price and the location next to the beach. The hotel is located at Karon Circle and and approx 30 meter from the nice Karon beach with at highly trafficked road in between. The noice from the traffic was not very disturbing in the room but earplugs are recommended for sensitive people. We are a family of 4 persons and the family room is actually 2 double rooms which gave a lot of space and 2 bathrooms. The rooms where of medium standard (some paintjob would be nice), a minibar with very low prices and two TVs. The cleaning was barely okey. The poolarea is very good with a large pool and most often enough of sunbeds. There is also a poolbar where you can order food and drinks of all kinds. In the pool area they also have thai massage for 50 baht higher than on the street. In the area there is plenty of resturants, a well equiped gym (New Karon Gym, just by the round about) and shops. The hotel also has their own taxi driver so its easy to get a god deal for transportation. When we where there it was mainly scandinavian guests (most Swedish). The staff was friendly and helpfull. They also has WiFi in the public areas and a couple of computers with internet connection in the reception area to rent for a low price.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank klaroussi
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I generally agree with the hotel's advertisements and other reviews here.

I had one of the standard bungalows in December 2009 and I wasn't expecting a 4-star facility so I wasn't terribly disappointed.

The quality level is definitely 2-star but for the price and location is was what I asked for and expected.

The room was a tad worn and the locks on the door were a bit flimsy but those issues can be tolerated.

I was disappointed that I had specifically inquired in advance whether there were in-room safes. The hotel assured me there were and there were not in-room safes.

They had safe deposit boxes at the reception desk and that method worked but it was inconvient for me to keep going there to request access every time I wanted to get my camera or wallet, etc.

The restaurant and pool were nice and as with most of Thailand the service was very good.

The hotel is just across the road from the beach and more importantly within walking distance of the shops and restaurants at Karon Circle.

I'm getting a bit disappointed with Phuket though because a taxi/tuk tuk fare is outrageous. It's B300 each way from Karon to Patong and that price is completely unreasonable. You can go just about anywhere in Bangkok for B100. B300 is comparable to New York, DC and Las Vegas. So, unless you don't mind B300 every time you will be staying close to your hotel in Phuket.

As far as the hotel I was generally happy, especially because of its proximity to the center of town, but in-room safes are important to me so I have doubts about returning.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MT5211
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I have maybe marked the hotel a little lower than i should as it was nice but average. You get adjoining bungalows which are nice, the pool is lovely. It is a 30 second walk into Karon Bar which is nice with bars restaurants and shops or if you want something lively you can go to Patong which is £6 - £8 in a Tuk Tuk and they are outside the hotel but they do fit quite a few of people in so you can share the cost. You just cross over a road and you are straight on the beach which is lovely as well. Breakfast is included and its a buffet which is lovely as it is open and you can see the beach.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rach228
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I walked in this inn during Chinese New Year holiday in 2008. Very friendly and helpful staff. Good price for the very peak season. Room is quite spacious with an airy balcony. Room is certainly not new but nice and clean. The rooms on the 3rd floor have very nice sea view. The only problem is that the traffic makes it a bit noisy sometimes. Breakfast is OK, with very nice beach view at the restaurant, but again, a bit noisy with the traffic.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WinnieMacau
Reviewed 15 November 2007

Fantastic little oasis.
Friendly, easy going staff, excellent rates and very 'tame' hotel driver (for a few baht!)
Hats off to excellent reception staff who could not do enough for us!

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 October 2007

I stayed there in 2001, with my familly and my boyfriend. I think it was a nice hotell. The only bad thing is that we didn't have ocean view from our hotel room. That would have been nice.
The hotel food was ok and the pool to but i do prefer the ocean.
/Carolina