“Worst hotel ever- spoiled our holiday”

Secret Cliff Resort
Ranked #102 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Helsinki
“Worst hotel ever- spoiled our holiday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel manager acts iresresponsible! She doesn't provide us service we payed for (breakfast) and wouldn't reply when we asked what is the problem! We lost our money but she just sayed that we have to double-pay for the breakfast!! Don't spoil your holiday and waste money in this hotel! I warned you.. :(

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Stenbb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I submitted my review on booking.com before I went back and compared the room I had to the room I was supposed to have.

At the time my actual room did have a superb view and I mentioned as such in my review. What I failed to realise was that the room I had booked on Booking.com was a MUCH nicer room in their photos than the one I ended up with.

So I will address that misrepresentation here, as it became a sore point this trip with some hotels NOT delivering what they promised, and others over-delivering.

Apart from the above, whatever I said on booking.com remains true. Despite the million dollar view (from my less than promised million dollar room) I can't recommend this place. A) because what you book and what you get are not the same I now know. but mainly because of....
B) the room I had was so DAMN NOISY. It's a concrete building, and the main restaurant is housed above the rooms, so every night starting around 5 and going thru til midnite you hear the sound of chairs and tables being dragged on bare concrete, and that goes STRAIGHT to your room like fingernails on a blackboard. Then it starts again at breakfast.

Also, and to be fair I knew this up front, the hotel is not in easy walking distance to anywhere, and so you pay higher than average prices for what they offer on the menu, and you cant just slip down to Patong or Karon for a taste of the nightlife, unless you are prepared to get ripped off, and I do mean ripped off, by the taxi mafia in both directions. ie Karon is a 40min walk down hill, its a 5 minute drive back up the same hill, for which they want 250baht. 350 if you want to go Patong, which is a little further away.

But if, hypothetically, you had wanted a cheap room with a million dollar view and its your honeymoon, and you have no intention of leaving the room for 3 days, and you have a bag full of pre bought food and drink, then you might find this is the best place you've ever been. So again perhaps to be fair (or fairer than they deserve), the prices on the food when taken into account the price of the room (I paid $49 per night) the value isn't too bad. But what is unforgiveable is the noise, and the fact that they don't give you the room you see on line. That's dishonest, and if I can lose the hotel just one client by telling the truth, that they lie, then I'll rest easier.

I specifically booked a room called the "Deluxe double with Ocean View" on booking.com. So compare the photos of that room with my actual room photo attached and you'll see what I mean

Room Tip: Location in so far as its on a cliff delivering awesome views, gets it a 4. On the other hand, those...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank blisteringbarnacles
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The hotel is nicely located on a hillside with nice sea views. It is a bit secluded from the road noise and from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Our room was on the very top of the resort on a very steep road. We have been using our scooters to move within the compound and to go to the breakfast room/restaurant that is located on the other side of the main road. Some days, traffic was so intense that it was difficult to cross the road to go to breakfast.
Rooms are O.K. but very basic. It was relatively clean even if the garden/access roads were not well taken care of.
The worst part of the hotel is the staff who is having a terrible attitude. Almost rude at times and totally not reflecting the Thai legendary hospitality. Receptionists seemed overwhelmed and were simply incompetents. Restaurant staff was just O.K. as long as you do not ask them anything.
Own transportation mean is necessary if you stay at Secret Cliff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We spent 7 nights @ this hotel in early March and had a very relaxing break. The food was beautiful, although a little pricey but with magnificent views over Karon Bay, it was well worth it.
They have a pianist play most nights while having dinner, which, whilst taking in the night lights of Karon and the fishing boats out working, is a great way to finish off the day.
A shuttle leaves after breakfast for both Karon and Patong which is a simple 5 to 7 minute ride.
The staff were fantastic, as most Thai people are and always with that loveable Thai smile.
Rooms were a bit small where we stayed, but with a big balcony looking out over the Andaman Sea, why would you want to stay in your room?.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Restaurant side of the road as there are two sides of the highway used for the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SSS1960
Phuket Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

helpful friendly staff...great location ...rooms clean and secure..highly recommend a visit..far enough away from the hussle and bussle of patong but still only a 5 minute ride in..great buffett breakfast..cool aircdfon in room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Miami Fla.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent 37 days in Room 129, the room with the spectacular view!!
Our room was perfect, clean, comfortable, big, with all the necessary conveniences.
We found the hotel to be in a great and convenient location...between Karon Beach and Patong Beach. It is not within walking distance of either place...,Tuk Tuk fare about 300 Baht.
The staff was very respectful, friendly and always willing to help.
The Breakfast area has a magnificent view. The breakfast offered a good variety and was well presented.
When booking this hotel, we would suggest you book at the resort.

Room Tip: The rooms with the sea views are great! Rooms 120-129.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SmokingSam
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We loved this hotel. WE had a sea view hotel and the view was incredible. The room was huge!!! Breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only drawback to this hotel was the stairs but when you are on a hillside, that is what you get. We would stay here again. We liked the location because it was right inbetween the two great beaches and shopping. Unfortunately, you had to get a tuk tuk or taxi to go anywhere because of the traffic. However, the staff always got us rides when needed and there was no problem getting a tuk tuk back to the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower side of the hotel are better than on the upper side.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family