“pleasant & comfortable stay”

Pineapple Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 148 Karon B&B and Inns
Makati, Philippines
“pleasant & comfortable stay”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived in Phuket on a late evening flight, but it was a hassle-free trip from the airport to the guesthouse because I requested for an airport pickup from Steve days before I flew in. And although it was already very late (almost midnight, I think) when I reached the guesthouse, somebody is still up to meet me & checking-in was very swift. My room was very cozy. I was actually quite surprised & pleased that the room has exceeded my expectations of a "guesthouse" accommodation. My room was so spacious & big enough for a family of 3 or 4. I was actually expecting my room to be a bit noisy because it was already at the far end of the building & facing the main road. But no, each night was a very restful sleep for me :) I can't say anything bad about the cleanliness either, because my room was cleaned everyday whenever I'm out in the beach or in a tour. However, I suggest that the common area near the stairs should be cleared of clutter, its a bit of an eye sore.

The guesthouse also has a good location being just a 5-minute walk to the beachfront. Food is also not a problem as there are a lot of restaurants & a 7-Eleven store nearby.

The staff are pleasant, and kudos to Sai who is very hospitable & helpful especially when there was a last-minute change in one of my scheduled tour. It's also good to note that they speak English so communication is really not a problem.

Overall, I had a very pleasant & relaxing stay at Pineapple Guesthouse and will definitely recommend & stay there again when I get the chance to return to Phuket.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jhe0402

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I cannot recommend this guesthouse highly enough. We had been told my everyone to skip Phuket, or get to an island as soon as we could. We happened upon Pineapple Guesthouse at Karon, and ended up loving it so much we came back again post-island excursions before heading North. It is SO close to the nicest beach in Phuket, and Karon beach is an incredible beautiful beach that's not too crowded, and has beauitful sunsets. It's not in the main tourist area, so it's still peaceful, but it has all the restaurants and spas and shops you'd need or want. There is great street food right outside the door (try to seafood pad thai, banana pancakes with everything on top, and mango smoothies!) and a convenient store and ATMs right out front as well. The best pad thai on Phuket (really, incredible, try it!) is at the Pad Thai Shop, full of locals, about a 5 minute walk from the guesthouse. And the manager is really kind and accommodating. He even upgraded up to a nicer room since it wasn't booked! Wifi is great, the rooms are large and cozy and like a hotel (fridge, A/C, and all), you can borrow extra beach towels as well... Stay here! You won't regret it!! I envy you and wish I could go back.

Room Tip: Any! They are all close to the beach :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Manou1st
PineapplePhuket, Owner at Pineapple Guesthouse, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thanks for the excellent review. It is appreciated and glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were arriving in Phuket late at night and booked a taxi through the guesthouse. Unfortunately there was no taxi there and it turned out that the manager had not passed on the information about us needing a taxi. We were bothered by the 'taxi mafia' at the airport and felt unsafe. We managed to call Pineapple and they sent us a taxi ... an hour later at no discounted rate. As apology we received a free breakfast but it hardly made up for it. The front office lady was not very helpful. I felt she was interested in making as much money as possible with no care to the guests. We asked her about visiting the nearby 'Wat Chalong' and she told us it was hard to get there, instead we should ask her boyfriend (the taxi driver!!) to take us there. It was very expensive so we took the local bus and it was quick, cheap and easy (we asked the restaurant next door for information). I understand her need to make money but this is a guesthouse so guests are looking for advice on how to do things cheaply. She also tried to make us book ferry tickets through her at an inflated price compared to the local agent. Very disappointed with my stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank travelbugHK1
I couldn't remember this incident with the taxi but then realised the review is from a guest who stayed almost a year ago, so no surprise.

Mistakes do occasionally happen and we can only apologise.
uk
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice clean hotel with friendly staff located reasonably near kata beach (15-20 min walk) Good wifi. Good size room. A bit hard to find at night coming from the airport. Staff will arrange taxi for you for day trips at a good price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bgjUk
Niagara Falls
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Hi Travelers! I am sure most will find this hostel acceptable (comparably speaking)..and for the price its O.K. However, upon our arrival we did not feel welcomed. Staff were not overly friendly. They didnt bother to pull up our reservation so they gave us a room with a balcony. We offered to switch rooms because that was not what we booked but we were told not to worry. Well beware! We ended up getting charged.

The owner/manager? sounded British and seemed a little sneaky about our room situation (maybe trying to get more money during off seasons?). Simple hello and goodbyes would of made our stay more pleasurable. We did go in the off season so I understand its a dead town and things get depressing...but keeping staff attitude up is called good business!

Anyways, rooms were ok for price. Shower right beside toliet (commonly found in Thailand). Few small bugs in our bed and room - maybe because room wasnt used for a while due to off season. Who knows. Nothing special, probably find better if you looked. About 10 min walk to beach if you go slow.

I would suggest going to Patong (despite what you hear about the night life). During the off season it is the better place to be - not deserted but not crowed at all. Quite nice. Karon beach is so close, so if you hate one place then its easy to hop in a cab and move.

Safe Travels!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
PineapplePhuket, Owner at Pineapple Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Not the same story regarding the room as I, the unfriendly Brit, got from my staff. The guests said they thought they had booked a balcony room whereas we had them booked into a standard. They were the ones that couldn't find their reservation.

They then decided the area was too quiet for them so asked to check out after one night despite having booked four nights through an online agent. Had they stayed four we'd have only charged the standard room rate but for one night we charged the full rate for the superior room but did not charge a cancellation fee, as we are entitled to do according to the terms and conditions of their booking, so they were actually better off. Many places would have charged the full four nights.

Finally a hello/goodbye from the owner as appreciation for their stay: they arrived late and I was at home, they checked out after one night so I didn't exactly feel appreciative of their custom so I'm afraid a friendly "goodbye, thanks for staying with us, see you again some time" was not warranted in this instance.
Samut Sakhon, Thailand
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights while she was visiting me in Thailand. The property was close to the beach, has all the amenities we needed and has great owners. I got really sick and Steve went out of his way to make sure I was okay and got taken care of. They were able to point us in the direction of places to go and never hesitated to have a conversation with us. Recommended and appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed in the 10 bed dorm for two nights and had a great time!
The staff are amazingly friendly and there was never a single problem when we were there!
There were plenty other people travelling and it was good to meet them all as we shared the same dorm!
Aircon was available and we all had lockers with private keys each.
Safe place and pretty convenient in terms of situation!
Had a great time!

Room Tip: Make sure you book online incase they sell out of room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo