“Professional and recommended”

Andaman Leisure Phuket Co., Ltd.
Ranked #21 of 212 Tours in Phuket Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and our three children (15,13,7) took the James Bond Island tour last week with friends and their two children. The hotel pick up was on time and we were at the Marina for an hour before the tour left. Free Wi-Fi and free tea/coffee/water were provided so we were not fussed about the wait. I highly recommend you buy (as we did) a waterproof case (AUD$15 at the ALP shop) for your phone/camera. The shop also has a good range of hats, swimmers, goggles etc.

We had 22 customers on our boat which made it a comfortable fit. The pre and post JBI canoeing was good fun in beautiful surroundings and well handled by the paddlers supplied by ALP. The cave canoeing is a very tight fit and I would not recommend for the claustrophobic or the obese customer. James Bond Island is not visited, you just look at it from the adjacent island. By itself JBI has no more going for it than any other island in the area and given how many people (6 tour boats that I counted) were on the adjacent island in our low season visit I can't begin to imagine how crowded it would be in high season. Still, I still enjoyed the experience.

The lunch ('Thai food. Not spicy') at the floating village was a buffet. The fried rice was delicious, everything else qualified as the worst food we had on our 10 day Phuket holiday; deep fried chicken and battered seafood were both barely eatable and the vegetables were soggy. It seemed to be as bland as possible to broaden its appeal. Surely a green chicken curry is easy and more popular than the sludge we were served?

After lunch we had about 40 mins to explore the village which consists, as far as any lunchtime tourist is concerned, solely of endless market stalls selling exactly what you find in every other Phuket market. I would have preferred to see the mosque. The island beach was the last stop and was an excellent way to chill out. Beach lounges were 100 baht each (AUD$3.50) and the beer was the same price each. Being low season the water visibility was poor. The actual beach was lovely but no better than our local beach at home. Of course the whole 'tropical holiday beach bar and water activities' (eg jet ski) experience made it so much enjoyable.

Another hour on the beach would have been ideal. We arrived back at the Marina about 4.20 and purchased a pre-departure framed family photo for 200 baht. The cost for our family of five was about AUD$500 plus small tips and drinks & ice creams on the beach. Overall I thought it was good value given the professionalism of ALP. There are other tour operators who are cheaper but I would choose a ALP again should we do another similar tour. A better lunch and another 30 mins at the island beach would have elevated this to a 5 star review.

1  Thank RossCC

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked a trip to Phi Phi to see Maya Bay and Bamboo island, as advertised. These are the star locations in the tour. The tour company cancelled both due to bad weather. Understandable--if it isn't safe, you can't go. But after talking to others we found out that they hadn't been able to do these locations for a few days, yet they continued to sell the tour promoting them.

I think most of the reviewers that THINK they have seen Maya Bay have actually not seen it if they took this trip in the early July 2014. They take you to a similar (but nowhere near as breathtaking) place. I've actually been to Maya Bay and happened to enquire why we weren't there and that was the first time anyone mentioned the cancellation. Again, I'm not complaining about the cancellation itself, but about the fact that the company promoted the tour in a deceptive way. The substitute locations were not even close to what was cut.

Additional points: The staff was great, no problem with them. You do need to be absolutely IMMUNE to sea sickness to take this trip. If you EVER have motion sickness, you will have it for sure on this journey. One of the guides dislocated his shoulder on the trip because the sea was so rough it literally threw him (and a number of others) out of his seat and onto the deck. You've never been on a roller coaster like this. Personally, I found this to be the most fun part of the trip, but others were very sea sick and a few were visibly frightened.

1  Thank TomA2
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We did the Phi Phi Islands day tour and highly recommend this tour company. It was professionally organised, the guide and photographer were engaging and informative. The captain deserves a mention for his skills in the trickier waters. The tour schedule was plentiful and we had ample time at each destination. The speedboat sat 30 people and there was no overcrowding, unlike what we had heard about other companies. The food was also very good and we were all well catered for. In terms of cost, this is more expensive than other companies, but you definitely get what you pay for in Phuket.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I were in Thailand in December 13 and we had two tours booked with the Andaman tour group, to Phi Phi Island and also to James Bond Island and both were excellent! Unfortunately for the Phi Phi Island tour it was raining, but the crew made it very worthwhile anyway. I would certainly book again with Andaman tour company, especially after seeing how glum and crouded some other tour groups looked with other companies. Andaman made it fun all day long!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went on the Phi Phi Island tour with these guys and the crew we got were fantastic!! Always smiling and laughing with the guests. The cameraman we had was hilarious a real character and also very informative as well as pointing out allot of interesting things. We asked for a Russian translator and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. The skipper made us feel very comfortable and put us on some very good snorkelling spots. Well worth doing!!