“Quieter and more pleasant than Patong hotels.”

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #2 of 93 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I travel to Phuket for business frequently. I avoid Patong for the mess.

First time trying Westin and am pleasantly surprise by the overall experience.

Had some time to spare and tried the spa which was very good but expensive. Food was decent but not excellent for Westin standards.

Had time to also participate in the Muay Thai free activity and had a really good work out and time.

Pool looks good. Had a private dip pool in my room so didn't try the public ones.

Room was ordinary but clean. I had a suite room with pool access.

• Stayed: March 2014
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Chivas02,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience of your first visit to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that you had some time to relax and enjoy our Heavenly Spa by Westin and Muay Thai lesson we provide to our guests. It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed your experience here.
Thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

2nd stay back to Westin Siray Bay, my first stay wasn't that impressive with no staff to assist me with luggage and poor concierge team. This time round however service greatly improve, I book a hotel transportation like my first stay and things are still the same, the transport was outsource to Hello Phuket instead of their own Westin brand car, this got to do with the taxi mafia and the local govt so I don't blame the resort. It roughly take 40mins to reach the resort and will cost 1200THB with the hotel transport, once arrive I was immediately greeted with a staff holding drinks to welcome me, thats what I call real service and as a SPG gold I was escorted to the SPG desk without queuing up, I email to their Westin experience manager Mr Lopez for an early check-in request and it was given when I arrived so I was really relieved to be able to freshen up after an early flight. 2 thumbs up for great service improvement!

I booked a deluxe room this time and its located on the Prego Pool Wing which face the open sea that I like alot, at evening the low tide that expose the muddy beach can be quite an eyesore but thats only for awhile. The room was okay but with signs of wear and tear, please note that if your on the highest floor like us, your room will tend to be hotter in the afternoon, their old air-con is not powerful enough to cool the room instantly like the one in Regent so you will have to bear with the heat awhile. We also experience power failure for awhile during a thunderstorm while we were having our in-room dining but it lasted for less than 2mins which I think their backup generator took over.

Breakfast at the restaurant was perfect, with some new dishes everyday and wide variety of range from asia/thai/western/indian, their cappuccino taste really good but their juices are obviously pour from packet as its so thick. There was a group of I believe new staff training at the restaurant and they didn't smile a single bit, I understand they are new but its quite werid their senior staff didn't say anything. We went to Seasonal Tastes for lunch but none of the staff seems interested to serve us at the entrance so I got angry and just walk away, didn't raise any issue with their manager or staff and I walk to Plylaem Seafood restuarant behind the resort when the reception tell me its just a 10min walk. Food was fabulous there and with an incredible view, its really a hidden gem as we did not see any single tourist except us. We ordered in room dining for dinner on 2 nights as their surprisingly their India food was great, especially their tandoori chicken and butter naan, price was reasonable for a 5 star resort.

I have a bill issue with my pre-arranged roses thats double charge and the reception said he will cancel 1 off, but when I came back from Phuket Fantasea on 12am+ the bill was sent again to my room regarding the roses, this make me mad and I went to the reception to enquire about it, the supervisor was kind enough and say he will surely cancel it for me but the manager wasn't informed about this when I check out and spoke with Mr Lopez so kinda sad about the communication. Resort is situated on a hill, so walking on a slope is common but they have buggy to fetch you if you need 1. Theres nothing around the area, the nearest mini mart is around 30mins walking distance so taxi is your best friend, it can get expensive if you keep on rely on them which charge by 500-800THB EACH WAY which is why we choose to dine in on 2 nights. We went to Patong when we visit Tiger Kingdom and found nothing of interest there except beer so it was 1800THB for 2 ways..thats insane price even for Singapore standard.. So If your looking for party don't stay here, if your looking for quiet and peaceful place to relax then Westin Siray Bay can be a good resort.;)

Room Tip: Room on the prego pool wing gives you better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dae89

Dear Kelele_10,

Thank you for sharing experience of your second visit. It is wonderful that you chose to stay with us again. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our services and the variety of options we provide at breakfast.

My sincere apologies for the experience you had at Seasonal Tastes and the issue with the bills. I have personally shared this with our team. Only with your valuable feedback, we can truly learn and improve.

Thank you for your review and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Let's face it, the hotel rooms are a bit run down for the usual Westin standards. Clean but run down. They are in need of substantial renovation.
The breakfast buffet is actually nice. Good and wide variety of food, excellent filter coffee presented in your own coffee filter jar, fresh smoothies...
The spa is nice but expensive.
The hotel is a 10/15 min car ride from Central Festival.
What makes the place worth is the excellent service. The staff are just great.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear P23young,

Thank you for your time to share your stay experience with other travelers here on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and its variety.

I also thank you for highlighting the services of our associates. It is wonderful to know that you felt well looked after. Thank you very much for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had done a hotel inspection of Westin Siray Bay some years ago not long after it opened. At the time I thought the positive energy of a new property probably warranted putting it on my list of places to stay in Phuket. I should not have put it there in the first place.

Check in time was 15.00 hrs. which I thought was quite late when a lot of other hotels were letting you in by 14.00 hrs. but I hung around the island until it was time. When I got there, I got a room upgrade but had to wait another 30 minutes to use it. I did appreciate the upgrade but not the wait after a long day and considering the fact that the check out time was 12.00 hrs. so the room should have been ready, upgrade or not.

The room itself had a nice bay view and was a spacious suite. The bathroom was huge and came with plenty of amenities. The shower stall door, however, was replaced with a cheap wooden panel instead of the normal glass one that must have shattered. I liked the small sink area with the wonderful coffee/tea facilities, as well as the DVD player, though had I known about the upgrade before checking in I would have brought a few DVDs to pass the time.

Then came a very sleepless night as the key card malfunctioned and lights and A/C kept switching on and off at will until morning. The problem was fixed in the evening of the next day when an electrician was summoned.

Another minus point for the hotel was that it was chock full of guests everywhere you went. Sure, it signified good business for the hotel, but it spelled doom for anyone yearning for a quiet holiday. The lobby was always overflowing people, and both check in and check out had considerable waiting times, though you were processed quickly once you get to the reception desk. With its hillside setting, you had to call and wait for a buggy to go anywhere. Service was not slow but I did feel helpless somehow having to rely on that mode of transport.

Last but not least, I did not appreciate that you had to pay for in-room Wi-Fi while many hotels nowadays offer it free. One more thing that was not free was breakfast. That was probably my fault when I did not read the fine print when booking, but considering the hotel is located in an area where there were zero restaurant or convenience stores nearby during the day, guests really had little choice but to jostle with others at the buffet breakfast lines. I actually skipped breakfast on both days in quiet protest of the policy.

Westin Siray Bay turned out to be a not-so-good choice on Phuket for me when they were so many other properties to choose from.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Chattan_k
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Khun Chattan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it continually allows us the opportunity to improve our services.

I apologize that the experience you had. I have personally spoken to our Chief Engineer regarding the electrical problems. We will also check the bathroom and take immediate actions to have the shower stall door fixed. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Regarding the breakfast, we do have packages both with and without to provide more choices for guests and their needs.

Khun Chattan, I would like to apologize and thank you for informing us of your experience. I hope in the future you would grant us another opportunity to restore your faith in The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had a great time during my stay in the resort. Very friendly and humble people at the front desk, good maintainance of the property and good customer service.

The only problematic area I can talk about is the shuttle service going to the town. It looks similar to the local taxi service where you pay and ride. In such a hihg scale resort, I believe this should be offered as a free service as a gesture to the guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4Sunny31
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Pros:
+ great service
+ awesome view from the pools
+ went to the main pool & Prego's pool - my daughter & I enjoyed it!

Cons:
- we've been offered/upgraded to a 3 bedroom-villa with an affordable price but the private pool was filled with the dried leaves. we stayed for 3 nights but we didnt see anyone clean-up the pool except on the first day when we arrived (after I called). perhaps u could clean the pool early in the morning so we could spend some time in the pool instead of going to the other three pools that you've offered (which I have no complaints about, all your 3 pools are awesome too). But same time we feel wasted, cos the main reason we agreed to the renewal villa so we could also swim in the pool privately.. ;(

- far from town and all the tourist attractions ie Pathong, Fantasea Show

Room Tip: we got a good offer on the renewal villa, the rooms are great but I think the view has been blocked...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tO0tsie
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a long overdue review, but I hope this helps the next person.

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and was extremely excited about this place when we read the reviews and saw all the beautiful pictures on tripadvisor and the hotel's website. Service was good and our room was great!!! The only thing my wife did not like were all the geckos that were around the resort including the few geckos we found in the room as well. Do not freak out, just call the front desk and they will take care of it. We always had fruits in our room and when we first arrived, they did a great job decorating the bed with rose petals since they knew we were on our honeymoon. Food was decent and the mood was very relaxing. Both my wife and I were truly enjoying ourselves.

Now the overall trip went very well, until we found out we got duped. We had originally used our accumulated Starwood points to book a room at the Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket and when we got there we were told that they had a special offer in which we could get an even better, larger room for another price that was slightly higher than what we had originally booked through Starwood. We were ecstatic about the offer. When we spoke to the clerk and their manager, we were assured that we would be refunded back our Starwood points from our previous booking within a week since we had to pay for the room outright with either credit card, cash, etc. BIG MISTAKE!! The clerk told us to call Starwood after 7 days because it would take that long to process the order. We asked several times to both the clerk and her manager to confirm that we would get back our Starwood points before we booked it with our credit card and both confirmed that we would. Our hotel stay was only for 5 days so we were already flying out of Phuket by the time 7 days had come. So, I decided to wait until our vacation was finished before I would call Starwood. WELL GUESS WHAT!! Not only did we pay for the room in full outright, but we never got our Starwood points back. The hotel is now claiming that it was an additional cost on top of our Starwood points. We told Starwood that we had asked several times, and the clerk and her manager both confirmed that we would get back our points since we were paying it full on the spot. The back and forth led to no where, and usually I am very careful and would get something in writing, but seeing that this was the Westin and I was on our honeymoon I would not worry. I should have trusted my instincts.

Now we are out the Starwood points and a bad taste is left in our mouth with the Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket. It would have a been a perfect honeymoon, except for this big hiccup. Till this day my Starwood points is still somewhere in Phuket. I just don't know where.

So my advice for foreigner, travelers, visitors, guest, couples, etc. be careful of what they say. Get it all in writing even if you need the General Manager there to sign something on the spot, And if they tell you that the reversal of the Starwood points will not show up on the bill because it was through "Starwood", just say NO to their offer. Do not buy into what they say because my thought is that for every room they can upgrade the guests, the clerks get an incentive. And by the time you leave Phuket, how can you argue with them when you are 10000 miles away of what was said. Apparently, this is the tactic they like to use in my opinion.

So be careful, don't be duped.

Hope this helps the next couple that decides to choose the Westin Siray Bay Resort and Spa Phuket for their honeymoon trip. With what I have said, one may ask why I did not give them 1 star and the reason is because I really liked the resort, so 2 stars is what I gave..

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Rey T

Dear Rey T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We very much appreciate your feedback as it continually allows us to review and improve our service and facilities.

It was unfortunate to learn of the disappointment you experienced, more specially the issue with Starpoints you mentioned. I hope to have an opportunity to assist you in this situation. Please contact me directly and I look forward to receiving further details of your stay in 2013 so that I can investigate and take appropriate corrective action.

Again, I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectation. I thank you for your feedback and hope to hear from you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 329 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!